Cody Franson

Tyler Biggs*

Did anyone notice that Cody Franson has 9 points in 12 games!!?! All assists, but that is crazy! He could finish with between 50-60 points if he keeps this up!

Tyler Biggs*

Franson looks like a whole different player with McLaren and Clarkson in the lineup. Watch out when Fraser comes back. Franson will definitely play even bigger, like 10 feet tall. Right now he's playing 8 feet tall as it is.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
They should just move Franson back with Gardiner. I don't think Franson's play has been terrible but rather, inconsistent. His offense is always there but he makes too much mistakes for a guy who doesn't have the insane mobility to recover from them. Not saying he's slow, but he needs to clean up his game.

The main reason I think Franson is playing poor is because he's trying to do too much offensively. He needs to get back to his positional, bullying style of play he had in the playoffs-> and focus more on be a special teams monster like he's known for. That was best served when Gardiner was doing all the heavy-lifting in terms of carrying the puck out in the Boston series, he compliments Franson better in that regard.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
You can find that stuff here:
http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/rat...8&type=individual&sort=ifassists&sortdir=DESC

Thats for 5v5. He has 1 assist in that situation and no primary assists

Right now 5v4 and 4v5 aren't showing anything, I think it's because the minimum minutes played is 50, which hasn't been elapsed yet in either game situation.

You can edit the URL to change it from 50 to something smaller, but anyway he has 2 even strength points and 7 on the PP (most on the team).

(Also interesting to note that Kadri has more PP points than any of the forwards that normally play on the first unit...)

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
im loving what cody provides on offense but people are just looking at stats and not assessing the games, him and ranger have cost us the most goals on the back end...just look at fact thats he has 9pts in 12 games and is still a minus player

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
im loving what cody provides on offense but people are just looking at stats and not assessing the games, him and ranger have cost us the most goals on the back end...just look at fact thats he has 9pts in 12 games and is still a minus player

most of his points are on the PP, thus +/- really doesnt matter in that regards

Heisenberg Blue*

If Emelin is worth 4.1... Franson doesn't come cheaper than 4.75

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
$4.1 for Emelin is absolutely moronic. Especially as he's in the middle of recovering from a very bad injury.

Emelin hasn't even proven he can be a legit top-4 dman yet and he's 27.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
it seems like he is trying to hard for Rielly imo, needs to just simplify his game more because it seems like theres atleast 2 2-1 with rielly being the only one back lol

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
He will get a solid week of practice in, hopefully that should help him. It's not like he's been at Lebda level of bad, so I'm confident the poor play is just a stretch coming from missing camp still. He played a better physical game last night though.

leafstilldeath*

If we are to consider Franson as OD and Reilly as OD that is one bad pairing. Franson and Fraser worked well because Franson would play his offensive minded game and Fraser was back for the cover. I have noticed that both Franson and Reilly jump in on the play sometimes or pinch that leads to a good scoring chance against.

At least Reilly has the wheels to get back Franson not so much. I guess Carlyle will have to tell Franson to cool it off a bit and adjust his game like Dion has adjusted his game. In time I think Franson will make a good transition to be a stud D. RHDs are limited and we want to make sure he sticks around and plays admirably.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
not about jumping into plays, its cody's play in his own zone...consistently giving puck up, losing players, out of position, just makes several evidently bad plays a game, like literally every game theres a few...even ranger has stopped recently

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I don't get the love some fans have for primary and secondary assists. If the secondary pass didn't go to the primary the goal never happens, such a stupid breakdown.
For some strange reason, people think the primary assist is the one who did all the work :laugh: ya its stupid

ALine

May 14, 2012
Hoping his defensive game turns around when Fraser comes back. Mark was a pretty good stabilizer on that defence pairing in '12-'13

But then really, they shouldn't be played more than 15-18 mins a game like they were. And with somewhat sheltered minutes, opponent wise.

Then you have to ask yourself, how much is that worth to a team? A team with a glut of offensive minded defensemen.
He earned himself a 1 year, 2 million dollar contract. A prove me wrong type contract, prove that he can do more than put up points on the power play.

Franson's role has been expanded this year to play 20+ minutes a night. He isn't bringing much to the table offensively 5 on 5, and is struggling defensively.

How has he possibly earned a raise of nearly 3 million dollars a year, with term, no less.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
I'm a Franny booster, but the guy has had some absolutely brutal games of late. Physicality was always an issue with him, but it seems his positioning is off now as well, being overly reliant on his stick and reach, and it's led to some horrendous miscues.

What can you do but hope he figures it out, I'm thinking maybe the lack of a Leafs training camp was a factor? But I don't know, he was pretty damn dominant against Montreal and Ottawa.

Backhandshelf81

Jun 14, 2013
I'm a Franny booster, but the guy has had some absolutely brutal games of late. Physicality was always an issue with him, but it seems his positioning is off now as well, being overly reliant on his stick and reach, and it's led to some horrendous miscues.

What can you do but hope he figures it out, I'm thinking maybe the lack of a Leafs training camp was a factor? But I don't know, he was pretty damn dominant against Montreal and Ottawa.

Likely, I've thought this myself. But unfortunately there's also the possibility that he just isn't cut out for top-4 minutes, and needs sheltered minutes like the kind he got for most of last season.

In that case, we need to cut bait and package him in a deal for a shutdown d-man somehow, while he still looks like a stud to other teams.

TheKule

Jun 3, 2011
Likely, I've thought this myself. But unfortunately there's also the possibility that he just isn't cut out for top-4 minutes, and needs sheltered minutes like the kind he got for most of last season.

In that case, we need to cut bait and package him in a deal for a shutdown d-man somehow, while he still looks like a stud to other teams.

But he averaged 25 minutes a night in the playoffs and was superman out there. If anyone gets moved I guess it has to be him, given the contract situation and impressive counting stats. I'm really pulling for him though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad