GDT: COL @ LA: Another Day, Another Late Start: 10 ET / 8 MT

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
After seeing how much Jost has improved his skating, I'm not super worried about Newhook, he has an insanely strong lower body and I imagine 2-3 years with the Avs skating team and the high tempo style of play that he will improve in that area. Kings have some good veteran players, Byram got absolutely turned inside out by Kopitar and had a tough game his first go against the Kings as well.

That being said I'm not entirely sold on anything other than his shot, hopefully he continues to improve. He certainly wasn't a liability by any means but I think another year in the AHL with big time minutes would probably be good for him next season. Ultimately though getting a taste of the NHL and the speed at the end of the regular season will only be good for his development.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
This is not an anti-Newhook post because I think he's been absolutely fine in his two games. I also want to say that what we're seeing is not the finished product, but I hope people understand why @henchman24 and I said what we did about his skating ability. He isn't really anything special in the pros, above-average and won't fail because of it, but isn't close to the same pace that MacKinnon, Makar, or even Duchene are. He gets around just fine and honestly that matters more than being super fast in straight line speed, but I think a lot of people overrated his skating ability because he was able to outskate BCHL and college pylons.
Seems like he has a great initial first burst but there is no continued acceleration. Hopefully it's something he works on because it could be something that separates him between good and great.

One thing I like is he seems to have a brain on him. And thank **** for that. Hockey dummies are the worst.

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
What a joy it was to watch Jost and Timmins. They needed to be good to give the team a chance to win that game and they both were excellent. I hope Nemeth is okay or gets better quickly but I don't think the Avs would have won the game if he hadn't left early. Avs came to work and very much deserved this win.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
After seeing how much Jost has improved his skating, I'm not super worried about Newhook, he has an insanely strong lower body and I imagine 2-3 years with the Avs skating team and the high tempo style of play that he will improve in that area. Kings have some good veteran players, Byram got absolutely turned inside out by Kopitar and had a tough game his first go against the Kings as well.

That being said I'm not entirely sold on anything other than his shot, hopefully he continues to improve. He certainly wasn't a liability by any means but I think another year in the AHL with big time minutes would probably be good for him next season. Ultimately though getting a taste of the NHL and the speed at the end of the regular season will only be good for his development.

Most scenarios in games where speed matters, it’s really about acceleration. It’s such that, to a large degree, you could say acceleration is speed and speed is acceleration.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This is not an anti-Newhook post because I think he's been absolutely fine in his two games. I also want to say that what we're seeing is not the finished product, but I hope people understand why @henchman24 and I said what we did about his skating ability. He isn't really anything special in the pros, above-average and won't fail because of it, but isn't close to the same pace that MacKinnon, Makar, or even Duchene are. He gets around just fine and honestly that matters more than being super fast in straight line speed, but I think a lot of people overrated his skating ability because he was able to outskate BCHL and college pylons.
And The people who have watched him most will continue to be puzzled by these takes. I’ve explained over and over that just being super fast wasn’t what made Newhook so special. It was his stops, starts, first step and skating in small spaces which has been on full display in both pro leagues so far.

Don’t really understand your post because being way faster than NHL players in a straight line race was never expected by anybody who has followed his career. The only time it’s brought up are by people like yourself who criticize it when in reality it’s never even been a major part of his game. To top it off, his high end speed is still pretty good lol. But it was never going to be a tool he used to create separation in the NHL because it was never going to be that much better than that of other good NHL straight line skaters
Seems like he has a great initial first burst but there is no continued acceleration. Hopefully it's something he works on because it could be something that separates him between good and great.

One thing I like is he seems to have a brain on him. And thank **** for that. Hockey dummies are the worst.
His acceleration is good but it’s not, or has never been what made him such a special skater. It’s his skating in small spaces. Which is also the case for nearly every other great skater in this league. The days of blowing the doors off a defender wide to create space is pretty much non existent these days. Defenseman are too mobile. The game is changed and quick feet and strong edges are how the elite skaters create separation which is exactly what Newhook is showing at the pro level. The only way somebody could come away disappointed from Newhook’s skating from these first few games were if you didn’t understand what makes his skating special like @S E P H ever since the draft. He even mentioned @henchman24 in his post and he did indeed question his skating too but has since commented on the specifics of Newhook’s skating being what made him what he is.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I want the Wild in the first round honestly.

They have absolutely awful advanced stats, and have just been riding a lot of luck this year. Very reminiscent of the 13/14 Avs.

And we have just flat out dominated them in the majority of our games against them this season.

Get home ice against the Wild and I think we win in 5. They are not a good team and don't have the talent to match up against a healthy Avs team.

Blues are coming alive here down the stretch and know how to win in the playoffs. Not that I am overly scared of them still, but I'd be happy to see them and Vegas beat the shit out of each other in the first round.

My only issue with this is it means the Avs finish 2nd and aren't guaranteed home ice for the first two rounds.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
I want the Wild in the first round honestly.

They have absolutely awful advanced stats, and have just been riding a lot of luck this year. Very reminiscent of the 13/14 Avs.

And we have just flat out dominated them in the majority of our games against them this season.

Get home ice against the Wild and I think we win in 5. They are not a good team and don't have the talent to match up against a healthy Avs team.

Blues are coming alive here down the stretch and know how to win in the playoffs. Not that I am overly scared of them still, but I'd be happy to see them and Vegas beat the shit out of each other in the first round.

My only issue with this is it means the Avs finish 2nd and aren't guaranteed home ice for the first two rounds.

I like your choice to go with double spacing. It makes it clean and easier to read. Did you write it in Word first?

falconski

Unregistered User
Jan 21, 2008
I think that Jost is currently our 4th best forward, and I am not sure how should I feel about it.
yep...and part of it is because of Jost improving way more than we were prepared for..but the other part is because of Kadri getting worse and bura/donskoi/saad being inconsistent

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
yep...and part of it is because of Jost improving way more than we were prepared for..but the other part is because of Kadri getting worse and bura/donskoi/saad being inconsistent
Aside from every game against Vegas where Burakovsky disappears he has been very consistent. I don’t know what happens to him against them but he needs to start finding the scoresheet.

If you remove the Vegas games Burakovsky has 38 points in 42 games this season.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Despite Jost’s improvement in his all-around game this year, his PPG is actually lower than it was last year.

I can’t give him that much credit when the offence in his game is still incredibly inconsistent.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
Despite Jost’s improvement in his all-around game this year, his PPG is actually lower than it was last year.

I can’t give him that much credit when the offence in his game is still incredibly inconsistent.

Let’s show some appreciation for the concept of value:

upload_2021-5-8_9-22-12.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad