Confirmed Trade: [COL/WSH] Andre Burakovsky for Scott Kosmachuk, 2020 2nd, and 2020 ARI 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
What the hell Washington? Weird trade. Guy is thriving, must be more to it.
I'm a Caps fan. Burakovsky was one of my favorite players on the Caps. I speculated Burakovsky would win the Art Ross this season.

So, Burakovsky is a great talent but the Capitals were not using him properly. They were not respecting his talent level or giving him the tools he needed to be a superstar.

All Burakovsky needed to play well was a better situation.

The Caps had Burakovsky and Vrana as their young guns. But Bura wasn't being developed properly. Vrana is doing well with more attention.

Bura was doing things like this when he was given a chance

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
What the hell Washington? Weird trade. Guy is thriving, must be more to it.

No it wasant. Caps fans are happy he is finally breaking out but the caps waited for 5 seasons for him to break out and he never did.

Also why pay burakovsky over 3 million when nic dowd scored litterally the same number of points for the caps last year in only 64 games and he makes 2.5 million less

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
I'm a Caps fan. Burakovsky was one of my favorite players on the Caps. I speculated Burakovsky would win the Art Ross this season.

So, Burakovsky is a great talent but the Capitals were not using him properly. They were not respecting his talent level or giving him the tools he needed to be a superstar.

The Caps had Burakovsky and Vrana as their young guns. But Bura wasn't being developed properly. Vrana is doing well with more attention.

what in the world?

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
No it wasant. Caps fans are happy he is finally breaking out but the caps waited for 5 seasons for him to break out and he never did.

Also why pay burakovsky over 3 million when nic dowd scored litterally the same number of points for the caps last year in only 64 games and he makes 2.5 million less

Fair enough, but do they not intend on making another run? Why trade him now? I'd rather hold on to him and let him walk after the playoffs. That's the whole goal here, to win.

Reactions: StephenPeat

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I would love to make some futures bets with you - hit me up...

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Fair enough, but do they not intend on making another run? Why trade him now? I'd rather hold on to him and let him walk after the playoffs. That's the whole goal here, to win.

Because:
Year 1 9 goals 13 assists
Year 2 17 goals 21 assists
Year 3 12 goals 23 assists
Year 4 12 goals 13 assists
Year 5 12 goals 13 assists
Those stats are easily replaceable at half the cost of what he makes.
For example, Garnett Hathaway and Brenden Leipsec are pretty much on base this season for what burakovsky did

He wasant gonna play in the caps top 6
Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Wilson
Vrana-Backstrom-Oshie

He was not going to get power play time on arguably one of the best pp units in the league

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
I wouldn't be so positive he gets bumped down except on the pp, I think if he finds chemistry with mack we should give Kadri rantanen. Would be good to get that second line going
That would be amazing if possible. I think we shuck the "one line team" crap, but real depth would be awesome.

Reactions: Avaholic29

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
The caps don't have any cap space for him anyways. It was good opportunity for the Avs to identify a talent and snag him, even though I thought we could get him for even less.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I don't think it's outlandish though. I think if he played with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and ended up carrying the line, it's possible.
This line would get scored more than they would. Mack is below average defensively and Bura isn't any better from what I've seen so far. Taking away one of the best defensive player on that line would be a terrible mistake IMO.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I don't think it's outlandish though. I think if he played with MacKinnon and Rantanen, and ended up carrying the line, it's possible.
It is the definition of outlandish. Worse than outlandish to say a guy, who has never broke 40 points, and was coming off a 25 point season, would compete for an Art Ross this year. It’s otherworldly outlandish.

It would be outlandish to say he would lead his team in scoring, let alone the league.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Always thought Burkovsky had potential to be a good complimentary top6 player scorer.

He can carry the puck into the zone and rip shots. Doesnt have great vision or all around game but can skate and fire it. Looks to have found a fit in Denver.

Reactions: StephenPeat

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
What i've really noticed is some leadership quality in him, says all the right things in post-game interviews and doesn't sugarcoat things.

Sounds like a guy who was part of a winning culture and learned from some of the best, while also realizing it's time to try and become that guy himself at this stage of his career.

I think the timing for this trade was great for Colorado. Caps did a good job developing him, even if it never translated on the ice the way they hoped.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Bura has all the talent and was excited on joining the AVs. Expected 40 points and easily should reach this number and beat his personal highs. If he stays on the top line, Rants could drop to the 2nd line to spread the offence.

Donkskoi - Mack - Bura
Landry - Kadri - Rants

Solid top lines. Hope this ends discussions on trading for Hall.

Reactions: DallasGaume

illpucks

May 26, 2011
It is the definition of outlandish. Worse than outlandish to say a guy, who has never broke 40 points, and was coming off a 25 point season, would compete for an Art Ross this year. It’s otherworldly outlandish.

It would be outlandish to say he would lead his team in scoring, let alone the league.
See William Karlsson. 25 pts to 78 in 1 season. Not outlandish.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Nobody’s won anything yet champ. If you’ve been watching assuredly you’re aware of where the Caps are in the overall League standings. It seems to me the Caps might be able to make a run without Burakovsky and if he were still here he’d still be right where he was when he was here, the 3rd line. At some point a player like Burakovsky is a luxury and he became one the Caps couldn’t justify affording. Perhaps he’s not a luxury to the AVs but ultimately that might be a comment about the makeup of these two teams. If the AVs can win in the POs with Burakovsky playing Top 6, no Caps fan will be upset but that time had passed in Wsh and we had to cut the cord and recoup the assets.

Reactions: Deen

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This is incredible sensationalism that I’d be quick to suggest is actually delusion. Burakovsky is not the droid you are looking for. Jeebus.

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
This line would get scored more than they would. Mack is below average defensively and Bura isn't any better from what I've seen so far. Taking away one of the best defensive player on that line would be a terrible mistake IMO.
Burakovsky is basically PUSH or Negative defensively, particularly in shot count metrics (unless my recall is poor, which is possible). I suspect this is one of the reasons the Caps were comfortable letting him move on. His decent offense didn’t drive play enough from the 3rd line to provide the defense you expect and need from that line. Playing up in the lineup may allow Burakovsky to contribute to keeping the puck away from the other team but, as a guy expected to carry that load, he was flailing in Wsh. So the Caps wanted more from him and gave him tough situations to try and extract that skill from him to see if he could adapt. He couldn’t and here we are.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
This is incredible sensationalism that I’d be quick to suggest is actually delusion. Burakovsky is not the droid you are looking for. Jeebus.
Except it's not.

Look at this goal and tell me how many 4th or 3rd liners with 35 points can do this? This is reserved for the top 10-20 players in the NHL. Burakovsky's issue is that he wasn't developed to do things like this more consistently.

Do I think he'll win the Ross now? No. Do I think he'd win the Ross if that top end skill is developed properly? 100%.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Except it's not.

Look at this goal and tell me how many 4th or 3rd liners with 35 points can do this? This is reserved for the top 10-20 players in the NHL. Burakovsky's issue is that he wasn't developed to do things like this more consistently.

Do I think he'll win the Ross now? No. Do I think he'd win the Ross if that top end skill is developed properly? 100%.

Donskoi literally scored a goal similar to this going end to end and I'm pretty sure that he isn't even a top 50 players. I do agree that Burakovsky has all the skills to be a top player he just doesn't have the hockey IQ top players have.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Burakovsky is basically PUSH or Negative defensively, particularly in shot count metrics (unless my recall is poor, which is possible). I suspect this is one of the reasons the Caps were comfortable letting him move on. His decent offense didn’t drive play enough from the 3rd line to provide the defense you expect and need from that line. Playing up in the lineup may allow Burakovsky to contribute to keeping the puck away from the other team but, as a guy expected to carry that load, he was flailing in Wsh. So the Caps wanted more from him and gave him tough situations to try and extract that skill from him to see if he could adapt. He couldn’t and here we are.

Sometimes you just have to too many players who do the same things and if one player is even just slightly worse than another player at that aspect, he's the one who gets not only demoted but traded off the team.

I'm pretty happy Sakic got three underutilized players (Kadri, Burakovsky, Donskoi) that has been a big help through this injury stretch.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Sometimes you just have to too many players who do the same things and if one player is even just slightly worse than another player at that aspect, he's the one who gets not only demoted but traded off the team.

I'm pretty happy Sakic got three underutilized players (Kadri, Burakovsky, Donskoi) that has been a big help through this injury stretch.

Kadri was not underutilized in Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad