Confirmed with Link: [COL/TOR] Colin Smith & 2016 4th Rd Pick For Shawn Matthias

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Don't really like that we gave up a 4th for a struggling player but maybe he can turn it around.

If we don't trade any higher picks or better prospects (unless it is a steal of a deal of course) and don't sign him to a stupid extension, I can live with it.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a Colin Smith fan, but Shawn Matthias has hype. Mostly because he came from Toronto. Unfortunately he's a UFA. Meh.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Why on earth are people saying they expect Mitchell to get moved?

If anything, this deal moves Martinsen out of the lineup. Not Mitchell off of the team. Matthias isn't Mitchell's replacement. I like this deal a lot. Big forward who has very good speed and is an actual NHL player, not a Martinsen.

1) Dater mentioned that his name is coming up in trade talks (not sure if Avs are shopping or teams are asking), but it's out there.

2) Something's going to give with the roster as it is. If Mitchell stays, then he or Matthias are the 3rd line C (with the other as the 4th line C) and then you have Martinsen and Wagner hanging around, with only an argument (flimsy as it might be) that one is needed. So either Marty or Wagner are gone.

3) If Mitchell is traded, Matthias is good to have as a replacement and then they roll with Wagner on the 4th Line as the C there.

Really, what this does is open up possibilities. Mitchell possibly being traded has as much to do with the return MAYBE being better than his value on the team. If a team that's chasing a Cup wants to give up more than he should be worth, then the Avs should absolutely listen...especially now that they got another Depth Forward to (potentially) replace him.

These are the types of moves we're going to see (if there are anymore between now and the TDL).

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
If this means Mitchell gets traded, I don't like it. Mitchell does a lot for this team that doesn't show up on the scoresheet.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
UFA next year. The Avs just traded for a rental. lol, I was not expecting that. Wonder if they plan on trying to sign him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
1) Dater mentioned that his name is coming up in trade talks (not sure if Avs are shopping or teams are asking), but it's out there.

2) Something's going to give with the roster as it is. If Mitchell stays, then he or Matthias are the 3rd line C (with the other as the 4th line C) and then you have Martinsen and Wagner hanging around, with only an argument (flimsy as it might be) that one is needed. So either Marty or Wagner are gone.

3) If Mitchell is traded, Matthias is good to have as a replacement and then they roll with Wagner on the 4th Line as the C there.

Really, what this does is open up possibilities. Mitchell possibly being traded has as much to do with the return MAYBE being better than his value on the team. If a team that's chasing a Cup wants to give up more than he should be worth, then the Avs should absolutely listen...especially now that they got another Depth Forward to (potentially) replace him.

These are the types of moves we're going to see (if there are anymore between now and the TDL).

Maybe, but I don't really look at it that way. I think we'll be seeing Matthias on the wing with Soderberg and Comeau and Mitchell will keep his 4C spot, thus bumping Martinsen out of the lineup. I don't think the plan is to use Matthias at centre at all since he doesn't really play it all that much, better suited on the wing.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
People seem to forget that trades can be win-win. Of course Toronto fans are happy, they're hoping to haul in as many picks as the possibly can before the deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad