Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Conner Bleackley, and Kyle Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If the Avs had Boedker and were 80% sure they couldn't re-sign him but were in the same place regarding the playoff hunt,

would people have been happy if they traded him for #53+Wood+Tanguay (assuming his play was the same as it was for us pre-trade)?

Not sure if that's comparable as would anyone want to make the team worse during a playoff run for futures, it would be the Stastny argument, would it? I know the counter argument is saying he does make the team better so why would you rather have the futures we had. I think it's a matter of what you had vs. what you didn't have. Would I have wanted to trade an important player for extra futures, maybe not. But I believed in the team we had and thought they should have used Mikko if they wanted to "borrow" from future assets. The other part of it is this org doesn't seem to find their way into many futures by selling things off, so it's just like those things work one way, and that adds to my frustration. Seems like AZ fans thought Boedker was very inconsistent and not worth the contract he was asking for. Would we have felt the same way if he had been here for a few years, maybe we would be ready to get some futures for him. But it's a fair question.

AMDZen

ME in the RED Circle
Apr 7, 2010
Denver
Home.Page.ZeN
ok, people are proud and stubburn.... can any one at this time not love this trade?
SERIOUSLY

You hit the nail on the head, the people who don't love the trade are simply too proud or stubborn. Stubbornness is abundant on both sides though.

It's OK, for those of us who love Boedker, and the trade (the people on the right side of the argument :P) because we won! It's already said and done and we are not only the ones who are CORRECT! on the matter but also the ones who WIN! the argument simply because of the facts.

Others will have no choice but to come around after we sign him in the off season, proving my point from the get go that this wasn't a trade for a "rental" in the common sense of the terminology any way, and arguing that it was a rental trade is arguing from the wrong foot. :D

Love you guys still though, even if your wrong :naughty:

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
You hit the nail on the head, the people who don't love the trade are simply too proud or stubborn. Stubbornness is abundant on both sides though.

It's OK, for those of us who love Boedker, and the trade (the people on the right side of the argument :P) because we won! It's already said and done and we are not only the ones who are CORRECT! on the matter but also the ones who WIN! the argument simply because of the facts.

Others will have no choice but to come around after we sign him in the off season, proving my point from the get go that this wasn't a trade for a "rental" in the common sense of the terminology any way, and arguing that it was a rental trade is arguing from the wrong foot. :D

Love you guys still though, even if your wrong :naughty:

I dont see it as a debate .. its more of a intellectual tug of war! ha.. so..

we celebrate this value: that it is OK to disagree and rejoice in the profound differences in values...

I dont have to lose mine and am free point out the obvious.. in this case we are all glad to have skilled F's especially with three of the core playing round robin game missing musical chairs... I hope we win out and am honestly interested in the character the avs will show.
Even better than this trade is bringing in Mathias, if ever a guy deserved to come here and be celebrated, and valued it is him. These two look very happy to be in Colorado....

I hope as we all do we make it to the post, but simply competing now is a HUGE win for us, imo, as we where dogschtitzz in the first part of the season.
We still need one more decent defensive guy.. ha ha they even created a new name for them, honestly who edits the NHL web? The avs pages are calling the d core the REAR GAURD ha, like french , non? Long live the .. no wait I
am not French! ha

So, we may not have this guy.. Boeds, after the season, but honestly thats true of all our players. He could stay though and if so, I would say he is fast enough to fit into our run gun and done play...
Long live the King, long live the Cup... :shakehead

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Are you saying Wood was one of our top-4 best prospects? Or that he has top-4 potential?

The latter, Peacock/Mikki/Woody/Meloche are our top 4 prospects IMO (with Picks at #5). I still have concerns about Wood making good on it...and am skeptical about him ever developing a mean-streak/physical-game...but the kid has top-4 talent to go with that huge body, RH-shot, and strong progress since being drafted.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The latter, Peacock/Mikki/Woody/Meloche are our top 4 prospects IMO (with Picks at #5). I still have concerns about Wood making good on it...and am skeptical about him ever developing a mean-streak/physical-game...but the kid has top-4 talent to go with that huge body, RH-shot, and strong progress since being drafted.

Personally I believe you're way too optimistic about Wood's future. He's not even guaranteed to make it as a bottom pairing guy. While he may have improved, he was still very, VERY raw his draft year and still has a long ways to go.

At some point, you have to give to get too to make these kinds of deals. You also have to take into consideration that with Beauchemin (for the next 2 years) EJ-Barrie-Zadorov-Bigras likely taking up the top 4-5 spots for the foreseeable future, that means only a few spots are left amongst competition that will include : Meloche (probably made Wood expendable), Mironov, Gelinas and possibly a few other darkhorses like Boikov and Butcher. That's not even taking into consideration any D-men that the Avs would draft this year.

In the end, it's a pretty good deal for the Avs and if they end up signing Boedker to a fair, long-term deal, it's a fantastic deal.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Personally I believe you're way too optimistic about Wood's future. He's not even guaranteed to make it as a bottom pairing guy. While he may have improved, he was still very, VERY raw his draft year and still has a long ways to go.

At some point, you have to give to get too to make these kinds of deals. You also have to take into consideration that with Beauchemin (for the next 2 years) EJ-Barrie-Zadorov-Bigras likely taking up the top 4-5 spots for the foreseeable future, that means only a few spots are left amongst competition that will include : Meloche (probably made Wood expendable), Mironov, Gelinas and possibly a few other darkhorses like Boikov and Butcher. That's not even taking into consideration any D-men that the Avs would draft this year.

In the end, it's a pretty good deal for the Avs and if they end up signing Boedker to a fair, long-term deal, it's a fantastic deal.

Of course not. That's why I said I still have concerns about him making good on his potential. He very easily could never reach the NHL level. I just hate giving up that gifted a project at a position where we now have no cover in case something goes wrong with Meloche/Barrie/EJ before we can backfill the RHD depth.

I know our forward depth was dreadful in the shortrun, and Boedker helps us a lot this year; but in the long run I was more concerned on turning our defensive core and pipeline into a powerhouse that was consistently pumping out young talent. That way, if there turned out to be no room for a dman in 2-3 years but a need for a forward; then we could start cashing in on our defensive prospects, when they're value would be higher and we'd have better depth at the position.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Wood is in no way a better prospect than Pickard and Compher. And I don't see a reasonable explanation to even put him in the same sentence with Mikko, Z and Meloche.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I should have thought better of it while discussing Wood, but I was referring to Bigras by the Woody nickname there. Not Kyle Wood. Zadorov/Rantanen/Bigras/Meloche are our top 4 prospects IMO

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Of course not. That's why I said I still have concerns about him making good on his potential. He very easily could never reach the NHL level. I just hate giving up that gifted a project at a position where we now have no cover in case something goes wrong with Meloche/Barrie/EJ before we can backfill the RHD depth.

I know our forward depth was dreadful in the shortrun, and Boedker helps us a lot this year; but in the long run I was more concerned on turning our defensive core and pipeline into a powerhouse that was consistently pumping out young talent. That way, if there turned out to be no room for a dman in 2-3 years but a need for a forward; then we could start cashing in on our defensive prospects, when they're value would be higher and we'd have better depth at the position.

That was the approach the Pens took, and it never really worked.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
That was the approach the Pens took, and it never really worked.

Do you blame the plan there, or the execution/luck? Cause the Pens haven't really developed talent well anywhere. Had the Pens drafted & developed their dmen better, while not having unfortunate injuries like Maata's, they could have an excellent defense right now. With the kind of expendable pieces needed to pounce on a Drouin when he became available.

If, instead, we look at the Blues; we'll see that this strategy has left them in a great position to bolster their forward core by moving one of those gifted young dmen that are spewing forth from their pipeline.

Last edited:

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
The fact that you are arguing for Lindholm, Pajpach and Pepin should say it all. Lindholm only has until this year I believe because he was older when he was drafted. Magyar is a no, the rest are late round picks and long shots to get signed at best. If I had to bet I'd lean no on Pepin getting signed too.

I agree neither side should eat crow. He's a good player, he's doing what he was brought here to do. I think he's a bit of a streaky player but when Boedker is on he's real good. We'll see what this all means for the future.

I just don't like it when people say we gave up nothing. Doesn't mean y'all can't like the trade or think it was worthwhile but it wasn't nothing.

Right now he's the best Avs' forward and it's not close. The deal was good and pure brillance if they re-sign him. I think you're blinding yourself because you want to dislike the trade.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Right now he's the best Avs' forward and it's not close. The deal was good and pure brillance if they re-sign him. I think you're blinding yourself because you want to dislike the trade.

gabriel_landeskog_colorado.jpg

Boedker's been good even with his short comings, no need for the hyperbole.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

It doesn't matter how good he is. Unless we win something big, or re-sign him, then it's like we tossed away Wood and a 2nd for nothing. And I guarantee the majority of those praising the deal now will be complaining about it later if that were to happen.

PS, I want to love the trade. But when it happened I said the same thing. If he helps get us a banner Im fine with paying that much for a rental. Or if he re-signs then it's a good deal. But if we have nothing to show for the deal then that is not good. We are not blinded. We are just thinking past this year.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Boedker has never really had a skilled speedy center to play on a line with before. If you couldn't have the insight to realize he was going to flourish here that's kind of embarrassing. Shouldn't be a surprise. He's a very good skater that works hard and has decent hands and shot. Let's just hope he wants to stay here and keep playing with fast skilled centers

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

You really think that's how I am, huh? That I'm that stupid? I said that because Boedker is KNOWN to be streaky and said by those that have followed his career. Streaky is not an insult, streaky basically describes damn near all our players. He's been our best forward in a few games, not all of them.

The end shouldn't justify the means. Opinions can change with more information but it shouldn't change how the trade was viewed at the time. I believe this team isn't ready for rentals, period. I don't care if we got Stamkos in as a rental that doesn't change my opinion on how the organization views this team and thier philosophies, it's a much bigger picture thing. I get that we have 9 games left and most people want to live in the here and now with this, we have a good player on our roster and to just enjoy it and see what happens. But make no mistake I'm not looking for reasons to hate Boedker and to be proven "right". Like I don't want this team to win, I hope they do just like everyone else. I just believed in something that I feel isn't true now, something that defines my place and role in this fandom, that's going to take a while to get over.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Boedker is, and always will be if he re-signs, a complementary piece on our offense, not the best guy on the team. He's very good and is fitting in exactly as well as I expected, but he should never be a core part of the team, he's just not that type or caliber of player. I think his struggles in AZ were due to the fact that he was being counted on to provide big offense, and he just isn't the kind of clutch guy who can do that for a team.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
You really think that's how I am, huh? That I'm that stupid? I said that because Boedker is KNOWN to be streaky and said by those that have followed his career. Streaky is not an insult, streaky basically describes damn near all our players. He's been our best forward in a few games, not all of them.

The end shouldn't justify the means. Opinions can change with more information but it shouldn't change how the trade was viewed at the time. I believe this team isn't ready for rentals, period. I don't care if we got Stamkos in as a rental that doesn't change my opinion on how the organization views this team and thier philosophies, it's a much bigger picture thing. I get that we have 9 games left and most people want to live in the here and now with this, we have a good player on our roster and to just enjoy it and see what happens. But make no mistake I'm not looking for reasons to hate Boedker and to be proven "right". Like I don't want this team to win, I hope they do just like everyone else. I just believed in something that I feel isn't true now, something that defines my place and role in this fandom, that's going to take a while to get over.

I don't believe Boedker is a traditional rental. Yes, Sakic came out and said he's a rental, but that would imply we wouldn't resign him which is still a possibility. At some point, you have to try to get your team over the hump. It was clear that with our pre-deadline team, we most likely weren't going to make the playoffs. Trading for Boedker does quite a few things:

1. Helps the playoff push (obviously)
2a. Gives the Avs a tryout period instead of throwing your chips blindly during FA
2b. Gives the Avs a headstart on negotiations, as well as making Boedker feel more comfortable in Denver
3. Shows the players that we want to start winning

Not everything happens naturally. They tried that route by surrounding our core with vets and letting them develop to push us over the hump. It still hasn't happened. I'd much rather give up a few secondary assets (albeit somewhat valuable) and push them over that hump, then sit and twiddle our thumbs hoping things work out.

Honestly, if we could use Wood, Tangs, and Bleaks for either Boedker or Stamkos, i'd still choose Boedker due to his potential of fitting in with our core. Stamkos would be 100% a rental.

Last edited:

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Boedker has never really had a skilled speedy center to play on a line with before. If you couldn't have the insight to realize he was going to flourish here that's kind of embarrassing. Shouldn't be a surprise. He's a very good skater that works hard and has decent hands and shot. Let's just hope he wants to stay here and keep playing with fast skilled centers

There are stat watchers, there are game watchers and there are (but very few) both. Anybody who watched Boedker play a lot knew he would fit in well. The few that pay attention to stats and watch him play a lot argued how his advanced stats didn't tell the proper picture but the pure stat watchers didn't want to hear it.

I should mention there were also a lot of people who simply didn't want to give up prospects for a rental but that's a different story. Those people didn't try to bash everything about Boedker. They were simply upset that we gave up on some young prospects and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
There are stat watchers, there are game watchers and there are (but very few) both. Anybody who watched Boedker play a lot knew he would fit in well. The few that pay attention to stats and watch him play a lot argued how his advanced stats didn't tell the proper picture but the pure stat watchers didn't want to hear it.

I should mention there were also a lot of people who simply didn't want to give up prospects for a rental but that's a different story. Those people didn't try to bash everything about Boedker. They were simply upset that we gave up on some young prospects and there's nothing wrong with that at all.

....and then there's Robin :sarcasm:

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I think he's a good fit, provides some nice offense, and is more well-rounded than he is given credit for, but there are still holes to his game. He doesn't offer much on the other side of the puck, and he's just not one of those guys that makes himself visible and contributes value on every shift.

I look at it this way; Soda is at $4.75m AAV. Boeds is a better offensive player, no doubt, but Soda provides much more of a two-way game and is the more important player, in my honest opinion. Am I comfortable paying Boeds more than Soda? Not really, especially with the required extensions to Barrie and MacK.

I'd like to sign him for $4.5-$5m AAV, but not a penny more than that.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I think he's a good fit, provides some nice offense, and is more well-rounded than he is given credit for, but there are still holes to his game. He doesn't offer much on the other side of the puck, and he's just not one of those guys that makes himself visible and contributes value on every shift.

I look at it this way; Soda is at $4.75m AAV. Boeds is a better offensive player, no doubt, but Soda provides much more of a two-way game and is the more important player, in my honest opinion. Am I comfortable paying Boeds more than Soda? Not really, especially with the required extensions to Barrie and MacK.

You didn't say anywhere in your post that it's conditional on Radulov signing which I'm disappointed in!

Rads should be priority number one if it's a possibility. If it isn't we should look to Boekder IMO

Stories

Science!
Sep 10, 2006
Los Angeles, CA

Agreed. A similar contract would be okay in my book. But my gut tells me he'll take way more money than that. Hopefully, he likes it here enough and getting out of Tippett's system would be enough that the'd take a contract like that.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I say it all depends on the cap situation. If Rads isn't coming over and if the Avs have over $5m in cap room, I'd say sign Boedker for whatever it takes within the cap. If there is an extra 250k in room, I wouldn't squabble between 5 and 5.25. It isn't ideal, but it would be better than losing him without a replacement. That is assuming the Avs have the room though, which has yet to really be determined.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad