Colby Cave | In Memoriam

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Just catching up in this thread now. Social media is the worst but I agree with @Drivesaitl , I don’t think it’s representative of society as a whole. The dregs of society certainly put social media to good use however.

Feel terrible for Emily Cave to have experienced the worst the human race can offer up.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I think we have to be careful in determining that social media equals society. Indeed the last place a person in pain or grieving should be exposed to is social media. This of course being the abode of trolls, teenagers with nothing better to do, social misfits, outcasts, and some people prone to antisocial personality profiles.

Community can exist, and good people exist, and I participate here in a moderated community because we can grow community here, have interaction, etc. In other places the hurtful trollng and abuse is not controlled, contained or even discouraged.

Social media is not society. Its almost the opposite.

The national reaction to something like the Humboldt crash tells us that Society is still intact. The outpourings of support specific to Colby Cave and his widow exist and tell us society is functioning. But don't look for it in asocial places.
Have you been outside lately? This is absolutely who society is.

Reactions: oilers'72

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Have you been outside lately? This is absolutely who society is.

Well, I feel sorry for you if that is ultimately your view on human society.

Our experience in life and view to others can often be established by the so many contacts through our lives that shape our view of no less than humanity. I've had the pleasure to break bread with many great to know people and married one. So I'll never have your view.

For sure I've met people to veer away from, have met segments of society to veer away from. Of course I've done so. This too has made all the difference.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Well, I feel sorry for you if that is ultimately your view on human society.

Our experience in life and view to others can often be established by the so many contacts through our lives that shape our view of no less than humanity. I've had the pleasure to break bread with many great to know people and married one. So I'll never have your view.

For sure I've met people to veer away from, have met segments of society to veer away from. Of course I've done so. This too has made all the difference.
Society is exactly the reason that we've been in this shitty pandemic for over a year.

There are decent people out there, unfortunately they're very frequently overshadowed by assholes, ones we praise and elect. Society doesn't love the good people, it loves the loud, belligerent idiots who think they know everything.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Society is exactly the reason that we've been in this shitty pandemic for over a year.

There are decent people out there, unfortunately they're very frequently overshadowed by assholes, ones we praise and elect. Society doesn't love the good people, it loves the loud, belligerent idiots who think they know everything.

This is all true. However spend as little time with the assholes as possible and as much time with good people as possible.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Most people are good people, I believe, but unfortunately, there are some bad apples out there. Part of our society likes to give them a pass because of their upbringing, or some newly found disease or condition. Regardless, they are everywhere, and sit in the comfort of their room with their computer, sheltered by anonymity, feeling they have been wronged by the world and need to take it out on the most vulnurable. Sad as it is, it might be a lesson for the rest of us to be a little more guarded in our personal life. It seems we now live in a society where where we crave and hope for, the attention, affirmation and even sympathy from the general public. When it's good, it's fantastic, but this is the pitfall and the dark side of that. In short, if anyone puts them self out there, there is a risk.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Just catching up in this thread now. Social media is the worst but I agree with @Drivesaitl , I don’t think it’s representative of society as a whole. The dregs of society certainly put social media to good use however.

Feel terrible for Emily Cave to have experienced the worst the human race can offer up.
The problem is the negative always ends up being so much louder and more hurtful.

It's not just social media. How many good stories make it on the 6pm news? How many good stories make it onto the Edmonton Journal's website? It's all horseshit bad news that makes you depressed after reading it.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
The problem is the negative always ends up being so much louder and more hurtful.

It's not just social media. How many good stories make it on the 6pm news? How many good stories make it onto the Edmonton Journal's website? It's all horseshit bad news that makes you depressed after reading it.

Social media has changed everything. Its about complaining, division, derision, now. People getting inflamed, negative, and this just takes hold.

If anybody wants look at the social media commentary on Edmonton Transit changes now. You'd think the city was doing away with transit alltogether looking at the negativity and criticisms. Go on facebook and something is always being burnt down. I never signed up for twitter, and never would. heh, but I'm complaining about all the complaining.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Colby was a young depth player that this roster misses in so many ways (and his family even more so). I always think he was on a track to be a solid 500+ game journeyman, who gave your team size, crustiness, dogged determination and timely “John Tonelli-like” scoring. 🫶

Saw him score his last ever goal live in Pittsburgh. It was a McDavid like rush. Leon won the game in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad