Cody Franson

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
I do wonder if Franson will go beyond what he was last year. A great bottom pairing guy who you can put on your top PP. At the very least he needs a stronger defensive partner to cover for him. Rielly is making a noble effort, but might be a bit much there.

Dangerous guy offensively though. Has that shot from the point and I'm sure is going to continue piling on the points this year.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
If we could trade Franson + for a RHD that was more 2-way I'd be ecstatic. This guy had one game where he played great defensively (Rielly's first game I believe?) where the intermission break showed him moving back to cover Rielly when he pinched, but besides that he's been the guy pinching all the time and leaving Rielly hung out to dry.

I'd really like if our defense looked like this...
Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - (RHD)
Gunnar - Ranger

Franson + (2nd/Fraser/Brennan/Ashton/etc.) or a 1st if we can get a young guy with good potential.

Or maybe even trade Franson + Bozak + for an improvement on the #1C spot? Then we put Gunnar with Rielly and Fraser with Ranger... Brennan/Liles/Percy for call-ups

BudMaster17

Gap Inspector
Feb 12, 2008
Toronto
If we could trade Franson + for a RHD that was more 2-way I'd be ecstatic. This guy had one game where he played great defensively (Rielly's first game I believe?) where the intermission break showed him moving back to cover Rielly when he pinched, but besides that he's been the guy pinching all the time and leaving Rielly hung out to dry.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Rielly - (RHD)
Gunnar - Ranger

Franson + (2nd/Fraser/Brennan/Ashton/etc.) or a 1st if we can get a young guy with good potential.

Or maybe even trade Franson + Bozak + for an improvement on the #1C spot? Then we put Gunnar with Rielly and Fraser with Ranger... Brennan/Liles/Percy for call-ups

I'd rather keep Franson and trade gunner. We need to trade for a RHD not trade one to get one.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
he really needs a big physical stay at home guy beside him cus hes actually maybe our worst defensive dman, prob why him and fraser worked out so well last year

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
Classic case of "what have you done for me lately"

Was by far our best defenseman to start the season. Few games later and we're ready to ship him out.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
Keep him no matter what. He's a core piece to build around... He can be good defensively depending on who he's paired with... Just wait till Fraser is back.

And he is a lock to rack up points + hits + immensely help our pp.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
People complain about the D that's near PPG, oh yeah trade that one that's the guy that's the problem. If anything Gards should be doing what Franson is doing in the points column.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
People complain about the D that's near PPG, oh yeah trade that one that's the guy that's the problem. If anything Gards should be doing what Franson is doing in the points column.
If Gardiner was doing what Franson was doing he'd get benched for being defensively irresponsible...

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Franson needs to play with a guy like Fraser... plain and simple.

The question is... who sits when Fraser returns? Whether you agree with it or not... Fraser will be in the lineup and one of Rielly, Ranger or Gards will sit.

I just hope they give Fraser two practices before putting him back out on the ice... no need to rush him back from that weird injury.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I've been ragging on Franson the past many games but my issue isn't with Franson, it's Franson being paired with Rielly. It's just a disasterous pairing. If Gardiner can find his consistency again, it should be Franson - Gardiner as they looked amazing together in the playoffs.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
Cody was already a very solid young defenseman in Nashville, and Burke basically stole him from there.

I used to hate it when during his first season with Toronto, Cody was put in the pressbox for Komisarek. Obviously the contracts were dictating who got into the lineup and who didn't. What really impressed me with Cody (and who really knows the real story except him) was that he didn't complain, he stayed patient, and despite the lack of playing time, he still wanted to be a Leaf.

And beginning last season, we got to see just how valuable he can be. An average defender with good size and reach, and a very good offensive minded skillset with that quick release shot. I don't mind him in his own zone, but he certainly can improve. Overall, a very nice asset who should contribute to more wins than losses.

Thanks BB!

Barilkos Ghost

Dec 15, 2009
Barcelona
Bloody hell, you'd think the D man who's 2nd for hits and blocked shots, and has the best giveaway - takeaway ratio among the d corps would get a bit more slack around here...

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Bloody hell, you'd think the D man who's 2nd for hits and blocked shots, and has the best giveaway - takeaway ratio among the d corps would get a bit more slack around here...

He routinely forgets to take the body around our own net... these mistakes have lead directly to goals in a few games this year. Off the top of my head there was one last night and another really bad one against Edmonton.

You can't just let guys walk out from behind the net and deposit the puck top shelf. he needs to remember he's 6'5 and put guys on their butts when they try that stuff.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Franson seems fine defensively to me. I think people are just so terrified of being labelled a homer that they have to find something wrong with the guy.

Barilkos Ghost

Dec 15, 2009
Barcelona
He routinely forgets to take the body around our own net... these mistakes have lead directly to goals in a few games this year. Off the top of my head there was one last night and another really bad one against Edmonton.

You can't just let guys walk out from behind the net and deposit the puck top shelf. he needs to remember he's 6'5 and put guys on their butts when they try that stuff.

You can make the exact same argument with Dion on a few occasions this season, he's left guys in front of the net as well.

Every player is going to have a brain fart from time to time, but Franson, if we're being honest, has only had one truly bad game. Which, again, you can say the same for Dion.

Hibachi

Oct 22, 2013
I'm not a fan of Gunnarsson, outside of the Anaheim game that he played pretty well, he was pretty average or close to our worst dman on the ice the few games before. Not to mention that whenever he touches the puck in our zone, its almost a guaranteed turnover...dude can't make an outlet pass to save his life.

DjD4GGR

Jun 15, 2010
Gatineau, Quebec
Gardiner has been playing well lately. I think it's time to put Franson back with him since they were great with each other in the playoffs. Another reason is because I think Ranger has also been playing much better now that he is getting used to the pace of the nhl. A Ranger Rielly pairing would feed off each other well so this makes sense.

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
cody and ranger are 1 and 2 so far this year when it comes to defensive blunders that lead to scoring or scoring chances...and this is with not consistently playing against teams best offensive players, omg imagine they did?

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
You can make the exact same argument with Dion on a few occasions this season, he's left guys in front of the net as well.

Every player is going to have a brain fart from time to time, but Franson, if we're being honest, has only had one truly bad game. Which, again, you can say the same for Dion.

He was horrible against both Ottawa and Anaheim, and there were some other games where he was just okay.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Franson seems fine defensively to me. I think people are just so terrified of being labelled a homer that they have to find something wrong with the guy.

Yep, I don't see it either. He's played well IMO.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
nah, I like Franson, but he's definitely had issues this year. He's been getting run around in defensive zone coverage and making awkward offensive and neutral zone plays.

Right now I'm going to chalk it up to him missing training camp, because at the end of last year he was much better than this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad