Confirmed Trade: [COL/WSH] Orpik and Grubauer for 2018 second round pick

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
The Avs have a promising keeper who unfortunately fell to bits a bit in the playoffs, but Caps are very happy at how this trade has worked. Good form by GMBM
Your post alluded Sakic got owned. He got a potential starter for a mid 2nd rounder. Orpik is nothing but money and the Avs have loads of it.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
"Supposedly" Carolina made a better offer but Washington wanted him out of the Metro. Believing that makes me feel better.

* but didn't Hoffman trade show us how to circumvent that?

Yeah for reals how great would it be if they flipped him over here for Lindholm or something.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Avs GM should probably check his pockets, GMBM has had him there. We're basically getting them to buy out Orpik for us and might even resign him on the cheap. And got a 2nd in the deal. I like it

Well yeah. That’s why the pick wasn’t a 1st. We sold a bit of our cap space in the deal.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
It’s not like Grubauer is a lock so you keep both

One if the tweets said they’d split starts. I’d imagine it’s a bit of an audition for Grubauer while trying to give Varly some time off to stay healthy. Varly’s contract is up in 2019 so that’s when a decision will need to be made.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Avs GM should probably check his pockets, GMBM has had him there. We're basically getting them to buy out Orpik for us and might even resign him on the cheap. And got a 2nd in the deal. I like it
Lol Colorado just gave up a 2nd round pick for Grubauer. That’s the deal from their side which is insanely good value.

The Orpik thing is irrelevant for Colorado. Sakic is backed by one of the richest owners in the league and cap space isn’t an issue for this season either. It’s just money which doesn’t in any way affect the team or ya fans.

Reactions: Ararana

philip

dismember
Jun 27, 2014
Lol Colorado just gave up a 2nd round pick for Grubauer. That’s the deal from their side which is insanely good value.

The Orpik thing is irrelevant for Colorado. Sakic is backed by one of the richest owners in the league and cap space isn’t an issue for this season either. It’s just money which doesn’t in any way affect the team or ya fans.
I don't understand why cap space isn't an issue, If you've got money, spend it, get some good free agents in, do some trades, surely? What's the point in not operating at max budget?

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I don't understand why cap space isn't an issue, If you've got money, spend it, get some good free agents in, do some trades, surely? What's the point in not operating at max budget?

Spending for the sake of spending, particularly when it comes to UFA signings, is not a well thought out plan IMO. I think the problems with that approach should be evident by now.

Reactions: Arnusson

kuzy92

Mar 5, 2017
Orpik was instrumental for the Caps?

Yes he was very instrumental to the Caps success.. He was a huge physical presence on the back end and it would have been tough to get the Cup without him neutralizing other teams top players..

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach

Because the team doesn't have many holes to fill while having tons of cheap young players to find time for. Sure if they could sign Tavares, & an elite #1 dman, that would fill their exigent holes, but that's a bit of a long shot.

Plus we have a lot of kids who will need to get paid in the coming years, so all of that absurd cap space would be tough to fully utilize even if we did only use it to sign new players that would help.

Last edited:
Reactions: MacBradley

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad