Colby Cave | In Memoriam

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Emily is such a sweetheart. You can tell just how much she loved her husband every time that you hear her talk about him. It maybe inappropriate this close to his passing, but I really hope that she finds someone special that will treat her the way that she deserves to be treated if/when she decides to start dating again. She deserves happiness and love. What an amazing woman and an amazing couple they were.

Last edited:

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Providence Bruins create memorial award to honor Colby Cave - The Boston Globe

The Providence Bruins, in partnership with the Cave Family and the Boston Bruins Foundation, have created an award in memory of former player Colby Cave, who died suddenly in April at the age of 25.

The Colby Cave Memorial Award will be presented each season to a Providence Bruins player who demonstrates dedication to the community and charitable organizations, the team announced Tuesday. Cave, who spent five seasons in Providence, was a vocal mental health advocate.

“The Colby Cave Memorial Award is a special way to honor and remember Colby for his leadership qualities and humanitarian efforts,” Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said in a statement. “Driven and committed to be an NHL player, Colby was also uniquely unselfish with teammates and anyone that needed help.”

“From the first day he stepped into the Dunkin’ Donuts Center to the day he left for the NHL, Colby Cave inspired each and every one of us with his diligence, selflessness, and compassion,” said P-Bruins coach Jay Leach in a statement. “Always the first to help, both with his teammates, and throughout our community, Colby set the precedent that we aspire to uphold.”

The Bruins traded Cave to the Edmonton Oilers in the middle of the 2018-19 season.

In the weeks after Cave’s death, the Oilers created the Colby Cave Memorial Fund. Proceeds from the fund have benefitted community programs, with an emphasis on supporting mental health initiatives and providing access to sports for underprivileged children.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Man was I disgusted last night reading Emily Cave's Instagram post I was just disgusted with the human race.

Really making fun of and calling out a widow who lost her husband at such a sudden age and at such a horrible time where she couldn't have in person support from friends and family.

Give your f***ing heads a shake whoever did this

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Man was I disgusted last night reading Emily Cave's Instagram post I was just disgusted with the human race.

Really making fun of and calling out a widow who lost her husband at such a sudden age and at such a horrible time where she couldn't have in person support from friends and family.

Man are some people just a waste of air. They were always out there. Worst part of social media is how we can hear them from the dark holes they live in

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Pretty sickening to hear; social media is a dumpster fire (look no further than your average Facebook comment section).

I hope she's ok. :(
Yep. They ran a small segment on the morning talk show here in Saskatchewan where Colby is from and lets just say that what some people texted/Dmd, etc to her is wretched and despicable. Why have we lost common decency in our society? I too hope she is ok and moves forward, safely and positively.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yep. They ran a small segment on the morning talk show here in Saskatchewan where Colby is from and lets just say that what some people texted/Dmd, etc to her is wretched and despicable. Why have we lost common decency in our society? I too hope she is ok and moves forward, safely and positively.

I think we have to be careful in determining that social media equals society. Indeed the last place a person in pain or grieving should be exposed to is social media. This of course being the abode of trolls, teenagers with nothing better to do, social misfits, outcasts, and some people prone to antisocial personality profiles.

Community can exist, and good people exist, and I participate here in a moderated community because we can grow community here, have interaction, etc. In other places the hurtful trollng and abuse is not controlled, contained or even discouraged.

Social media is not society. Its almost the opposite.

The national reaction to something like the Humboldt crash tells us that Society is still intact. The outpourings of support specific to Colby Cave and his widow exist and tell us society is functioning. But don't look for it in asocial places.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
I think we have to be careful in determining that social media equals society. Indeed the last place a person in pain or grieving should be exposed to is social media. This of course being the abode of trolls, teenagers with nothing better to do, social misfits, outcasts, and some people prone to antisocial personality profiles.

Community can exist, and good people exist, and I participate here in a moderated community because we can grow community here, have interaction, etc. In other places the hurtful trollng and abuse is not controlled, contained or even discouraged.

Social media is not society. Its almost the opposite.

The national reaction to something like the Humboldt crash tells us that Society is still intact. The outpourings of support specific to Colby Cave and his widow exist and tell us society is functioning. But don't look for it in asocial places.
Excellent perspective Drive. Thanks for that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

Not surprised in the least given some of the shit that has been said since Saturday on here and Twitter. There are too many idiots out there.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
My thoughts and prayers go out to Emily. As far as I can tell she is a truly beautiful and special woman inside and out. Anyone that would say such things to a young widow is nothing more than a waste of oxygen or a stupid kid that needs to grow the hell up. I hope that she can find peace as she is still so young and hopefully has many happy years ahead of her. Perhaps getting out of the spotlight will allow her to focus more on herself and her happiness. She has been so strong through all of this, but she is right that you can't help everyone else when you are in need of help as well.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home
Very unfortunate and saddening that people would say hurtful things to Emily Cave when she's just trying to grieve her Husband's passing, and do it in a way to allow others in to see Colby Cave in the way that she saw him. She could have done it privately and instead made a choice to do it publicly so people could see how great of a guy Colby was, and clearly by her comments by exposing people to who Colby was and how he lived his life to try to make the world a better place. I applaud her for that, especially given that she did this while she was very emotionally raw (something anybody with any sense of empathy and a half functioning heart could see). What she shared was both devastating and uplifting and it made me feel better and more hopeful about the state of the world. Bringing more love into the world is always a good thing.

Sadly, some people lash out at others because of their own hurt/trauma/feelings in order to bring others down, or they judge and criticize and project to make themselves feel superior. It's just a shame that this would happen for Emily in this way and a shame that there are people who lack empathy and compassion for others, or their empathy and compassion is overridden by judgement and hate and that they either don't realize how inappropriate and devastating their actions are, or they're that broken that they want others to suffer, or they're just looking for attention for themselves. There's a myriad of ways people can be messed up, including forms of mental illness. Hating on the "haters" however is a wasteful use of time. Hopefully people can focus on the good that Emily and the Cave family brought about by sharing Colby's passing/funeral publicly. Emily, deserves to be happy and to be able to remember her husband fondly and without being tarnished by other people's uninvited toxicity. I hope she is able to heal now that she's taken herself out of the public sphere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad