Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Andre Burakovsky (2 years, $4.9M AAV)

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Meh. I am not sure about Burkie one way or the other. He is crazy talented afterall. I'd very much rather given him another year to prove his worth one way or the other and then made the determination about his future with the Avs instead of giving him a path straight to UFA in 2 years now...
I'd also very much rather have locked up him longterm than Hall for example..
I still think Sakic has messed up here. Either 1 or 3 years would have been perfectly fine. 2 years is bad for us even if it might save us 1m or so in capspace over the next 2 years. But odds are we won't make great use of that 1M extra anyways so I am disappointed with this deal...
He didn't mess up in the slightest. Burakovsky probably won't be protected as well, they can leave him exposed knowing he only has one more year and his salary is higher than his cap hit. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Reactions: Makar27

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
This should leave money on the table for the Avs to push for Hall a little more now.

Hall on a 2 year deal sets up a really clear 2 year window here for the Avs to push our chips in the middle and go all in before a small retool after that.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Straight to UFA.
Not a fan of this at all.
Not quite sure what Sakic was thinking here.
1 or 3 years would have been fine by me but 2?
Welp...

He’s one year from UFA. He’s played 6 seasons.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He didn't mess up in the slightest. Burakovsky probably won't be protected as well, they can leave him exposed knowing he only has one more year and his salary is higher than his cap hit. You're making a mountain out of a molehill.

Are you serious?
Why wouldn't we protect him? Are you one of the guys having delusions about signing Hall or where does this come from?
He is our 4th or 5th best forward at the very least.
Of course you protect him...

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seems a bit high and short term no?

How so?

He just put up 45 points in 58 games for us, a 65 point pace in a full 82 game season. And, he followed that up by actually going PPG+ in the playoffs with 17 in 15 games.

The cap hit is actually pretty good, lower then what most Avs fans expected from him. And the term makes a tonne of sense as this was his first good year after 3 very average years in Washington.

This is a clear "Go out and prove it" kind of contract.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He’s one year from UFA. He’s played 6 seasons.

Well you are right. That certainly changes things. Thought we had just bought two RFA years (also believe I read it somewhere )there due to him only being 25...
Nevermind then I guess...

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Are you serious?
Why wouldn't we protect him? Are you one of the guys having delusions about signing Hall or where does this come from?
He is our 4th or 5th best forward at the very least.
Of course you protect him...

How about you take a chill pill? They can protect him, or not. Either way I see a hard time Seattle picking a guy one year away from UFA.

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Good numbers for a good player. I think a lot of the "gross" comments come from people thinking he's still the Burakovsky of Washington that never really got a chance.

He was spectacular this year in his role and I'm excited he's back. Can be a really dynamic player. Really glad he's back on a reasonable deal.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
How about you take a chill pill? They can protect him, or not. Either way I see a hard time Seattle picking a guy one year away from UFA.

Why not? Thats great for them. They get to test drive the player, see if they want to keep them longterm (they will have a ton of capspace to play with) and if not they can sell him for very good value at the deadline. Thats the type of players I would load up on if I am Seattle. Too bad that there is no way the Avs are stupid enough to not protect him unless he completely shits the bed next year (which as Avs fans we really shouldn't hope for)...

And yeah I very much disagree with your valuation of Burkie. Depending on Newhooks development and how Burakovsky does next year, I'd very much rather watch Kadri walk/trade him somewhere than I would Burakovsky. His playoff performance was simply too good to atleast not consider it IMO. Only guy outside of Mack that can generate goals out of thin air for us with his shot which is incredibly valuable if he can keep it up and even improve from that...

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
I like the deal. Guy isn’t a core piece but a really good 2nd line player. Couple of years just under 5 fits perfect. Gives some flexibility to add more as well. Lines up good when we have to pay Mack and Makar so we don’t have to dump contracts like some teams have to this year. I hope Sakic sticks with the 2-3 year deals for all non core pieces. With a flat cap it could increase his value in a years time if he can put up the same numbers for a trade if they think they can’t keep him beyond this contract.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I think this deal is perfect.. IMO if he signed a longer deal and/or more money, fans would be pissed off... I hate seeing teams hand out long term deals like candy to some players and it become regretful down the road.

I think Bura is a good player and I do like him but I always feel he is one of those guys that will have a good season, then a average season, then a pretty good season etc etc... last year was pretty much his first impressive season so he still needs to prove himself.

Maybe this bites Avs in the ass in 2 years or maybe it's a blessing they only gave him a 2 year deal... regardless, Avs have alot of other top notch pieces on their team so I dont think it will matter much if they lose him to UFA in a couple years

Reactions: Gabe MacAntanen

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Kadri >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Burakovsky.

Way too many >>>>s....
Burakovsky is better at creating offense already than Kadri ever was. Overall Kadri is still the better player but its nowhere near as big of a difference as you are making it out to be. Both guys will be protected in the expansion draft of course and depending on what Newhook does and what the options/contract demands will be, Sakic will make a decision...
But if Burakovsky can be the Burakovsky that he was in the playoffs for us going forward, I'd personally be more willing to pay him than I would be to pay 31 year old Kadri...
Maybe thats me just being salty about him blowing game 7 but I never thought he would be our #2 C after his current contract is up anyways...

mackinnon29

Nov 24, 2017
I think this deal is perfect.. IMO if he signed a longer deal and/or more money, fans would be pissed off... I hate seeing teams hand out long term deals like candy to some players and it become regretful down the road.

I think Bura is a good player and I do like him but I always feel he is one of those guys that will have a good season, then a average season, then a pretty good season etc etc... last year was pretty much his first impressive season so he still needs to prove himself.

Maybe this bites Avs in the ass in 2 years or maybe it's a blessing they only gave him a 2 year deal... regardless, Avs have alot of other top notch pieces on their team so I dont think it will matter much if they lose him to UFA in a couple years

Completely agree and if this does indeed look like a player that becomes that 60-65 point 2 line guy and we can’t keep him we have lots of guys in the pipe line that can fill that position.

Reactions: Skinnyjimmy08

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Bit expencive?

Meh. Not really. We are talking about a 25 year old guy that was on pace for 65 points/82 games and was over PPG in 15 playoff games.
That type of production usually costs a bit of money. Especially now that I stand corrected and it does buy 1 UFA year...

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Not gonna complain after seeing Domi and Anderson contracts would’ve liked an extra year but it’s fine. Clutch player and one of the best wrister in the league !

Reactions: Jeff Whelbourn

Ad

Upcoming events

• Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $9,251.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Torino vs Bologna
    Torino vs Bologna
    Wagers: 5