Cody Franson

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Franson brings offense but stinks in his own zone...not really the kind of player I want going into the playoffs or long term. With Gardiner, Reilly and Phaneuf all capable of scoring for the blueline, Franson is just not that valuable to me going forward.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
If Cody didn't want 4x4 , and would be satisfied with third pairing minutes - I would gladly keep him - have him solidify that third pairing. But he doesn't and won't. And truthfully - I'd rather sign McDonald in the offseason [whatever money he wants, if he's good enough to play top 4 minutes on the Island, he can do it here(ish).

Nonis seems like someone who will cut bait. He didn't think Franson was worth it last season - I doubt the fact he sat out training camp, and played like poop in top 4 situations won't change that fact.

McDonald isn't a good defenseman either...he will be overpaid by a lot and I hope the Leafs stay far away from that.

We should just leave Franson's spot open and give Percy, Finn and Granberg an audition...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
McDonald isn't a good defenseman either...he will be overpaid by a lot and I hope the Leafs stay far away from that.

We should just leave Franson's spot open and give Percy, Finn and Granberg an audition...

is he really?
hmm.
then that changes things then.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
If Cody didn't want 4x4 , and would be satisfied with third pairing minutes - I would gladly keep him - have him solidify that third pairing. But he doesn't and won't. And truthfully - I'd rather sign McDonald in the offseason [whatever money he wants, if he's good enough to play top 4 minutes on the Island, he can do it here(ish).

Nonis seems like someone who will cut bait. He didn't think Franson was worth it last season - I doubt the fact he sat out training camp, and played like poop in top 4 situations won't change that fact.

I look back and still think that was an important negotiation for Nonis in the off season. It would really suck if we were stuck with Franson's play at a larger cap hit and term. Based on last year and in the most recent games this season, it's becoming very apparent that Franson is better when given sheltered minutes in the game. If he could be had for cheap (providing no real upgrade available), then I think Nonis would want him back but based on this past off season, I think he and his agent are going to make negotiations very difficult for Nonis. I'm hope I'm wrong though.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
I look back and still think that was an important negotiation for Nonis in the off season. It would really suck if we were stuck with Franson's play at a larger cap hit and term. Based on last year and in the most recent games this season, it's becoming very apparent that Franson is better when given sheltered minutes in the game. If he could be had for cheap (providing no real upgrade available), then I think Nonis would want him back but based on this past off season, I think he and his agent are going to make negotiations very difficult for Nonis. I'm hope I'm wrong though.

am telling you right now - I will not be one licked of surprised if Reimer/Franson were traded for something [or space]. and then see what the summer [re: trade] brings.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
interst in jason garrison? i doubt he waives his ntc, but if he did what would you add to franson to get him.

he is a solid d man in both ends of the rink

Duke Silver

Truce?
Jun 4, 2008
Toronto/St. John's
interst in jason garrison? i doubt he waives his ntc, but if he did what would you add to franson to get him.

he is a solid d man in both ends of the rink

The question is why would you trade him if he's so solid? Organizational need?

Also, we wouldn't be able to take on Garrison's salary without adding more salary to our end, and I can't see us sending out two roster players for him.

Canuck86

Feb 12, 2014
Kelowna
The question is why would you trade him if he's so solid? Organizational need?

Also, we wouldn't be able to take on Garrison's salary without adding more salary to our end, and I can't see us sending out two roster players for him.

The deal could happen at the draft. We have 3 good left handed D. 2 of which are solid Defenders, one who is more Offence. So I trade from a position of strength and MOve Garrison and retain Edler as the offensive guy and hammer as the stay at home.

You have some you guys who will become good D men who will produce good pts just gotta groom them and let them grow.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
or what would you offer for Garrison or Bieksa

Franson, rights to komarov and a 2nd?

I'm sure the Leafs would do a trade like that in a second but that trade doesn't work at all

- Leafs have no cap room so they couldn't add 2.5 without getting rid of someone
- I don't think the Leafs have the rights to Komarov
- Leafs don't have a 2nd this year or next
- I highly doubt Vancouver would do that

Personally I think Bieksa is a ***** but he would be a perfect fit on the Leafs... 2nd pairing two way RD

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle 25m
Carlyle says missing training camp really hurt Cody Franson. He's been dealing with minor injuries all year.

poor baby.
next time don't hold out, i don't feel sorry for you at all.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
poor baby.
next time don't hold out, i don't feel sorry for you at all.

Must've been nursing a concussion as well because his decision making has been highly questionable.

Franson is 2nd in the league in hits with 212, who'd have thought that?

I dont believe it. The ACC hits guy is very generous

We have 1245 recorded hits at home (leads the league) and 751 on the road (8th)

He's definitely using his body much more than when he first came over from Nashville but I don't think its improved his game at all. He hits like Komisarek, meaning it leaves him out of position, then, as a result of his slow foot speed, he doesn't make it back into position on time.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
4 more games at home.

Unless we're getting 125 more hits per game in those additional home contests, the numbers aren't jiving.

Interesting... so breaking down the numbers...

We are averaging 38.9 hits per game at home, and 26.8 hits per game on the road, a 45% increase.

However, if you look at the entire league, there are 21677 home hits and 19791 away hits...so home hits are naturally awarded 9.5% more often.

Therefore, a natural expectation for our home hits (based on our road hits), would be 26.8 * 1.095 = 29.4 per game.

Therefore, our hits at home are overstated by 38.9/29.4 = 32%. 53% of our games have been at home, which means our true hits are overstated by 17%.

A big number, without a doubt, but probably not as big as some would expect.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Giveaways are just as out of whack.

Leafs have apparently given the puck away a whopping 503(1st in the league) times at home compared to just 182(20th) on the road. For some context, only 3 other teams have even 400 giveaways at home. Columbus has just 97 despite having a significantly worse record than us at home.

The conclusion is, real-time stats are bunk.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Leafs have apparently given the puck away a whopping 503(1st in the league) times at home compared to just 182(20th) on the road. For some context, only 3 other teams have even 400 giveaways at home. Columbus has just 97 despite having a significantly worse record than us at home.

Holy crap... I wonder what the numbers would look like if we applied the same analysis to giveaways that I did hits.... some math to do.

MakeTheIronSing

Oct 13, 2011
Edmonton

The conclusion is, 6 of the Leafs D men are in the top 50 in giveaways amongst D (4 in the top 20).

Is bunk another way of saying incapable of a breakout pass?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad