Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Joe Colborne (2 years, $2.5M AAV)

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Good for Joe. 3rd line winger, has speed and flashes of skill, good on the boards, but one big word here. Inconsistency. Probably the worst shift by shift consistent player I've ever seen. One shift he looks like a legit top 6 player, the next he is completely lost. Also disappears for long stretches, wasn't expecting him back. Awesome guy in the community though, best of luck.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
Colorado should be happy we were worried about being forced to pay him over 3.5M would have taken him back no problem at under 3

AimForTopCheddar

trust the yzerplan
Feb 7, 2012
Calgary
What a mistake on Treliving's part. Doesn't qualify him and loses him with out gaining an asset. This is just slightly more than what Lance Bouma is getting right now and Joe Colborne is miles better than Bouma. Poor asset management by Treliving I must say.

Lance Bouma brings a lot more to the table and Treliving wanted to replace him with Brouwer. The int way we would've gotten an asset from him is if we qualified him which at that point he would exercise his arbitration rights.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Oh my god, he's got Iginla-itis. Poor kid.

No it's smart, if he's fortunate enough to play with Duchene then his stats are gonna be either maintained or even improve and they won't go down much with MacKinnon either so he can then cash in again in 2 years time. If he'd just taken a bigger contract somewhere now, might've ended in a buyout and the end of his NHL career.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Have to say, I agree with the Flames. Better to not have him at all than have him at 3.5+ (What arbitration likely would have netted)

Real winner here is Colorado though. He's a good middle 6 guy and that's a good price. And he loves Denver

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If he puts it all together, you will get a great player. Still terribly inconsistent and not a strong defensive player by any means.

Bezer

Aug 30, 2009
Calgary
Cuz he really isn't that good. People just look at his inflated stats and think he's good.

Completely uninformed assessment above.

As said a few times he would have went to arbitration and most likely would have been awarded something not affordable by the Flames.

He is a good middle 6 guy who can fill in through the line up. Also Avs fans can expect him to be one of the first 3 shooters during the shootout. He was 75%(3/4) last year in shoot out attempts.

member 202355

This reminds me of when Anaheim let go of Mathieu Perreault. Only Colborne isn't as good.

Caged Great

Jan 1, 2007
Calgary
Colborne is a 25-30 point player who had a late season hot streak after the games didn't matter. He wanted closer to 4 to stay in Calgary, which he simply wasn't worth it.

Would have preferred to trade him, but it's fine that he is simply gone. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if Chaisson replaces Colborne's normal production next year.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Writings been on the wall for a while. As soon as I saw the Brouwer signing I knew he was gone. Pretty decent middle 6 winger IMO, would of loved him back on the Flames at that price and term. Good on the boards and in front of the net, rest of his game is pretty average.

He was my next door neighbour growing up, good luck Joe!

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
No it's smart, if he's fortunate enough to play with Duchene then his stats are gonna be either maintained or even improve and they won't go down much with MacKinnon either so he can then cash in again in 2 years time. If he'd just taken a bigger contract somewhere now, might've ended in a buyout and the end of his NHL career.

Colborne played with Monahan and Gaudreau, he couldn't keep up and the pick died on his stick more often than not. If you think your aces are going to hold him up, you might be barking up the wrong tree.

It's a good value contract, his numbers are inflated with that late season run; but you're looking at a 30 point big skill winger. Not a bad price point. He didn't have a spot with this team with the drafting of Tkachuk and Shinkaruk emerging last season.

May 23, 2007
Calgary
Get ready for him to have shifts where he dominates and you absolutely cannot take the puck from him for a whole minute...only to then give it away to the defender.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Completely uninformed assessment above.

As said a few times he would have went to arbitration and most likely would have been awarded something not affordable by the Flames.

He is a good middle 6 guy who can fill in through the line up. Also Avs fans can expect him to be one of the first 3 shooters during the shootout. He was 75%(3/4) last year in shoot out attempts.

He's a decent 3rd liner. Colborne shouldn't be in anyone's top 6 unless you are trying to draft 1st ov.

Flamester

Aug 9, 2011
calgary
wow this is a steal for the avs. avs fans are gona be super happy with this guy. only downfall is he doesn't use his size as much as you'd want him too and he tends to turn over pucks alot but other then that hes a solid player

PsYcNeT

The No-Fun Zone
Jan 24, 2007
Avs have their new whipping boy. Colborne is one of those guys that looks like he should be playing a lot better than he does.

Soft on the boards, floats when he doesn't have the puck, and bobbles passes like it's his job.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
He didn't qualify him so he could try to get him cheaper. It was a necessary risk. Even then, Colborne's rights wouldn't have been worth much at all.

Deal still could've been made before arbitration and at the end of the day, $2.5M is extremely reasonable for what he brings to the table. The fact that he had interest from around the league proves he has value. Brouwer had better prove to be significantly better than Colborne at almost double the price.

chubeyr

Aug 19, 2005
As a Flames fan I do like Joe Colborne.

Calgary didnt qualify him due to arbitration. Could of got close to 4 million dollars and in no way deserves that. Flames still wanted to sign Joe and gave him a deadline to sign by (today).

I have no idea what the offer was, could of been longer term and more money than the Avs. Soon as the Flames signed Brouwer offer was off the table. Thats my read on it, I think thats accurate.

Never the less the contract he signed is a fair contract. Good value for the Avs. Term and money are perfect. I think Colborne could of got more if he waited. Another year another $500,000 AAV. Good signing by the Avs.

Now time to praise and knock Colborne. Praise, great community guy, Definately not a problem child. A mature young man with passion. He has gotten better year after year in Calgary. He has started using his size more and more on the ice, appears to be a great teammate, He can dominate board battles, goes to the front of the net and uses every body part to score with ( Every body part )!

The Bad, disappears for long stretches. Forget about playing center, he is a winger. He is too blind to pass to teammates. He plays soft for such a big guy, never the less he shows flashes where he just dominates ( Frustrating ). When Colborne does a drop pass your dmen better stop on a dime and hussle their butts back cause Colborne is awful when he tries to be a playmaker!

Never the less, at the price tag? I would keep Colborne on the Flames. At 2.5 million the good makes up for the bad. There is alot of growth their as well still available.

Good signing. Not a star player, gonna drive you nuts at times too!
If a game is going to a shoot out, trust me put Joe on the ice! Guy is money, Dont know if there is a better shoot out player in the league. In a shoot out he is amazing. He does not even have to go down the ice, the goalie has lost the battle before he goes down the ice.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
Treliving just said on the radio that what Colborne signed for was far from what he was asking from the Flames

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad