Confirmed with Link: COL acquire G Michael Hutchinson from TOR for D Calle Rosen

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Man, the Leafs board has more salt about this trade right now than a 50 pack of Top Ramen.

Barrie (1 year rental)
Kerfoot
6th

for

Kadri ---- 16 points in 14 playoff games, including 5 GWG's.
Hutchinson (via Rosén) --- 1.86 GAA, .938 sv%, and 2-0-0 in 2 elimination games... which is 2 more wins in elimination games than Andersen in 8 years lol)
3rd

If we win Game 7 with Hutchinson in goal that net trade is going to look even better - and it was already looking phenomenally good for us before the playoffs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs skaters were playing as if any shot could be dangerous, so they did a great job preventing good scoring chances.

I'm not going to whinge about a 4-1 win where he faced 28 shots on goal but he doesn't inspire all that much confidence. I guess that's why he's not really a NHL goalie these days.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think it is time for people to stop complaining about losing the asset Rosen on this deal. This win brought more to the Avs in one game than Rosen brought the whole season and was likely to bring.

With two playoff wins, this is even more the case. To me Hutch has looked shaky, but the team has really stepped up around him. That shot that went through his 5 hole, hit the side of the net, and then the Stars player almost put the puck in was a cruel reminder of who Hutch is... but right now, going into game 7, I'm thrilled Hutch has done this well.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I always felt like Rosen was just a very good AHL defenseman, and not much more than that, so I really didn't care much when he was dealt. If I had any trepidation on the deal it was more because I thought Hutchinson was a trainwreck of a goalie. I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised thus far that he snagged the team two playoff wins when they needed it the most.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, as far as I'm concerned this is hockey-god luck, and nothing more. But if that holds, then great!

Every team needs some of that in order to win in the playoffs, and for the most part, the Hockey Gods have been cruel sons of bitches to the Avs. Glad they finally threw 'em a bone.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
giphy.gif
Who knew.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
With two playoff wins, this is even more the case. To me Hutch has looked shaky, but the team has really stepped up around him. That shot that went through his 5 hole, hit the side of the net, and then the Stars player almost put the puck in was a cruel reminder of who Hutch is... but right now, going into game 7, I'm thrilled Hutch has done this well.

I hope we come out and support him again to win game 7 and then when he falters against the Knights, we go back to a "healthy" and more confident Frankie (who IMO can still carry us).

LakewoodAvsFan

Oct 16, 2019
Lakewood, CO
Any NHL or dare I say AHL goalie can hit a hot streak.

Hutch has been vulnerable but the team has played a better team game since Hutch has played..... for whatever reason. The nine straight minutes of play in the third period of G6 was a thing of beauty.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Any NHL or dare I say AHL goalie can hit a hot streak.

Hutch has been vulnerable but the team has played a better team game since Hutch has played..... for whatever reason. The nine straight minutes of play in the third period of G6 was a thing of beauty.
That 3rd period was a masterclass in playoff hockey with a lead. Give Bednar a lot of credit.

We basically employed the 1-4 trap to stifle Dallas' transition game, a tactic that meant that we always had proximity between back-checkers and our defensemen to squeeze their forwards and recover the puck in around our blueline.

Keeping the game flowing by dropping it deep in their end and forcing them to go 200 feet ate the clock up while minimising DZ faceoffs which was clearly an issue in the first 2 periods as the source of most of Dallas' offense.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That 3rd period was a masterclass in playoff hockey with a lead. Give Bednar a lot of credit.

We basically employed the 1-4 trap to stifle Dallas' transition game, a tactic that meant that we always had proximity between back-checkers and our defensemen to squeeze their forwards and recover the puck in around our blueline.

Keeping the game flowing by dropping it deep in their end and forcing them to go 200 feet ate the clock up while minimising DZ faceoffs which was clearly an issue in the first 2 periods as the source of most of Dallas' offense.

Yeah, I thought they played that well. Conservative without going full Prevent Defense. It used to be in the Nemeth-as-Closer days that they'd just collapse around the goalie and hang on for dear life, but now they're retrieving the puck and controlling it in their zone a lot better.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah he was not bad in the two games we won but I'm not interested in having him back. In those three games he played there were so many times that he made the save and he lost track of where the rebound went. A couple of times today he was even entirely looking in the opposite direction to find the rebound. He is so bad at tracking the puck. We can find somebody better as a #3.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
5 goals on 35 shots is not acceptable. That being said Hutch is in no way to blame here.

He was damn solid in game 5 and 6. He did about as good as you could expect for a 3rd string goalie in the playoffs.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah, the goals today were deflections and screens for the most part, hard to pin those on Hutch. The shots he saw he actually made some pretty good saves on, including the diving Pavelski save at the end of the 2nd.

The team seemed to focus way too much on clogging up the slot and allowing point shots, assuming they would be blocked by all the bodies in front. It just gave the Stars a ton of spins at the wheel to get lucky bounces and deflections, and eventually they went in.

That said, I dunno if I want him back either. I don't think he suddenly saw the light, he just got hot at a very opportune moment. I still take Frankie and Grubauer over him easily as a tandem, I'm sure he'll find a #2 spot after this somewhere in free agency and do fine for himself.

Reactions: forsbergavs32

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Yeah, the goals today were deflections and screens for the most part, hard to pin those on Hutch. The shots he saw he actually made some pretty good saves on, including the diving Pavelski save at the end of the 2nd.

The team seemed to focus way too much on clogging up the slot and allowing point shots, assuming they would be blocked by all the bodies in front. It just gave the Stars a ton of spins at the wheel to get lucky bounces and deflections, and eventually they went in.

That said, I dunno if I want him back either. I don't think he suddenly saw the light, he just got hot at a very opportune moment. I still take Frankie and Grubauer over him easily as a tandem, I'm sure he'll find a #2 spot after this somewhere in free agency and do fine for himself.

If he doesn’t find a home I’d be fine keeping him as a 3rd goalie for another year

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
If he doesn’t find a home I’d be fine keeping him as a 3rd goalie for another year
He would be an upgrade on Werner/Miska for sure. I just would be surprised if he didn't test UFA to see if he could get an offer as an NHL backup, and doubly surprised if he didn't get one. I think he played well enough to show that his stint in Toronto was a fluke, and teams are always sniffing around for competent backups.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad