Confirmed Trade: [COL/NSH] Cody McLeod for Felix Girard

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wonder if it was in response to this?:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rgIG7ezpTQ

Sakic:

"We still had to come up with a deal. Before I called David, I wanted to make sure this is what Cody wanted to do. . . I respect Cody for what he’s done. I played with him. He’s nothing but class. After all the work he’s put in for the Avalanche, I asked Cody what he wanted to do. I was going to treat him like basically he had a no-move (clause). I gave him the opportunity, I told him it was Nashville. I asked him if that was something he wanted to do. We know where we are in the standings, and he wanted a chance to go to a contender and fight for the playoffs.

We moved him as, first of all, a favor to him and give him an opportunity. And he welcomed it. I know it was probably a hard decision for him, but I think hockey-wise, where he is in his career, he wants a chance. This is all respect for Cody.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Also I'm sure Sakic realizes that you can sink to the bottom faster by taking away the "team guys" and making the young players and softie vets feel that there's no one around to stick up for them. Following Leaf model, late last year.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Also I'm sure Sakic realizes that you can sink to the bottom faster by taking away the "team guys" and making the young players and softie vets feel that there's no one around to stick up for them. Following Leaf model, late last year.

They already are at the bottom!

Getting McLeod off of the team and he still annoys Russo and the Wild? Huge win for the Avs.

My hot take is Nashville is gonna do work to get McLeod to convince Duchene to request a trade there.

Sarge58

Jan 25, 2014
The Central is becoming so inbred it wouldn't surprise me if some of the young guys called up from the minors start showing up with three ears and 12 toes.

stpn47

Feb 10, 2012
Kinda mad that we had to retain... would rather have saved our retentions for Iginla and Beauchemin to try to get them out of here... so it looks like FB will still be on the team at the end of the year :(

With that said, Cody has always been one of my favorites and I wish him nothing but luck. Longest tenured Av. Hope he gets a Cup out of this.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Kinda mad that we had to retain... would rather have saved our retentions for Iginla and Beauchemin to try to get them out of here... so it looks like FB will still be on the team at the end of the year :(

With that said, Cody has always been one of my favorites and I wish him nothing but luck. Longest tenured Av. Hope he gets a Cup out of this.

Not happy about the retention either, but the team still saves $800K in cap space. The 40% retention does balance out the salaries though, Girard earns $711K and being stuck in the AHL...won't be counted against the cap.

Still like this trade though, they get younger 22 vs 32 and they get a very speedy defensive player with leadership skills to lead their SA team. Jost, Compher, Greer, Grimaldi and 1st 2017 pick will be ahead of him and will likely at best be a 4th line player.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

You do realize that we have 3 retention spots available...therefore 2 left still for hopefully beauchemin and iginla.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,217.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $400.00