GDT: Col @ Sea | 4/20/22 8pm MT | Return of the Nazty Boy

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
At the end of the day you're right it doesn't mean much. But at very minimum it's highly concerning watching a Cup contender give such a poor uninspired effort against a bottom 3 team this close to the playoffs when your play should be trending upwards.

I kind of get the feeling that people in this forum don't understand that it's not just that easy to flip the switch on when the games matter again. They need to bear down these last few games and get into good habits going forward into the playoffs.

^^^. Agree. They can't get so far off.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
At the end of the day you're right it doesn't mean much. But at very minimum it's highly concerning watching a Cup contender give such a poor uninspired effort against a bottom 3 team this close to the playoffs when your play should be trending upwards.

I kind of get the feeling that people in this forum don't understand that it's not just that easy to flip the switch on when the games matter again. They need to bear down these last few games and get into good habits going forward into the playoffs.

It's one bad game, There is nothing to take away from this.

The Avs are 8-2 in their last 10, only 4 other teams have been better in that span and the Avs have been missing a bunch of key guys.

I'd be much more concerned if the poor, uninspired effort was against a cup contender. But playing a bottom feeder with a few games left in the season? Not hard to see why they didn't play great. It's unrealistic to expect a team to show up every game of the season. I didn't see many bad habits, moreso just poor play/execution and an average at best effort.

Reactions: Reparlana

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta

The Avs are 8-2 in their last 10, only 4 other teams have been better in that span and the Avs have been missing a bunch of key guys.

I'd be much more concerned if the poor, uninspired effort was against a cup contender. But playing a bottom feeder with a few games left in the season? Not hard to see why they didn't play great. It's unrealistic to expect a team to show up every game of the season. I didn't see many bad habits, moreso just poor play/execution and an average at best effort.
Yeah not only that but watching the Kraken feed they were mentioning how this was Seattle's first ever 3 game winning streak.

You could tell the Kraken really wanted this one tonight in front of their home crowd against the "best team in the league" that wasn't icing their regular roster.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
^^^. Agree. They can't get so far off.
A two-game losing streak after winning, what, nine in a row(?), is not “so far off.”

I swear, I thought I was the anxiety-ridden alarmist of these boards but I’m a Sesame Street character compared to some of y’all. I get being nervous about the postseason but fretting about losses like this is just silly.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
A two-game losing streak after winning, what, nine in a row(?), is not “so far off.”

I swear, I thought I was the anxiety-ridden alarmist of these boards but I’m a Sesame Street character compared to some of y’all. I get being nervous about the postseason but fretting about losses like this is just silly.
Sucks the Avs were eliminated from post season tonight. Better luck next year.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Not surprised the post-loss regulars are all here talking about "effort" and "flipping switches" while they are dead silent after the 8 games out of the last 10 the Avs won.

Somebody posted a picture of Tweak from South Park after a loss referring to these posters and they were dead-on with that picture.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Serious question on THIS game. Compete level / execution level? Chicken and or egg?

Execution could have been better if compete level had been better, or compete level would have been better if execution better? No, not a trick question since there is an obvious answer.

Curious as to your response as you were there...

I view it similar to last game against Washington, though the problem was much worse in this game.

The main reason for me is they just didn't have the normal "fight" in their game they usually have. This is different than "compete" for me. It's emotional not physical. And it leads to poor execution as well.

It's an excuse the team can't make, but in reality it's just hard to ramp up how much you want to fight for a win in a game like this against a bottom dweller on the road, after a 9 game winning streak. I don't view that as something that will be a concern when the games really matter in the playoffs though.

Especially when imo they've had very few stinkers like this, this season. They've been much better at not playing down to their opposition as well. They've found ways to win in a lot of games where they could have just mailed it in. That's why they have so many points this year.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014

Hah. Excellent response. Silly for sure. But not really. Folks have motivations for being here. As my dad would ruminate about the hodge podges of people collecting electronically (he was a pioneer in social networking decades before it was even called that), he called them, these gatherings of similar minded souls, the bar scene in the original Star Wars. Why not.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I view it similar to last game against Washington, though the problem was much worse in this game.

The main reason for me is they just didn't have the normal "fight" in their game they usually have. This is different than "compete" for me. It's emotional not physical. And it leads to poor execution as well.

It's an excuse the team can't make, but in reality it's just hard to ramp up how much you want to fight for a win in a game like this against a bottom dweller on the road, after a 9 game winning streak. I don't view that as something that will be a concern when the games really matter in the playoffs though.

Especially when imo they've had very few stinkers like this, this season. They've been much better at not playing down to their opposition as well. They've found ways to win in a lot of games where they could have just mailed it in. That's why they have so many points this year.

Post of the nite, for me. Exactly what I had hoped for... this kind of view, review. With ya 100%. As said after the Caps game, game really didn't chaff me much at all. Neither does this game. Obvious you get out what you put in. Your post lays it out well.

So no biggie really. Until it might be. Edmonton will be interesting, aye?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
JML nailed it in the second intermission analysis. They just weren’t skating. It’s easy to keep a team like that on the perimeter when they’re not even bothering to push back. The one time they really did so in normal Avs fashion they easily worked down inside and Cale scored a goal.

I will say that I did not like a few of Bednar’s decisions tonight. I’ve said repeatedly that Compher and Kadri don’t work well together (remember that OT shift he had them both out there and they both converged on one guy?) and tonight was no different. Thankfully Bednar realized this after a while and swapped Compher and Meyers.

Also didn’t like the fact that NAK sat. I guess it was his “turn” but…meh.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Post of the nite, for me. Exactly what I had hoped for... this kind of view, review. With ya 100%. As said after the Caps game, game really didn't chaff me much at all. Neither does this game. Obvious you get out what you put in. Your post lays it out well.

So no biggie really. Until it might be. Edmonton will be interesting, aye?

I don't know if I would say I'd be concerned if they have another loss in Edmonton like these last two, because they really haven't had many loses like this this year, and these games don't really matter much outside of 1st overall, but it would definitely warrant some harsher criticism.

We have to take into consideration too that missing Toews and EJ on the blueline are impactful losses and JJ's turnovers against Washington basically lost them the game, and tonight Franky didn't really play a great game either. Forces them to play catchup hockey when the wins don't really matter much. Bad combo.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
I don't know if I would say I'd be concerned if they have another loss in Edmonton like these last two, because they really haven't had many loses like this this year, and these games don't really matter much outside of 1st overall, but it would definitely warrant some harsher criticism.

We have to take into consideration too that missing Toews and EJ on the blueline are impactful losses, and Franky didn't really play a great game in this one either.

100%, all around.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Losing against the Kraken, Yikes.....:confused:
Kinda an ugly outing.....But hey, it happens....5 more to go and than the real show begins....With hopefully a full healthy squad.

And, btw, there goes the president's trophy.....So we can also put this topic to sleep.

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
When was the last time they lost two in a row in regulation? The mini-slump in early March or back in October/November?

I think we're seeing that Avs can win without MacK or Landeskog or Kadri or whoever, but take out Toews and it all falls apart.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Don't mind the losses + playing without key players for a while now. It's much needed adversity going into the playoffs. It would have been real easy cruising into the 1st round playing lazy hockey.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
They’re literally missing two thirds of their top line, their second line center has missed close to a month, and three of their defensemen, one of whom is far and away their best defensive stopper. Add to that the fact their backup goalie who has been rather ordinary the last few games he’s been in net, sprinkle in some West Coast Fatigue, and you have the makings of a auto-loss.

I mean, they literally iced a third pairing of MacDermid/JJ and it was every bit as horrid as it looked on paper.

It’s fine to criticize their effort tonight because it wasn’t there, but let’s not forget what this team has weathered the last few months of the season and how many big opponents they’ve downed despite being shorthanded nearly every goddamned night this season. If there was a team I would be okay with them shitting the bed against, it’s this one.
Agreed they are missing guys and some guys guys are playing way out if position. Still doesn't excuse that shit show last night. You can still play hard, which they simply didn't do.

There is a difference between how they lost to Washington and how they lost to Seattle.

Washington was a good game with solid effort just didn't go our way. Seattle on the other hand was a gift we just handed them.

TheGrimReaper

ten years gone
Aug 20, 2020
gallows pole
With all things considered and all due respect , an Avalanche loss can certainly fuel some serious commentary by the members here. This kind of insight and evaluation doesn't manifest after wins. Had to leave prematurely last night , thus missing the last part of the game. But I must say , it was a pleasure to read the last few pages this morning regarding your thoughts on this loss. An Intellectual and Passionate fan base would be an understatement!
It would be one thing to say that a fan base is furious over a loss to an inferior team and then proceed to rant on aimlessly with non applicable anger /or the fact that a fan base is so well versed in how the game is played and then to thoughtfully illustrate what could have been done differently ( based on experience and observation ) to alter the outcome , IMHO you folks are the latter.
Cheers and GO AVS GO !

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Honestly giving a shit effort to a bottom feeder IMO is worse than laying an egg against a top tier team. Bad games will happen against good teams at least they have them skill to make you pay. Seattle is not good and shouldn't be able suppress our offense like they did.

This just shows me that they can't be bothered to show up every night. And this isn't a new thing either they've kinda done this shit against bottom tier teams all season.

Taking nights off in the playoffs doesn't work. Hell taking periods off in the playoffs doesn't work. Which we have a really bad tendancy with. Full 60 mins efforts doesn't seem to be this teams thing.

We'll have a full team for the playoffs but will they consistently give the right efforts, I don't know, guess we'll find out.

Reactions: drhiii

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad