Confirmed with Link: COL trades Barrie(50% retained)/Kerfoot/2020 6th to TOR for Kadri/Rosen/2020 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I said it before...this team needs a Byram/Timmins-type player much more than they need Barrie back. Does the team need another PMD? Yes absolutely but it needs to be a guy that is also fairly strong in his own zone as well in order to take some of those important minutes guys like EJ, Cole and Graves have right now. We have replaced Barrie's points with Makar's. Now we need to replace Girard on the top line so we can play in a more suitable role as a #3-4 dman. I would argue that our problem at D this season stems a lot more from Girard struggling in a top role than losing Barrie. Bring him back down one notch and replace him with a true two-way dman capable of around 40 pts and strong defensive play and this team is even much better. Now the question is: Does Sakic gambles (an educated gamble mind you) on one of these two panning out in that role and waiting for him to do so or does he go and acquire onather dman that would fill that role in the meantime? The latter wouldn't be cheap of course.

Either or works for me, be it Byram bumping Girard down or us pulling someone who let us recreate the top 4 that we had in the playoffs, out of our ass. Which is why I only ever joke about bringing Tyson back now that we have Byram.

Would be nice to have a stop gap until Byram's ready though; be that trading for someone on the more stay-at-home side like Savard or having signed another puck-mover like Gardiner.

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014
Re: the cap;
Realistically, it would've required Joe to be more cold-blooded with the last year (or two) of EJ's contract than I suspect he is capable of...and it would've become even more important that we stop overpaying depth guys like Cole, Calvert & Compher as much, to minimize how much Retooling we'd need to do by the time MacK & Mikko's next contracts kicked in...but the math is doable if you play around on capfriendly/excel, even without the cap rising dramatically.

So if you really want I'm sure I can figure out my capfriendly password to find the examples I provided of how the next 4-5 seasons...beyond which there's just way too much uncertainty...could've worked out if we had been able to fill our 2C hole without losing Barrie; and PM those to you too. But I'm pretty sure that the trade-Barrie folks don't love seeing yet another wall of text from me about this...not to mention that I'm just not in the mood to pound out another diatribe atm :laugh:
No need to put yourself through the ringer, you answered my question as well as you could with the information you have on hand. I don't know the answer to the cap and won't pretend I do, I just believe that if we keep Barrie we lose someone of value somewhere (top 6 maybe). That is my main point/concern when we have a readily available replacement that is several orders of magnitude better to boot. We might not agree on this last point. Thanks for the reply.

kl35ha

Oct 19, 2017
I’ll just leave it to Sakic to do his things. The man can do no wrong atm. Winning culture is coming back to this organization with the players he’s bringing in with trades and signings.

This team is winning games with all the injuries it has this year is amazing. Keep it going Sakic!

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
No need to put yourself through the ringer, you answered my question as well as you could with the information you have on hand. I don't know the answer to the cap and won't pretend I do, I just believe that if we keep Barrie we lose someone of value somewhere (top 6 maybe). That is my main point/concern when we have a readily available replacement that is several orders of magnitude better to boot. We might not agree on this last point. Thanks for the reply.

Cheers. On top of the cap situation being one that I was confident that a capable FO should be able to manage...which even a "Sakic hater" like me, has never denied that this regime is...our disagreement is probably also a result of my not seeing Cale as a replacement for the Barrie. Instead, seeing this as a "why not both?" situation. So whether Cale was already better than Tyson in every conceivable way or not, didn't really matter...what mattered in my calculus was having Cale & Barrie vs having Cale & EJ/Cole on the right side of our top 4.

We got a glimpse of what I had been envisioning last spring; when we saw our blueline being so lethal in transition & good at puck-retrieval with both Tyson & the Makar-Girard pairing tilting the ice for us, that we not only dictated the pace, but actually changed the way Calgary & SJ tried to attack us...and I f***ing loved seeing them hesitating before dump-ins, or passing on low percentage shots that they were firing off without even thinking about, in game 1, for fear of giving away possession cheaply.

Our roster is much more balanced than it was last spring and I'm glad that the 2C hole has finally been addressed, so I'm still happy with the trade...as I was the minute it was announced...but we had a very unique advantage over the competition last spring and I would've loved to see us build on that advantage if we could've filled our 2c hole without having to use Barrie. But it is what it is; he's not coming back & we've moved on. So at this point, I just hope that Barrie can be freed from Babcock sooner, rather than later.

EDIT:
Damn it...I just can't help myself...

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
With Timmins, Byram and Rosen coming along, I'd rather keep Z and lose EJ and Cole. Not sure how the salary structure for this would work?

EJ isn’t going anywhere because of his contract. Unless the Avs try to work something out with Seattle.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

upload_2019-11-20_14-22-13.gif

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Had a feeling it wouldn't take long. If Brian Burke was saying start the clock on Babcock, he was in trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad