Waived: Cody McCormick (Cleared, assigned to Rochester)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Man, this is ugly.

It's quite comical that Ruff says we "need to look at everything"...and the next day....they waive McCormick??? REALLY???

Fed up beyond description. I'm at a loss, really.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's odd that a team that is miserly in holding onto assets due to their own suspisions regarding waivers (see Brennan, Gragnani) does this. Maybe he gets picked up, but that salary might steer teams clear of him. He hasn't been the same since last season's concussion up until the last week/10 days and I'm sure enough scouts will have enough doubt to make it a hard choice.

That said, this seeming lack of direction and purpose may be masking a draft-pick-for-player deal upcoming. Shocking, given Darcy's inability to make anything happen without being within sight of the trade deadline, but it's possible.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I cringe at the thought of them saying "we're only 5 points out of a playoff spot, nobody panic"

it's coming

You're 100% right about that.

On the other hand, it is technically true (not accounting for games played). And, as we've seen in the past, they do have the ability to suddenly decide to play with passion and beat anyone. The "mystery" is why they dig themselves into these hopeless holes where they look like they couldn't beat a midget team. (I already know the answer, so don't bother) This is just a crazy frustrating team.

Takeo

Jul 9, 2003
Visit site
At this point, people are just searching for things to cry about. They waived a fourth line player to open a roster spot. And this thread is cruising into its eighth page!!

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
You're 100% right about that.

On the other hand, it is technically true (not accounting for games played). And, as we've seen in the past, they do have the ability to suddenly decide to play with passion and beat anyone. The "mystery" is why they dig themselves into these hopeless holes where they look like they couldn't beat a midget team. (I already know the answer, so don't bother) This is just a crazy frustrating team.

I just don't want that surge to happen, where we climb to 9th or even 8th to get ousted in the first round. Get the coach out, get a new system in place, groom the youth, and be patient.

DO NOT trade youth for immediate help for THIS TEAM RIGHT NOW

DO NOT give up picks for older roster players

DO NOT work the phones in an effort to trade kids from Rochester

etc.

Show some knowledge of the situation. It's painfully obvious that we need a new coach

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I just don't want that surge to happen, where we climb to 9th or even 8th to get ousted in the first round. Get the coach out, get a new system in place, groom the youth, and be patient.

etc.

Show some knowledge of the situation. It's painfully obvious that we need a new coach

Agree 98%. I'd trade Luke for a solid vet

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Maybe saying that Marcus is a 4th liner is a bit harsh though he would be great with Kaleta. I am just shocked that adam hasn't continued to grow. The player that I want to see on the roster is tropp

Out for the year with a knee injury. Hopefully he recovers and is playing for a coach up here next year that won't cause him to mysteriously lose all intensity/effort (a la foligno)
I'd try to package some combo of gerbe/adam/brennan and see what you can get back from that

skibum

Jan 23, 2011
1) I hope this move is to make room for something, ANYTHING, to spice up this roster.

2) Cody might clear waivers anyway, making this whole discussion moot.

3) If he does get picked up by another team, at least he ended his Sabres career with a really good fight vs. Glass.**

Good luck to #8; he always played hard and dropped the gloves without hesitation.

** Come to think of it, I wonder if maybe he got his bell rung again in that fight? A player like Cody isn't worth much if he has concussion issues...

zbubble

Jul 29, 2005
Regardless of McCormick's effort, I can't think of one game in his entire Sabres career where we got a win directly because of how he played in the game. We don't get wins because of him, we lose with him anyway, he's 0 0 0 with a -2 on the season. I like guys with effort too, but I'd like them to be able to make a difference somehow. For 0 effect you get 8 pages of ranting.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005

etc.

On the flip side, hoarding mediocre AHL talent hasn't done much for this team either over the past 6 years.

slip

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 19, 2005
Regardless of McCormick's effort, I can't think of one game in his entire Sabres career where we got a win directly because of how he played in the game. We don't get wins because of him, we lose with him anyway, he's 0 0 0 with a -2 on the season. I like guys with effort too, but I'd like them to be able to make a difference somehow. For 0 effect you get 8 pages of ranting.

While I agree that the negative sentiment is causing us to exaggerate the effects of Cody being waived, this post is pushing the other extreme. Let's agree at least that the truth lies somewhere in between. Effort and toughness are important to any team's success.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
On the flip side, hoarding mediocre AHL talent hasn't done much for this team either over the past 6 years.

I don't think that's the case now, nor has it ever been.

I'm referring to a future of Vanek, Poms, POSSIBLY Stafford (who I HATE) and Ott as the vets... Grigs, Girgensons, Hodgson, Armia, Cat, McNabb, Pysyk, Foligno, Ennis, McCabe, and hell, even Makarov to a degree, as the youth.

If we get a top-5 pick THIS YEAR, you're adding yet another body into that mix, and he'd likely be ready sooner than a lot of the listed guys.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013

Well, keeping talent in Rochester is just as much a business decision as anything else. If Rochester wins, at least a portion of the fan base is relatively happy... Including me. But, it's still just masking a poorly put together NHL level club.

RattleYourSabre

Jan 12, 2013
if i had a final straw... this would be it.

I'm confused as to what Ruff even means... Too much of what exactly? Lack of production, sure. If a fourth liner who has been scratched/hurt is expected to have a ton of production, I guess.

Too much heart and fire?

I don't get it at all.

RazielMoshman

Jul 10, 2012
UK
Won't miss him. Guy adds nothing. Better of with Porter, Scott, Ellis, Gerbe and Hecht rotating the 4th line.

allsilverdreams

Jan 17, 2011
Out for the year with a knee injury. Hopefully he recovers and is playing for a coach up here next year that won't cause him to mysteriously lose all intensity/effort (a la foligno)
I'd try to package some combo of gerbe/adam/brennan and see what you can get back from that

gerbe/adam/brennan
for
a bag of pucks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad