Confirmed Trade: [COL/BUF] Jonas Johansson to COL for 2021 6th round pick

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
I don't think Bernier is nearly good enough and I think he will cost way too much for the role he needs to fill on the Avs.
We would have made the WCF. True. But gotten spanked by Tampa at the very latest. Very likely would have lost to Vegas as well.

I am not trading a 1st or give up a guy like Kaut or Timmins or Ranta just to hedge against a scenario where we very, very likely have no shot to win a cup anyways regardless of what moves we make / don't make at the TDL.

You need luck to win a cup. If Grubi or Mac goes down, it just wasn't our year unfortunately once again...

The team won games this season without Mack, and the team won games last season without Grubi. Francouz had something like 21 wins last season I'm not sure where you're going with this. Bernier is actually thoroughly liked by this organization from his short stint here, and he also went on a run and stole quite a few games, a huge difference from how he played in Toronto. Detroit is in rebuild mode, they charge nothing but a C-tier prospect or a 4th-6th round draft pick for Bernier at this point.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
The team won games this season without Mack, and the team won games last season without Grubi. Francouz had something like 21 wins last season I'm not sure where you're going with this. Bernier is actually thoroughly liked by this organization from his short stint here, and he also went on a run and stole quite a few games, a huge difference from how he played in Toronto. Detroit is in rebuild mode, they charge nothing but a C-tier prospect or a 4th-6th round draft pick for Bernier at this point.

I am not talking about winning some games. I am talking about winning a cup. Huge difference. That means we have to go through one of Minnesota/STL, Vegas and two more division winners. Probably the hardest path we will face in a longtime. Odds are very, very high you won't have a real chance to make it through that gauntlet if either Mac or Grubi are out for longer than a game or two.

I am not hating on Bernier I just don't think he is good enough to win a cup with (Hammond thoroughly outplayed him for the Avs during that 7 game series) and he certainly is not going to be available for a 4th-6th + C-prospects. Tons of teams are looking for upgrades in goal and he is the best rental goalie on the market. Its atleast going to cost a 3rd and more likely a 2nd+ due to other teams wanting him as well.

But sure. Just ignore everything I said if we can get him for a 5th+ Leivermann and do that...
But thats not gonna happen.

Reactions: Patagonia

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Johansson looked like a street hockey goalie against the Pens.

It doesn't matter how tall you are if you're on your knees every time the puck is near the net.

Every goalie is on their knees when the puck is near the net nowadays.

Despite their record, the Sabres played way more confident when JJ was in net than when Hutton was there. Regardless this is just a depth move for the Avs, and the 6th will be lucky to get a game in for the Sabres (he’ll definitely win the Hart once the Sabres let him go though because that’s the Sabres luck)

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I'm guessing the Avs are just hoping their team defense can elevate him to a .900 until Frankie can come back, since all the goalie trade targets got injured

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I don’t think gunning for someone like Bernier is stupid though. That’s hedging your bets that in the (second) worst scenario you have an established former starter as your third stringer.
Problem is he’s injured at the moment and the Avalanche have a back-to-back this week.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Spending a 6th round pick on a goalie at the draft would likely yield similar, it just gets the Avs a goalie now versus at the draft / for the future. Probably what the Avs would have used their 6th/7th for anyhow.

Anyone who doesn’t like this for the Avs has not watched Hunter Miska play this year. Seems like it’s pretty fair for the Sabres, too

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
defensive play of sabres versus avs is not marginal though
Misks is the single worst goalie that ever started for the Avs. And there were some lousy goalies on that list before him. Miska was significantly worse than them all.

So glad he’s gone. Dude was mentally shattered. And he was never talented of NHL capable to begin with.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Eichel got pretty good value on this trade, maybe should have gone for a 5th but getting a 6th for an ECHL caliber goalie. Can’t complain I guess.

Avaholic29

Feb 5, 2014
Sabres fans are going to rage quit when johansson plays like a stud with an nhl calibre hockey team.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I have no idea what Colorado is doing, it's the most important year for a backup ever, they got bitten last year by not having depth, and they make a trade for this guy. My god he's bad. 2 weak goals and I don't remember the last time a goalie went 0/3 in the shootout.

Reactions: Nihiliste

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I have no idea what Colorado is doing, it's the most important year for a backup ever, they got bitten last year by not having depth, and they make a trade for this guy. My god he's bad. 2 weak goals and I don't remember the last time a goalie went 0/3 in the shootout.
I think Avs fans are as confused as you. The Avs didn't add a quality #3 in the offseason after losing both goalies last year in the playoffs...and then they lose Francouz before this season even starts (we have no idea to what)....and Sakic's #2 goalie solutions have been Hunter and now Johansson.

They're basically toast if they lose Grubauer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad