Confirmed Trade: [COL/WSH] Orpik and Grubauer for 2018 second round pick

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Nice work by the Caps to get Orpik’s bloated contract off the books.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
The trade is fair because they're taking Orpik's contract back. But, I think it's possible that Colorado flips Grubauer to another team.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
the goalie might have gotten more by itself, but caps had to move orpik to sign key guys, great for caps and avs got a good goalie and solid vet D

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
12th overall they said

Post Cup euphoria. And Caps got our from Orpik contract to be able to sign all their FA’s....

And should have some money left over to sign.....Orpik?? After the Avs buy him out?

If you are looking to make Caps fan feel bad.....you are going to have to do A LOT better than this, Islander fan.

Cheers brother,

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I think Avs can retain on Orpik and get a 3-4th round pick. Bottom pairing dman with his experience is valuable.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Nice work by the Caps to get Orpik’s bloated contract off the books.

I'm actually surprised that he's considered a cap-dump at this point.

I mean, the guy was an instrumental part of helping the Caps win the cup and he has only one year left on his contract at a not-unreasonable $5.5M for what he brings.

I understand why the Caps wanted to clear the cap space, but I'm surprised they were unable to move Orpik in a separate deal to do so. To me his contribution is not unlike Methot, who was dealt for a 2nd and a prospect after the expansion draft last year.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Post Cup euphoria. And Caps got our from Orpik contract to be able to sign all their FA’s....

And should have some money left over to sign.....Orpik?? After the Avs buy him out?

If you are looking to make Caps fan feel bad.....you are going to have to do A LOT better than this, Islander fan.

Cheers brother,
Not about making Caps fans feel bad, about laughing off the ridiculous.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I'm actually surprised that he's considered a cap-dump at this point.

I mean, the guy was an instrumental part of helping the Caps win the cup and he has only one year left on his contract at a not-unreasonable $5.5M for what he brings.

I understand why the Caps wanted to clear the cap space, but I'm surprised they were unable to move Orpik in a separate deal to do so. To me his contribution is not unlike Methot, who was dealt for a 2nd and a prospect after the expansion draft last year.
Orpik was instrumental for the Caps?

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Orpik was instrumental for the Caps?

Yes, from what I saw. He played key shutdown and PK minutes effectively in the SCF and absolutely was a contributing member of that cup winning team. He was no passenger, that's for sure.

Again, I can see the reason the Caps want to shed salary, but I'm surprised they couldn't find another team to pick him up given that he only has 1 year remaining on his contract.

Reactions: third man in

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Not about making Caps fans feel bad, about laughing off the ridiculous.

Not sure it does any of that. Finding a team to take 7m in salary isn’t exactly easy. So that limited what the Caps could get back.

I’m sure you can understand that piece, yes?

Caps are in a really good place. They now have lot of Sal Cap monies to play with, and 2 picks in the next 16.

PLUS that little silver chalice to look at, for the next year.

Reactions: third man in

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Not sure it does any of that. Finding a team to take 7m in salary isn’t exactly easy. So that limited what the Caps could get back.

I’m sure you can understand that piece, yes?

Grubauer on his own ain't worth Noah Dobson.

You can understand that, no?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
What I think seems confusing to you is very few said Grubauer alone for the 12. I sure as heck didn’t.

If you want to point at a white elephant and call it the herd, I can’t stop you.
If you didn't why did you respond, why do you care? I said in another thread "Grubauer worth a 12th pick my ass" and was ridiculed for it, Schneider this, Varlamov that.

Packaged with a camp dump for a second rounder. Not worth a 12th overall pick, I rest my case. Was as silly as a White Elephant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad