Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Joe Colborne (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Does he have the ability to play RW? I could see the Blues offering Yakupov for him.

He has been playing wing all season but I can't remember which side he has been on. I think it was RW though as the other winger is generally McLeod or Martinsen.

I'll be surprised if another team trades for him though simply due to how tight teams are up against the cap right now. He's signed for 1 more year.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
Well he's playing in a system with no system... They literally can't even enter the offensive zone correctly.

Bednar is a rotten coach. Every single player on his roster is playing below their talent level. That comes down to coaching.

Agreed.

Or simply inheriting a roster that was a poor fit for his system to begin with a week before the season with no input on how to shape it in UFA.

But why give a coach an actual chance to get some guys that fits what he is trying to do and just assume he is "rotten" despite having a roster that would lose no matter who the coach is. :sarcasm:

Then adapt your system to one that that gets you more than 16 wins. The Avs are in last place by a mile. That's on the coach.

The Avs have hired 3 rookie coaches in a row. None of which has taught this team to play any defense.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Or simply inheriting a roster that was a poor fit for his system to begin with a week before the season with no input on how to shape it in UFA.

But why give a coach an actual chance to get some guys that fits what he is trying to do and just assume he is "rotten" despite having a roster that would lose no matter who the coach is. :sarcasm:

I watch every Colorado game, he's rotten. He shuffles the lines so often that there's a term called the "Bednar blender." Refuses to keep lines together, despite the fact that they're clearly not making the playoffs.

Do you believe this is the first time a coach has "inherited" a roster? Coaching changes happen mid-season all the time and teams don't fall off a cliff.

Maybe you're right; it's a poor fit for his system, but make the adjustments, you're an NHL coach.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I stand by my earlier evaluation... he can pop together a 20 game hot streak at any moment... but the other 40 games you feel unhappy to waste a 4th line role on him

maybe this year he plays more and the 40 games becomes 50 games... maybe he doesn't get his 20 game hot streak this year

but this is who this guy is... giving him a long term deal is a mistake

I said the same thing when benoit pouliot was signed. teams have to begin learning its ok to give 1 year deals to guys that take off half the season when they have security. hockey is a tough game to play. if a guy isn't a self starter... then don't give them security

you aren't losing anything cause when these guys coast they suck worst than an ahl call up

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
He is just an awful fit for the Avs current system. When they brought him in it was supposed to be under Roy where he probably could have done alright but under Bednar you NEED to be a fast player which is where Colborne struggles.

He also has been majorly on the wing and not his natural center position which hasn't been great. I dont expect him to be moved but I think he would do well on a team like LA.

I like how people still think Bednar has a "system" but Roy didn't have one. LOL

Sorry, I agree with you mostly on your post, but a good coach can adapt his system to his roster. This is what every successful coach in every major sport does. Bednar is just a completely brain dead coach with one system that worked for young fast people in the AHL. And yet Roy got flack for tweaking his systems to actually fit his roster and then worked on a seperate front in order to bring in other players that fit the system he wanted to play down the road.

Bednar is such a joke its just not even funny. :shakehead

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
He is just an awful fit for the Avs current system. When they brought him in it was supposed to be under Roy where he probably could have done alright but under Bednar you NEED to be a fast player which is where Colborne struggles.

He also has been majorly on the wing and not his natural center position which hasn't been great. I dont expect him to be moved but I think he would do well on a team like LA.

I don't think he's been a center since College with any consistency.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Does he have the ability to play RW? I could see the Blues offering Yakupov for him.
Yes, he can play all 3 forward positions. Not sure what has happened to him in Colorado, but reading that McLeod and Martinson are two common linemates sure explains something. I think in STL is he was given a top 9 role he would bounce back.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yes, he can play all 3 forward positions. Not sure what has happened to him in Colorado, but reading that McLeod and Martinson are two common linemates sure explains something. I think in STL is he was given a top 9 role he would bounce back.

Colborne might be the laziest athlete I've seen in any sport.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

Both Cody and Andreas did more for the Avs this year than JC. At least they tried out there on the ice. He got demoted to the 4th line for lack of effort and instead of battling through to get the trust back he flat out gave up. Same as Soderberg and to a lesser degree Iginla.

I think they will surely bounce back on another team, but I wish them nothing but the worst, because they don't deserve any better after the display in Colorado.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That was a weird one.
Apparently he was talking about much more money in Calgary before he signed in Colorado. Bullet dodged. This guy's about as depth as it gets; and leaves you wanting so much more.

In Calgary he looked like he was going to be a 30-35 point middle 6 winger who could be split into centre if needed; then again, he was likely going to play with Monahan, Gaudreau, Backlund, Frolik or Bennett/Tkachuk. This was a major warning in the off-season. The guy didn't start playing like a stud until the season was absolutely lost last year. It should have been a red flag; but seeing a 6'5'' 230 pounder hit the market after 44 in 73... I don't think every GM could have passed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad