GDT: Col @ Sea | 4/20/22 8pm MT | Return of the Nazty Boy

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Don't mind the losses + playing without key players for a while now. It's much needed adversity going into the playoffs. It would have been real easy cruising into the 1st round playing lazy hockey.
This...

I mentioned it myself, I wouldn't wanna go into playoffs on a 15 game winning streak and have that streak broken in the 1st round of the playoffs because let downs always happen after long win streaks. I'm starting not to care much about the president's trophy, Florida can have it.

If Avs are healthy and win a game or two at the end of the season going into playoffs playing the right way, I'll be happy. I mean even if they lose the remaining 5 games, as long as they're healthy, they will turn it up in the playoffs. Happens all the time where teams lose at the end of regular season and flip the switch in the playoffs. I just hope if they lose the president's trophy it won't come back to bite them in the ass if they do play Florida in the finals and lose in game 7 on their ice.

Reactions: LakewoodAvsFan

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
When was the last time they lost two in a row in regulation? The mini-slump in early March or back in October/November?

I think we're seeing that Avs can win without MacK or Landeskog or Kadri or whoever, but take out Toews and it all falls apart.
When you have arguably only 2 defenders playing at a top 4 level losing one hurts. Byram and G are still getting up to speed.

The forwards have some decent depth.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Honestly giving a shit effort to a bottom feeder IMO is worse than laying an egg against a top tier team. Bad games will happen against good teams at least they have them skill to make you pay. Seattle is not good and shouldn't be able suppress our offense like they did.

This just shows me that they can't be bothered to show up every night. And this isn't a new thing either they've kinda done this shit against bottom tier teams all season.

Taking nights off in the playoffs doesn't work. Hell taking periods off in the playoffs doesn't work. Which we have a really bad tendancy with. Full 60 mins efforts doesn't seem to be this teams thing.

We'll have a full team for the playoffs but will they consistently give the right efforts, I don't know, guess we'll find out.
You've been eschewing this "can't show up every night" narrative all season long despite this team being in a tie for 1st overall in the league.

I shudder to think of the hot takes you'd attempt if this team was even slightly lower down the standings.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
It is pretty interesting how different our two best players approach the game mentally. MacK lets the frustration get to him, while Cale seems to thrive on it. Just a total machine out there
Let's just forget the game in Edm where Mackinnon outdueled Mcdavid in the clutch in the big spotlight when they couldn't get anything working on offense, it's games against the expansion team that counts! So tired of all this Mackinnon downplaying from people when he's easily the team's best player. It's like they never got over him becoming a far better player than Jones or something.

The Merchant

Sponsor
Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
Let's just forget the game in Edm where Mackinnon outdueled Mcdavid in the clutch in the big spotlight when they couldn't get anything working on offense, it's games against the expansion team that counts! So tired of all this Mackinnon downplaying from people when he's easily the team's best player. It's like they never got over him becoming a far better player than Jones or something.
Sorry to break it to you, but MacK is no longer "easily" the team's best player considering they have a legitimate generational talent on the back end now. And the concern does not stem from whether or not he's a "clutch" player, it's from how easily he lets frustration influence his play. MacK is a very emotional player, for better or worse. Just go back and watch his body language from the Vegas series if you need a perfect example.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
Sure but it's not like Makar stepped up in Mack's stead against Vegas when Mack doesn't go this team has problems. Mackinnon could control his emotions better but tbh I prefer his intensity over Makar's attitude I feel like Makar is too laid back and not imposing himself on the game enough like Mackinnon is in too many games.

Reactions: Alienblood

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
To be clear I want my guy to be angry when the team isn't playing well and get in people's face about it even if it's controversial but maybe Bednar is more of your type of guy.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Sure but it's not like Makar stepped up in Mack's stead against Vegas when Mack doesn't go this team has problems. Mackinnon could control his emotions better but tbh I prefer his intensity over Makar's attitude I feel like Makar is too laid back and not imposing himself on the game enough like Mackinnon is in too many games.

I wonder if you said the same thing about Sakic too.

PowerMac

Dec 20, 2019
I wonder if you said the same thing about Sakic too.
Sakic's big game performances speak for itself, also just because he was quiet doesn't mean he didn't have intensity it was just a quiet intensity whereas Makar is not very engaged a lof of the time and super casual with the puck leading to some big TOs.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Agreed they are missing guys and some guys guys are playing way out if position. Still doesn't excuse that shit show last night. You can still play hard, which they simply didn't do.

There is a difference between how they lost to Washington and how they lost to Seattle.

Washington was a good game with solid effort just didn't go our way. Seattle on the other hand was a gift we just handed them.

No argument here. They sucked. And they know it, too. It's fine, even the best teams will just lay a big turd when it's garbage time down the stretch. Happens every year. If there was a time to just drop one, it was last night.

Reactions: UnkleKraker

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I noticed this quite a bit tonight. When Manson knows he's struggling, he shows it. There were some times where he made the wrong read, pinched at the wrong time or fumbled the puck and he looked like he wanted to break his stick on the glass.
There was a play in the second period where he had a horrible turnover. During the TV timeout he took the saddest depression skate back to the bench. Definitely think it's starting to wear on him.

Reactions: dahrougem2

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Makar is the only guy that showed up last night. Makar can save his intensity for when the games matter.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Makar is the only guy that showed up last night. Makar can save his intensity for when the games matter.

Except for that one play that resulted in a goal, I don't think Makar was especially brilliant either. He wasn't stellar in the Washington game either.

That's fine, get these sorts of performances out of the way now.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
He wasnt brilliant but he was the best player last night which gives you an idea how the rest of them were.

Oh definitely.

It's so weird, Compher is truly an anti-analytics oddity. I believe his play-driving numbers against the Canes were bad, but I'd argue that's the best game he played all season. Conversely he was so bad last night that Bednar demoted him off the 2nd line, and he posts a 60% CF.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Don't mind the losses + playing without key players for a while now. It's much needed adversity going into the playoffs. It would have been real easy cruising into the 1st round playing lazy hockey.
THIS 100%. Sitting at The Sack watching the game against Washington, my buddy and I discussed how the season should end. I mentioned the team needs to lose a game or two to see that adversity and not allow them to get over confident and lazy. He agreed and we started to discuss what teams we'd be ok with them losing to. Washington, Seattle, and Winnipeg were the three we decided on. I'm ok with the losses if they can come out and best the snot out of Nashville, St. Louis, and Minnesota to close out the season.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sakic's big game performances speak for itself, also just because he was quiet doesn't mean he didn't have intensity it was just a quiet intensity whereas Makar is not very engaged a lof of the time and super casual with the puck leading to some big TOs.

Cale's big game performances speak for themselves too. 13 GWG's in his first 174 regular season games and 3 GWG's in his first 35 playoff games as a defenseman.

The only defenseman with more regular season GWG's in Avalanche history is Barrie with 18 in 484 games. Think that goes for the franchise too, as the highest any D man in Quebec had was 8.

Personally I see lots of intensity and engagement in Makar when he's playing. Just as much if not more than any other D man on the team. He's ultra competitive. That's why he was trying to spark the comeback in this meaningless game.

Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Avs have perked up anytime they’ve gone toe-to-toe with a heavy weight this year.

I’m super excited to see that mentality with a fully healthy roster. I think they’re a prideful group that wants their respect this season.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

Spirits

Avalanche and Vikings
Jul 12, 2014

Imagine making Sakic attack you...

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The Avs have perked up anytime they’ve gone toe-to-toe with a heavy weight this year.

I’m super excited to see that mentality with a fully healthy roster. I think they’re a prideful group that wants their respect this season.
Yup they showed up most of the time against the top teams in the league. I dont count those Jonas Johansson games Against Florida and Toronto because guy was beyond brutal. Only time Avs didnt show out was in Boston that one time.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Honestly giving a shit effort to a bottom feeder IMO is worse than laying an egg against a top tier team. Bad games will happen against good teams at least they have them skill to make you pay. Seattle is not good and shouldn't be able suppress our offense like they did.

This just shows me that they can't be bothered to show up every night. And this isn't a new thing either they've kinda done this shit against bottom tier teams all season.

Taking nights off in the playoffs doesn't work. Hell taking periods off in the playoffs doesn't work. Which we have a really bad tendancy with. Full 60 mins efforts doesn't seem to be this teams thing.

We'll have a full team for the playoffs but will they consistently give the right efforts, I don't know, guess we'll find out.
Once AGAIN It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for a team to show up for 82 games. It is against human nature. Even in the playoffs, which is a smaller sample size, teams take one or two "nightS off". Yep even the teams that win the SC.

You really need to cut it out with this crazy narrative. At this point it looks like you are just sitting by your computer waiting for them to lose or win a game they should have lost so that you can post the same crap. You should just cut and paste it by now. You hardly post anything else.

avgard

Jan 8, 2017
any word rantanen playing tomorrow at game appreciation damn thing this getting very obvious depressing at washington they not putting up anything playing nonchalanche game not helping rantanen anything then sickness coming in ( thnak you coach for not setting up 1st line for success ) and here we standing way low in points for rantanen at this point of season and still waiting for expected easy 100 point passings in seasons for him and nothing yet not even 1 one single season of it to show up at Oscars or similiar. damn this thing frustrating. every other team they set up for ..they like serve up tables for there best players and here rantanen getting not what deserving. he like best player in league and nothing working here. 5 games left and 9 points needet. if this thing coming short i say they fly outa playoff in say 5 games. and stupity took over one more season. only happy best player deliver remember this truth. in colorado as of is not possibles

PUTTING UP MONSTERLINE AND SERVING IT WITH MORE MINITES AND EVERYTHING ALL INCLUDED FOR SUPERSTARDOM THAT IS DESERVED HERE FOR SOME. Thank you

sir avgard hockeypprofessor

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad