Confirmed with Link: [COL/ARI] Mikkel Boedker for Alex Tanguay, Conner Bleackley, and Kyle Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I say it all depends on the cap situation. If Rads isn't coming over and if the Avs have over $5m in cap room, I'd say sign Boedker for whatever it takes within the cap. If there is an extra 250k in room, I wouldn't squabble between 5 and 5.25. It isn't ideal, but it would be better than losing him without a replacement. That is assuming the Avs have the room though, which has yet to really be determined.

This is exactly where I'm at. If we have the room and there's no Radulov possibility I'd be ok with them going to 5.5 honestly if they absolutely have to.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
This is exactly where I'm at. If we have the room and there's no Radulov possibility I'd be ok with them going to 5.5 honestly if they absolutely have to.
Why, though? That seems like desperation and something we'll regret down the line. Boedker is not a 5.5M player. Just because we might have the cap space to do it doesn't mean we should.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why, though? That seems like desperation and something we'll regret down the line. Boedker is not a 5.5M player. Just because we might have the cap space to do it doesn't mean we should.

Why not is just as good of a question. After this summer the core is locked up. The next big contract increase is Rantanen or Bigras and it is completely in the air how much those might be (remember Iggy's deal comes off soon too). If the Avs re-sign Boedker and can fit it under the cap next year, then they will be in the clear for cap issues for at least a few years.

Then when looking at the cap, Vegas just provide a bit of growth in the cap themselves. Combine that with a bit sunnier outlook on the Loonie and we should be able to expect some growth in the cap over the next few years.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006

Because spending an extra 250k-500k to get a top 6 winger next year is a smarter move than hoping you get a top 6 winger somewhere in that price range a few years later in my opinion. Especially with the cap potentially rising down the road and players making more coin.

If we don't sign Boedker/Radulov we have a gap that doesn't even look to be potentially filled internally in the future. We'll still have a gap on D but at least we have the prospects to hopefully fill it eventually.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
You didn't say anywhere in your post that it's conditional on Radulov signing which I'm disappointed in!

Rads should be priority number one if it's a possibility. If it isn't we should look to Boekder IMO

If Radulov is interested, there's no reason why a contract couldn't be worked out well before July 1st. If we're able to successfully do that, then I wouldn't even call Boeds' agent. I'm completely on the Rads train, fret not my dear little turtle.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO

The problem here is how many players ARE worth the contracts that they're signing as free agents? The fact of the matter is that in this league now if you want to pick up a guy as a free agent or re-sign someone with an expiring contract, you are overpaying most of the time. It's easier when you can extend your homegrown talent, but otherwise you're almost forced to choose between overpaying for a pretty good talent, or paying less but getting a significantly lower quality player most of the time.

I don't really know where I stand on the re-sign Boeds situation, but if Radulov isn't coming here (and I've always been very doubtful he will) I would almost certainly rather overpay for a guy like Boedker than end up playing another season with mediocre to crappy wingers in our top 6.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Would rather just stick with Boedker over Radulov if the price is right.

Same.

I wont argue that Radulov is the better player or not(He pretty easily is) but I'd much rather sign Boedker in June and go into the summer basically knowing who our Top 6 forwards next year will be.

Rather then going into the summer hoping to land Radulov but potentially ending up with nobody after it's all said and done.

Iggy - Dutchy - Greg
Comeau - Mack - Boedker
Landy - Soderberg - Matthias(Or Rantanen)

That's a pretty solid Top 9 filled with good scoring threats on all 3 lines. I'd like to keep Matthias around as well, but at this point I dont think it happens. Unless he's willing to play a 4th line role and I dont think he'd go for that.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Obviously a top 6 winger is needed, but I don't think Boedker is a 5.5M player, and I don't think he ever will be. I don't even think I'd want to get to 5M. I understand you have to overpay in free agency to get players, but I just feel like in 2-3 years we'd be regretting that deal big time.

ArWKo

Jul 2, 2009
CO
I'd be more worried about a 5x5.5 type deal for Boedker if he were any older, but I think at 26 it's a reasonable risk. Certainly it could be regrettable in a few years, but I don't think it would be "Kesler regrettable" by any means.

Of course all this is on the presumption that he would sign a deal at that money. If he's looking for over that I think you tell him not to let the door hit him on the way out.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Obviously a top 6 winger is needed, but I don't think Boedker is a 5.5M player, and I don't think he ever will be. I don't even think I'd want to get to 5M. I understand you have to overpay in free agency to get players, but I just feel like in 2-3 years we'd be regretting that deal big time.

I honestly don't see how in that time frame. The combination of cap growth and the core being locked up pretty much means that the Avs won't be needing the space in 2-3 years... I could see in 5 years, but that is probably the end of the deal anyway.

A Boedker deal at $5.5m per is about $1m overpaid. When the cap is touching $80m, that just isn't a big deal.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

Boedker's age is one of the most attractive aspects of signing him. Radulov will be 30 next year whereas Boedker won't even be 27 until part way into the season. An extra 3 years of prime play with this core would be quite valuable, even at the cost of a 5x5 contract.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I honestly don't see how in that time frame. The combination of cap growth and the core being locked up pretty much means that the Avs won't be needing the space in 2-3 years... I could see in 5 years, but that is probably the end of the deal anyway.

A Boedker deal at $5.5m per is about $1m overpaid. When the cap is touching $80m, that just isn't a big deal.
And how do we know the Avs would even want to go up to 80M or anywhere close to that in their budget? I understand that ownership has told Sakic and Roy that they'll give them whatever they need, but the cap has never been that high, and I think it's way too early to assume they'd be willing to go that high.

I certainly hope they don't overpay Boedker by 1M, and then haggle Tyson Barrie over a similar amount, because one is significantly more important to our success.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Boedker's age is one of the most attractive aspects of signing him.

Agreed. There are not too many 26 yo top 6 wingers that hit the UFA market. Youth and speed fit the team the best and Boedker is exactly that. In fact, he'd now be part of the core.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And how do we know the Avs would even want to go up to 80M or anywhere close to that in their budget? I understand that ownership has told Sakic and Roy that they'll give them whatever they need, but the cap has never been that high, and I think it's way too early to assume they'd be willing to go that high.

I certainly hope they don't overpay Boedker by 1M, and then haggle Tyson Barrie over a similar amount, because one is significantly more important to our success.

We don't, but there is just as much evidence that they would spend up to the cap as there isn't. If the cap is that high, and with the core locked up... I think the payroll would actually be closer to $73-74 million most years, even if the cap was $80m.

I don't disagree there. That is why I say, if there is cap room. MacK and Barrie are the priorities. Know where they stand and where the fit along with the cap and if there is room to sign Boedker, use it.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
If the cap goes to 80 million Boedker at 5.5m would not be considered 1m overpaid anyway.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It seems like some folks are forgetting that we can start working on a contract with Rads as soon as the KHL season ends. We can know whether he's coming or not long before the NHL's FA period opens and a final decision on Boedker needs to be made.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
It seems like some folks are forgetting that we can start working on a contract with Rads as soon as the KHL season ends. We can know whether he's coming or not long before the NHL's FA period opens and a final decision on Boedker needs to be made.

Do you think this team can contend within the next couple of years? Because that's how many years of prime we've left from Radulov.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014

Thanks. I was just about to ask if NHL teams even had to wait until July 1st to sign him.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Boedker to me fits exactly on the level of Soda in terms of being a key, although maybe not "core" contributor to the team.

Soda got 5 x $4.75 which some thought was an overpay at the time but looks pretty solid with how he has been able to contribute.

Mikkel is going to be 3+ years younger than Soda was last off-season (he's 4 years, 2 months younger overall). That's going to add a significant premium. Add in escalating contracts summer after summer and I'd say $5.5 x 5 is the minimum you are looking at if he absolutely loves it here and wants to stay. Eating up prime sub-30 years costs more.

Of the quality wingers on the market this summer - none of them (Okposo, Lucic, Ladd, Eriksson, Radulov) are going to come cheap in terms of contract. Obviously Okposo types are way outside our rang...and given his season, I'd say Loui will be too even though he'd be a brilliant fit...and I'd much more trust giving a long term deal to 26 year-old Boedker than older guys whose physical style could lead to complete breakdowns in the near future (Lucic, Ladd types). Radulov, as has been discussed here for over a year now, is the real wildcard.

Take care of Barrie and Nate first obviously but keeping Boedker as well would be a real, real nice feather in the cap for this off-season.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I think he's a good fit, provides some nice offense, and is more well-rounded than he is given credit for, but there are still holes to his game. He doesn't offer much on the other side of the puck, and he's just not one of those guys that makes himself visible and contributes value on every shift.

I look at it this way; Soda is at $4.75m AAV. Boeds is a better offensive player, no doubt, but Soda provides much more of a two-way game and is the more important player, in my honest opinion. Am I comfortable paying Boeds more than Soda? Not really, especially with the required extensions to Barrie and MacK.

I'd like to sign him for $4.5-$5m AAV, but not a penny more than that.

I don't know about that. I've seen him make 3 or 4 pretty solid defensive plays that were impressed and even took me a bit by surprise. I think he's got a better 2-way game that people give him credit for at least that's what it seems like in his games with the Avs so far.

I do believe that you're right on the money with the Soderberg contract comparison and that's probably what the Avs are looking at paying him after the season is over.

The fit on this team is incredible, imo. Both he and Matthias are really great fits on the club...congrats to the pro scouts, they really did their homework. Hopefully, we can re-up both guys.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Boedker is good defensively. He's better than every forward outside of Landy, Soda, Duchene and maybe Grigorenko. I think he's better defensively than Matthias but it's close.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Add in escalating contracts summer after summer and I'd say $5.5 x 5 is the minimum you are looking at if he absolutely loves it here and wants to stay. Eating up prime sub-30 years costs more.

The market has turned down on free agents lately, we paid Soda top money before free agency to avoid losing him. But Boedker may very well not want to risk going into the market against Stamkos, Staal, Okposo, Lucic, Backes, Ladd, Eriksson, Hudler, etc... It's a gamble for him since there's only so much cap space available on the teams that will spend to it.

I think if he gets 5.5x5 it would be a coup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->