Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Interesting, I always had a feeling the Avs liked Matthias and wanted to bring him in, going back to his Florida days. He's gone a bit down hill since then though it seems.

No problems with the assets given up. Colin Smith was never making this team full time, and the 4th is fine for some extra depth, even if he does walk as a UFA. They've been relatively lucky all year injury wise, but you can't gamble on that lasting forever.

This move, combined with Dater's rumor, also sounds an awful lot like Mitchell was asked for by another team to complete a deal they want to make, and the Avs need to replace his role on the team. If that's what's going on here, Matthias is a good replacement.

Didn't Matthias used to be known as a pretty good PK'er?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm happy with it to be honest, sounds like a winger version of Mitchell who can also play center. Mitchell is not nearly as good at 3rd line LW as he is at 4th line center. So I'll take someone who can actually do that a little better.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'd guess if Mitchell is moving, they may not risk him playing against Vancouver though. So if he plays tonight, I'd say him being traded is actually less likely as a part of this move.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
I'll have to wait and see where Roy slots him in the lineup before making a judgement on this trade.

if he comes in for Martinsen, that goes to SA where he belongs - nice
if he comes in for Mitchell, that is traded - meh, they have roughly the same numbers this year. and Malkin has better career numbers til now
if he comes just as a rental and is gone in a few months - depends on our playoff success

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
I wonder if McLeod is injured (I know he returned last night), and this forced their hand a bit.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I'll have to wait and see where Roy slots him in the lineup before making a judgement on this trade.

if he comes in for Martinsen, that goes to SA where he belongs - nice
if he comes in for Mitchell, that is traded - meh, they have roughly the same numbers this year. and Malkin has better career numbers til now
if he comes just as a rental and is gone in a few months - depends on our playoff success

Agreed. If Matthias is coming in to replace Martinsen, awesome! I recall Matthias being a decent PKer as well. If he is here to replace Malkin, little less happy.

Shaggy88

Bananular phone
Nov 13, 2013
I'm happy with it. Don't trade Mitchell please unless it's a clear upgrade. The bottom 6 of this team needs all the help it can get. Hopefully this is bye bye to Marty.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Really like the deal.

The 4th is a shot in the dark with a low chance of being a player. Didn't feel Smith ever got a real shot here but based on his size and skillset, there's a very low chance of him being any form of impact NHLer.

Matthias has been only ok but he fits the team needs to a tee. If he fits in well and plays well he can be re-signed for cheap.

Now to add a top 4 LHD!

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Leaf fan here. You guys will like Matthias. Really hard working, good pk'er, great at running the cycle, not a terrific shot but good skater.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I hope for the best for Colin Smith. Would love to see him get a shot.

So, the rental pickups begin. We will probably do another one for a bottom pairing defenseman. I like the pickup, though. Solid big body to add to the bottom 6.

People thinking Mitchell is getting traded really need a reality check. Roy is playing him over 20 minutes a game right now and he is one of his most trusted forwards, it's been like that ever since Patrick came aboard. He's not getting moved.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Let's see who they bump off the NHL roster or what else they do. I'm not happy feeding into the Leafs turn one year deals into picks strategy and adding the pick seems needless. If they weren't going to re-sign Smith then I get moving him but outside Rantanen he is the most skilled forward the Rampage had, it's not like they can just turn over a rock and get more skilled forwards. It could have been worse, at least they haven't traded Bleackley yet. I was looking forward to a full draft too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad