Cody Franson

Tyler Biggs*

Cody Franson is a pillar on the defense so far this year. Carlyle counts on him to not only hold his own end, but to calm the young D in Rielly and Gardiner when he is paired up with them. I just can't imagine where the Leafs would be without Franson. He will make about $500K more than Gunnar if he resigns with the Leafs. He has truly become a great player, although he should use his huge frame more and lay some good body-checks now and then.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I find he's one of our most adaptive defenders. He plays a different style with every partner he plays with (physical and offense-oriented with Fraser, cautious with Rielly and Gardiner).

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
pillar is a stretch. he's having some problems in d-zone coverage this year for sure.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
He's using his body more than he ever has in his career but his overall d is still lacking. His best attributes are still honed on the PP but I'm not sure how much the Leafs need him. If the Leafs could improve the 2nd pairing he would become an expendable asset.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I find he's one of our most adaptive defenders. He plays a different style with every partner he plays with (physical and offense-oriented with Fraser, cautious with Rielly and Gardiner).

He's had one game with Rielly where he actually played good defensively (Pretty sure it was the Philly game) besides that he's been average to terrible defensively.

I want to see how he plays in the next ~10 games because he's had a few meh games, 2-3 GREAT games, ~2 Horrible games.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
He's had one game with Rielly where he actually played good defensively (Pretty sure it was the Philly game) besides that he's been average to terrible defensively.

I want to see how he plays in the next ~10 games because he's had a few meh games, 2-3 GREAT games, ~2 Horrible games.

All of this and like last year, he hasn't even been up against tough opposition. He is a frustrating player to watch as his skating isn't spectacular. If he can get his positioning in order to counter that, he could become a much better defence man.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
How does this guy get so many points?

edit: and don't say power play, because that was hardly the case last season.

Probably because he pays little attention to the defensive side of the game. Reilly seems to be trying to cover for Franson's offensive mistakes a lot more than the other way around as would be expected of a rookie-vet combo. Two offensive defensemen does not strike me as the best combo at least not with these two togeather. Franson needs a guy like Fraiser playing beside him to be effective.

ALine

May 14, 2012
He's still got some areas to improve on, but I'm definitely glad he's in the line-up. Hopefully Nonis makes is a priority to get him locked up after this season.

I'm not prepared to lock up a guy as unreliable defensively as Franson is, to my top four. He really needs to show clear improvement in his own zone to warrant being a staple on the back end.
He's an OFD with defensive deficiencies. He is not a top four, 20 plus minute guy ATM.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Hes strong enough offensively to stick even though hes pretty weak defensively. Left Rielly out to dry a bunch of times tonight alone. Needs to play with a stay at home guy. Like Gunnarsson, or his buddy Fraser on Friday:)

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
His positioning really needs work. When you're a bigger, less mobile guy like Cody, your positioning absolutely needs to be flawless to be effective in your own zone. He's been inconsistent to say the least, but we shouldn't come to conclusions just yet as the whole team has not played that well.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Hes strong enough offensively to stick even though hes pretty weak defensively. Left Rielly out to dry a bunch of times tonight alone. Needs to play with a stay at home guy. Like Gunnarsson, or his buddy Fraser on Friday:)

Fraser can't play Friday.

I believe he played the 1st 2 games of the year, he's on LTIR so he has to miss 10 games(or 24 days whichever comes first). 10 games would be the Tuesday game, 24 days would be Sunday(and the next game from there is the Tuesday game.

Fraser(and I believe Kulemin too) can't ply until next Tuesday. McLaren and Clarkson can come back Friday

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON
good offensive stats but doesn't know how to play a lick of defense.

That's really pushing it. The whole team has been very poor defensively, and often it seemed the players were out of sync and not in the right position at the right time.

When Franson does stay in position he's a pretty effective defender as he uses his body well and his reach gives him a huge advantage.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
Fraser can't play Friday.

I believe he played the 1st 2 games of the year, he's on LTIR so he has to miss 10 games(or 24 days whichever comes first). 10 games would be the Tuesday game, 24 days would be Sunday(and the next game from there is the Tuesday game.

Fraser(and I believe Kulemin too) can't ply until next Tuesday. McLaren and Clarkson can come back Friday
Oops my mistake, thanks for correcting me

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
Franson has not been consistently great. He almost single-handedly lost us a game already this year and was far and away the least reliable player on the ice. "Pillars" don't have performances like that.

William Hylander

There can be only 1
Aug 17, 2009
He really racks up assists, thats for sure. As long as he can keep producing like he is he will make a job for himself on this team as a #3 D-man who plays alot on the powerplay.

The Goals will soon follow, maybe if he and Dion switched sides on the powerplay sometimes. Mind you not entire shifts but maybe a few times a game.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
He really racks up assists, thats for sure. As long as he can keep producing like he is he will make a job for himself on this team as a #3 D-man who plays alot on the powerplay.

The Goals will soon follow, maybe if he and Dion switched sides on the powerplay sometimes. Mind you not entire shifts but maybe a few times a game.

Too bad racking up assists doesn't help the team when he constantly leaves the rookie to defend 2 on 1s all day long.

****ing terrible sense of when to pinch and when to back off.

ALine

May 14, 2012
That's really pushing it. The whole team has been very poor defensively, and often it seemed the players were out of sync and not in the right position at the right time.

When Franson does stay in position he's a pretty effective defender as he uses his body well and his reach gives him a huge advantage.

'Uses his body well' is pushing it IMO.

I think the team defensive issues stem from the fact that Franson, Gardiner and Ranger are averaging 19-22 minutes each. All three guys, overal, have been unreliable this year, and something's got to give.

Most would, and have been, preaching patience with these three. Separately, that's fine, but when all are counted on to play the minutes they do, it gets tricky. I think one of the three needs to be packaged for a more reliable minute eater. Leafs are wining in spite of their defensive issues, but how sustainable are they?

He way I see it, Gardiner and Ranger have show more over longer periods of continuous play. Franson has show flashes, but no consistency for longer than a game or two at a time. I think Nonis should explore trade options for Franson. Gardiner is younger, and has a more appealing skillet. Ranger hasn't showed much as a leaf as of yet either, but is a veteran who is showing signs of the top 4 Dman that left Tampa. Franson hasn't show much yet to warrant any kind of raise.

(Ya, I know, 9 games. Could be premature to pull the trigger on anything right now, but something to consider shortly if things don't improve in that department.)

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Cody's getting exposed a bit with the bigger minutes Randy's given him this year.

With the very strong play of Gardiner and Ranger lately, I think Franson's minutes are going to go back down.

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
If we can get a big replacement for him(i.e Girardi) I wouldn't go crazy if we traded him.

I think he's a great offensive-d-man but very average defensively at least from what i've seen him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad