Confirmed with Link: COL acquire G Michael Hutchinson from TOR for D Calle Rosen

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I'm not so sure about that. I think he's a very good AHL defenseman but I think that's about it. He's fringe NHL material at best. He didn't even have a particularly good run for the Eagles, but I'll admit I don't know if Cronin limited his ice time/role or not. I wouldn't think he did given the injuries to guys like Connauton and Timmins throughout the season. His stint in the NHL wasn't terribly impressive IMO, but it was a pretty brief stint.
Ya, but I could probably name 20 NHL defenseman regular who are on bad teams that I'd rank below Rosén.

Reactions: flyfysher

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Ya, but I could probably name 20 NHL defenseman regular who are on bad teams that I'd rank below Rosén.

giphy.gif

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012
Outstanding performance tonight. Hope he's proud of that performance. Looked extremely sharp !
This team is completely stacked !

Reactions: Pokecheque

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I think it is time for people to stop complaining about losing the asset Rosen on this deal. This win brought more to the Avs in one game than Rosen brought the whole season and was likely to bring.
And it gave Frankie a much needed rest. We need him to be good until Grubauer gets back. Even if this is the only game Hutch plays and Grubauer comes back before we need him again, that was worth it.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it is time for people to stop complaining about losing the asset Rosen on this deal. This win brought more to the Avs in one game than Rosen brought the whole season and was likely to bring.

Yeah, I don't see an NHL mainstay in Rosen, and frankly his impact in Loveland wasn't that great either. Dubas clearly wanted Rosen back to help out the Marlies, where he's a MUCH better fit, and the Avs needed a #3 goalie who wasn't a rookie with 2 games NHL experience, or a career minor league guy with none.

This trade worked out for both teams, and it really didn't involve players anyone here is even going to remember a couple years from now.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Hutch wasn't particularly good, but he didn't need to be and he got the win. That's all you can ask for. The goal he let in wasn't good, but he did save a breakaway and was solid for the rest of the game.

Still hoping Grubs gets back ASAP obviously...

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Hutch wasn't particularly good, but he didn't need to be and he got the win. That's all you can ask for. The goal he let in wasn't good, but he did save a breakaway and was solid for the rest of the game.

Exactly. He was adequate, let in a somewhat bad goal (though I'd argue Frankie gives up rebounds like that all the damned time, it just so happened that Hutch bounced that one right to Mantha) but made the saves he had to make. It helps that he was up against the worst team in the league and the Avs for the most part shut them down.

It's all good. Well, apart from all these f***ing injuries of course...

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

I thought he looked very shaky (and got lucky) and I'd be OK if he doesn't play in another Avs game ever again. The Avs protected him like I've never seen them protect a goalie and it was against one of the worst team in history.

Seems like a good dude though and I wish him well, but not with us.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Congrats on the win, but I was sweating anytime they came in our zone.

Hutchinson simply has horrendous fundamentals; things like rebound control, angles, scrambling ability, vision to track the puck... it’s all so damn shaky.

He has a nice butterfly and seems to be quick laterally, but there’s zero composure under pressure. It was frustrating watching him legit confused where almost any rebound went. That’s alarmingly bad basics.

I’m glad we won, but it’s almost a double-edged sword as he likely “earned himself” another start to spot Frankie some rest. Yikes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I’ll always have a soft spot for Hutch for nearly single handedly winning us a Calder Cup in 2014.

God Damn Patrick Nemeth with the cup winning goal in OT.

Was this back when Jets fans were still telling us how between Hutch & Helle they had two goalie prospects that would be better than peak-Varly? :laugh:

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I mean a few years ago he would have been our number two defenseman almost. It was a bad fit for him in 19/20. No way he was gonna take a spot in our D core now. At best he was number 7. He can easily be an NHL regular on a different team.

Oh come on. Things were dire, but they were never that dire. Both EJ & Barrie were always better than Rosen, ditto Hejda when he was here & (Ryan) Wilson when he was alive...and quite frankly the same is true for that PWF that we all loved to joke about, Nick Holden.

Rosen is another Cumiskey or Hunnybunny (Hunwick) at best; someone who could carve out a bottom pairing gig on a real blueline and might've once been able to slip into our top 4 if he had had chemistry with EJ, at best...but this isn't some clearcut NHLer that we just misused. There's a reason he couldn't become an NHL regular in Toronto, either.

Sure, he may be a better player than Nate Guenin was, but Nate Guenin had an NHL career for one reason & one reason alone...Patrick Roy hated Tyson Barrie with such an undying fury that he could think of no better way to get back at him for not being a half foot taller than by saddling tboobs with the General...:sarcasm:

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Congrats on the win, but I was sweating anytime they came in our zone.

Hutchinson simply has horrendous fundamentals; things like rebound control, angles, scrambling ability, vision to track the puck... it’s all so damn shaky.

He has a nice butterfly and seems to be quick laterally, but there’s zero composure under pressure. It was frustrating watching him legit confused where almost any rebound went. That’s alarmingly bad basics.

I’m glad we won, but it’s almost a double-edged sword as he likely “earned himself” another start to spot Frankie some rest. Yikes.

I hear what you're saying, but I expect to lose any game where we need to turn to our #3. So even if he did "earn himself another start" where he gets pummeled, that'll just be the two points that we should've already been counting as lost....kinda making that extra rest for Frankie pre-paid for, thanks to this win.

Put another way: There are points on our remaining schedule that we can afford to drop and that we will inevitably drop. So if we can turn those lost points into some extra rest for the one good goalie that we have healthy, that's a win in my book.

Last edited:

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Hutchinson didn't give me a whole lot of confidence. He looked jittery and flopped around a lot, and clearly benefited from the quality of the opponent. If Grubauer is due back mid-month, Hutchinson might play one more game, one of the back to backs with San Jose or LA. Even though both teams have been bad this season, neither of those will be easy road games and would be worried about Hutchinson playing either of those. Depending on how the next couple of games plays out and how the division race is going, I could also see them riding Francouz until Grubauer is back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad