Confirmed with Link: COL acquire G Michael Hutchinson from TOR for D Calle Rosen

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Going with hutch was a bad idea. Should have given the net back to francouz.
Never mind the logic behind this (Francouz was appalling, Hutch had won two straight), Francouz is injured. He wasn’t even the backup.

Reactions: S E P H

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Yeah, the goals today were deflections and screens for the most part, hard to pin those on Hutch. The shots he saw he actually made some pretty good saves on, including the diving Pavelski save at the end of the 2nd.

The team seemed to focus way too much on clogging up the slot and allowing point shots, assuming they would be blocked by all the bodies in front. It just gave the Stars a ton of spins at the wheel to get lucky bounces and deflections, and eventually they went in.

That said, I dunno if I want him back either. I don't think he suddenly saw the light, he just got hot at a very opportune moment. I still take Frankie and Grubauer over him easily as a tandem, I'm sure he'll find a #2 spot after this somewhere in free agency and do fine for himself.
Oh don't get me wrong...I'm not blaming Hutch for this lost. I just don't trust him in net. He is horrible at tracking the puck. He is losing site of the puck way too often after it hits him. And he scares the crap out of me when he tries to glove the puck like it is a basenall.

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
Man, the Leafs board has more salt about this trade right now than a 50 pack of Top Ramen.
Because they don’t want to admit that Hutch was never the problem, it was the tire-fire of a defence that never showed up on the 2nd of a back to back...sometimes my fellow leafs fans embarrass me

nice run you guys had, was pulling for ya in game 7

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Hutch didn't play as well as an NHL starter needs to in the playoffs, but he's not an NHL starter. He played above my expectations for him, so that's all I can ask for personally.

Super easy guy to root for. Hope he can find some AHL stability and stay with the Eagles. He deserves it.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A cautionary tale...don't blow up your whole damned team after a stellar run to the Stanley Cup Final just because you didn't like the rotation of goalies.
That was Snider and his health issues though, even if I agree that the moves were too heavy for my liking. I personally deem it okay for risking the chance of blowing it up to try and win a Cup before he passes away.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
That was Snider and his health issues though, even if I agree that the moves were too heavy for my liking. I personally deem it okay for risking the chance of blowing it up to try and win a Cup before he passes away.

You blow up your roster for the chance to get a generational talent in goal maybe, like a Brodeur or Roy, but you don't do that for Ilya Bryzgalov. The Flyers were insanely stacked back then, all they needed to do was find a way to shore up the defense and goaltending a little. Instead they created more holes in their roster and ended up with nothing to show for it.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Yeah, I don't see an NHL mainstay in Rosen, and frankly his impact in Loveland wasn't that great either. Dubas clearly wanted Rosen back to help out the Marlies, where he's a MUCH better fit, and the Avs needed a #3 goalie who wasn't a rookie with 2 games NHL experience, or a career minor league guy with none.

This trade worked out for both teams, and it really didn't involve players anyone here is even going to remember a couple years from now.

For once, one of my takes aged well.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I thought he vastly exceeded expectations overall.

He was close to perfect in Games 5 and 6. Just the one real softie allowed to Heiskanen in Game 6 the rest were just good goals really.

Game 7 was.... I dunno if I'd call it rough per se, a lot of the goals were tipped shots, PPGs, or awful defensive work in front on him. But 5 goals on 36 odd shots or so is never a great performance. Had he been able to make just 1 or 2 of the difficult tip saves, or even made the stellar 2nd chance save on the 4th goal, we're into the WCF. And ultimately just like Francouz he couldn't make that big, big save when we truly needed it.

But for the #3 goalie, he played as good as you can ask of him.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Another thing. If Grubauer is out for an appreciable amount of time/ Francouz traded/whatever on a two year deal what would it take to make Hutch meet the requirement for Expansion draft exposure?

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
The team in front of hutch really hung him out to dry game 7. Just rewatch the last couple minutes of the 2nd and 3rd periods. One sequence they are saved by the buzzer, the next hutch makes an an incredible glove save at the buzzer. If the team supported him in game 7 the way they did in game 5 the avs advance.

Reactions: MarkT and Foppa2118

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad