Confirmed Trade: [COL/WSH] Orpik and Grubauer for 2018 second round pick

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Lowkey nervous Colorado flips Grubauer to the Islanders

Don't be. If anything I'd worry that they flip Varly in season if Grubauer can run with the gig & Frank looks up to the task of challenging him...but realistically even Varly will be held onto until next summer when his contract expires.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I don't understand why cap space isn't an issue, If you've got money, spend it, get some good free agents in, do some trades, surely? What's the point in not operating at max budget?

Spend on what? Tavares, Carlson? Sure, but it sure seems like both are staying with their teams. We try to go max cap on the rest of the UFA class, we end up with a bunch of Lucic’s, are no better than we are now, and have trouble signing our RFA’s in the coming years. Makes no sense.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
I like this trade for the Caps. Seems pretty certain that a buyout of Orpik was agreed upon. I can see the Caps signing him at the difference of the buyout amount loss.

Colorado gets a goalie and a small buyout caphit for a second.

Orpik goes back to Washington earning the same amount of money

Caps get to sign Carlson and get Orpik at a reasonable caphit.

Red Dread

Oct 19, 2011
Maryland
Why would the Avs flip Grubauer when they need a goalie? it’s been reported that the Avs and Grubauer are in talks about a 3 year contract...

Didn't know their situation + thought Varlamov was solid starter. Reading this thread, I understand now.

Reactions: cgf

Apr 6, 2004
Can we pin this on the trade board as a perfect example of how to construct a proper deal?

Grubi was a late 1st value, - Orpik Contract = a 2nd / Cap Dump.

Truly a win, win. Equal value for equal value while addressing a genuine need for both teams.

paragon

May 5, 2010
Pretty good trade for both teams. I think Grubauer is great. I know people hate Orpik's contract, but he's still a decent bottom pair defenseman and a good locker room precense for a team that lacks veterans. He was +17 in 24 games in the playoffs. You can't be much of a liability if you are +17 in the playoffs.

And while 2nd is not that much for Grubauer Washington was able to clear a bunch of cap space and they have Samsonov in the pipeline so all is well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Can we pin this on the trade board as a perfect example of how to construct a proper deal?

Grubi was a late 1st value, - Orpik Contract = a 2nd / Cap Dump.

Truly a win, win. Equal value for equal value while addressing a genuine need for both teams.

:laugh: so true. It's a trade that made too much sense for both sides. Though of course on HF you've got a lot of people who simply dont understand player value and so you dont see trade proposals like this basically ever.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This is a solid trade all the way around. Colorado now has their future #1 and doesn't have to worry about extending Varlamov. Washington gets rid of a big contract and gets a mid 2nd. Well done by both GMs.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I think Sakic is buying out Orpik for several reasons. First and potentially most important, I think Sakic understands what the identity of the team is; fast, young and eager. One of the worst things that can happen for a team is not following a consistent identity as far as building a team goes. Second I believe Joe wants to give as much opportunity to kids as possible. Finally I think Orpik and his family want to stay out east and bringing a veteran player into a situation where he has only a year left in a place he doesn’t want to live could be hard on the guy.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Except Varly is still on the team, and the Avs signed the best KHL goalie statistically for peanuts as a plan C.
I was responding to the fact Colorado is expected to sign Phillip longterm. Not talking about next season.
If he struggles after signing a big deal Avs could be stuck with two high contracts for goalies.
Why not take a wait and see approach?
And if Varlomov is the number 1 goalie why did Phil want to go there in the first place?
Holtby is also the guy.
I'm trying to analyze the entire situation.
I'm trying to convey:
What is the best case scenario for Colorado?

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
I was responding to the fact Colorado is expected to sign Phillip longterm. Not talking about next season.
If he struggles after signing a big deal Avs could be stuck with two high contracts for goalies.
Why not take a wait and see approach?
And if Varlomov is the number 1 goalie why did Phil want to go there in the first place?
Holtby is also the guy.
I'm trying to analyze the entire situation.
I'm trying to convey:
What is the best case scenario for Colorado?

Varlamov is a UFA next year, so they won't have two high contracts.
Grubauer is probably going to sign for about 3 million/year, that's not a high contract.

2018/2019 = Varlamov and Grubauer split time, with Francouz being called up when Varlamov eventually gets hurt (had season-ending surgery this past season).

2019/2020 = You got with Grubauer and Francouz and ride the hot hand.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Varlamov is a UFA next year, so they won't have two high contracts.
Grubauer is probably going to sign for about 3 million/year, that's not a high contract.

2018/2019 = Varlamov and Grubauer split time, with Francouz being called up when Varlamov eventually gets hurt (had season-ending surgery this past season).

2019/2020 = You got with Grubauer and Francouz and ride the hot hand.
Sorry. I didn't realize Varly was a free agent. That changes alot.

Hmmm

Feb 26, 2017
So do we think Varly could be traded to say Carolina for skinner?

Avs44

May 16, 2011

Don't think so. Sakic came out and flat out said he isn't moving Varly, and Grubauer and Varly will split starts next season. Which makes the most sense I suppose - Varly is guaranteed to get injured and Grubauer is unproven, so may as well keep both for next season to act as insurance.

Reactions: AvsGuy

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com

Avs would have to add alot to make that happen.

But I also wouldn't do it. Grubauer has never played a full season as a #1, so it would be beneficial for Varlamov to stick around this upcoming season. Plus, Francouz should play at least 1 year in the AHL to get accustomed to North American hockey , I don't trust him as a NHL back-up just yet.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I like this trade for the Caps. Seems pretty certain that a buyout of Orpik was agreed upon. I can see the Caps signing him at the difference of the buyout amount loss.

Colorado gets a goalie and a small buyout caphit for a second.

Orpik goes back to Washington earning the same amount of money

Caps get to sign Carlson and get Orpik at a reasonable caphit.

Pretty sure he cannot re-sign with Washington for one year now.

I believe the NHL created this rule years ago on the rumor that Tampa was going to do something like trade Lecavalier + Stamkos or something so that the Leafs would buy out Lecavalier and he could re-sign in TB for vet minimum. It was the Leafs essentially buying Stamkos for 90 million or whatever the buyout would have been, but the league closed that loophole before it could ever happen once.

KenAF

Mar 27, 2008
Washington, DC
Yes, Orpik can resign in Washington. NHL rules forbid teams from re-signing players after they buy them out; however, the Caps are not buying out Orpik; Colorado is.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Looks like I'm still waiting to hear the team that's gonna give up a 1st round pick for Grabauer:laugh:

giphy.webp
He was packaged with a guy who has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit and was immediately bought out... and he still garnered a second round pick.

I don't think you understand the business of hockey if you don't think he would have secured a first round pick by himself.

NeverBeNormal

Mar 27, 2007
I wonder if Varly has a good start and stays healthy (longshot), what the Avs might be able to flip him for at the Deadline this year?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He was packaged with a guy who has a 5.5 million dollar cap hit and was immediately bought out... and he still garnered a second round pick.

I don't think you understand the business of hockey if you don't think he would have secured a first round pick by himself.

Orpik had negative value but he didn't have anywhere close to that kind of negative value.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Orpik had negative value but he didn't have anywhere close to that kind of negative value.
Adding a 5.5 million dollar buy out guy them a pick only 15 picks outside of the first round.

He would have gotten a first without Orpik, maybe a late first, but a first none the less.

“He’s the best option that’s out there,” MacLellan said. “When you look at the past goalies who have gone, it’s probably a late first or an early second.”
Capitals will explore trade for goaltender Philipp Grubauer

Reactions: third man in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad