Confirmed Signing with Link: [COL] Avalanche re-sign Andre Burakovsky (2 years, $4.9M AAV)

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Bigger number than I expected but they have the space to do it. Nice year for him.

Reactions: uncleben

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
Straight to UFA.
Not a fan of this at all.
Not quite sure what Sakic was thinking here.
1 or 3 years would have been fine by me but 2?
Welp...

Reactions: hn777

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
That third UFA year would probably have bumped the AAV way up.

Maybe. Even though I think the contract already is pretty generous in a flat cap world.
But if that is the case, you do a 4.5m year deal for next season, give him another year to prove himself and then either go for a big longterm contract or trade him. I really don't like 2 years straight to UFA for almost 5M..
Just seems like the worst of all possible options for the Avs here..

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
AAV is lower than expected but so is the term. As an Avs fan I would have liked to see an extra year but at that aav it’s hard to complain.

30 goal, 65 point pace in the regular season. Over a PPG in the playoffs. All under 5M. Leaves more cap space than expected too.

Reactions: Kschey

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Straight to UFA.
Not a fan of this at all.
Not quite sure what Sakic was thinking here.
1 or 3 years would have been fine by me but 2?
Welp...
He's not a core piece and they know money will be tight few years down the road.

Reactions: Makar27

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Meh, more AAV than I thought, but likely less than Burakovsky was looking for.
Sakic looking at a 2 year window before committing to how to move forward, as it lines up with Kadri's deal and probably a couple more of their RFAs yet to be signed.

frees up a significant chunk of money if needed going into the last year of Nate's value contract.

Reactions: CanuckCity

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Maybe. Even though I think the contract already is pretty generous in a flat cap world.
But if that is the case, you do a 4.5m year deal for next season, give him another year to prove himself and then either go for a big longterm contract or trade him. I really don't like 2 years straight to UFA for almost 5M..
Just seems like the worst of all possible options for the Avs here..

Or you can be thankful about the flat cap allowing them to have him for at least next two years at under 5 as opposed to the 6.5 mil he likely would have received.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I don't think Sakic wanted to go long term with Burakovsky, so this is what you get. I understand that view. He strikes me as the type of player that might get complacent if too comfortable.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
He's not a core piece and they know money will be tight few years down the road.

Meh. I am not sure about Burkie one way or the other. He is crazy talented afterall. I'd very much rather given him another year to prove his worth one way or the other and then made the determination about his future with the Avs instead of giving him a path straight to UFA in 2 years now...
I'd also very much rather have him locked up longterm than Hall for example (ideally you don't do either but thats what other Avs fans that see Burkie expendable want to do)..
I still think Sakic has messed up here. Either 1 or 3 years would have been perfectly fine. 2 years is bad for us even if it might save us 1m or so in capspace over the next 2 years. But odds are we won't make great use of that 1M extra anyways so I am disappointed with this deal...

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Meh, more AAV than I thought, but likely less than Burakovsky was looking for.
Sakic looking at a 2 year window before committing to how to move forward, as it lines up with Kadri's deal and probably a couple more of their RFAs yet to be signed.

frees up a significant chunk of money if needed going into the last year of Nate's value contract.
Pretty much this but I hope Kadri considers coming back to Toronto for some redemption after his contract

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I like it.

Lower aav than I expected, and Bura is not a guy I would at all be comfortable committing longer term on right now.

2 years is a good time to really evaluate what player he is. Is he the 50+ legit Top 6 winger we saw for us last year, or is he the 30-35 frustratingly inconsistent winger we saw for years in Washington.

Personally I'd be quite alright to walk away from him as a UFA regardless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad