Waived: Cody Franson on waivers (clears)

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
But muh corsi and xgf%?!!!

I would love to see what type of analytics NHL teams run. I guarantee it makes those metrics look like they were written in crayon.

Reactions: Michael Farkas

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
But muh corsi and xgf%?!!!

I would love to see what type of analytics NHL teams run. I guarantee it makes those metrics look like they were written in crayon.

Bit of a knee-jerk reaction, no?

It’s possible there is interest, but interested teams could want to send a contract back?

Reactions: uncleben85

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
He was one of the only Sabres last year that could actually execute a pass accurately on the break out. He is very slow though.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Or maybe NHL GMs are not as competent as you imagine them to be.
Yeah, that makes more sense. HF knows more than 31 GMs.

If it were one or two GMs passing on him? Maybe. But the fact that all 31, including those heavily invested in analytics, passed on a guy that gets paid $1m, tells a pretty compelling tale.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
NHL teams have far more "advanced" analytics than missed shots and the like. Even junior teams of prominence (the richer clubs in particular, Remparts, Knights, hell, even some mid-level Dub clubs that I've spoken with the coaching staffs of) are past this...again, that's why it's public. And like its predecessors, it will take a few years for the fad to die down and/or be replaced with more useful information and people will look back and go "can you believe we counted every shot as equal?!?!" - it's important to take yourself out of the moment before falling into these things.

Cody Franson is not good at sports, that's why he's not in the NHL any more.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
So much for analytics. Cleared waivers as per hockey central.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
NHL teams have far more "advanced" analytics than missed shots and the like. Even junior teams of prominence (the richer clubs in particular, Remparts, Knights, hell, even some mid-level Dub clubs that I've spoken with the coaching staffs of) are past this...again, that's why it's public. And like its predecessors, it will take a few years for the fad to die down and/or be replaced with more useful information and people will look back and go "can you believe we counted every shot as equal?!?!" - it's important to take yourself out of the moment before falling into these things.

Cody Franson is not good at sports, that's why he's not in the NHL any more.
Weighted models have been a thing for years now...

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
That said, charting Cody Franson as a "loss" or "death knell", as it were, for the analytics community is also quite foolish. Use all the tools at your disposal with the appropriate weight and you start to paint a clearer picture. Relying on one tool with a disproportionate amount of weight and you get left with egg on your face.

In other words, claiming that GMs are stupid because this poor skating, no hockey sense defenseman who shoots from anywhere and therefore possesses the puck is an objectively bad take. Just because you have statistics doesn't mean that they themselves are not biased towards certain players.

Similarly, claiming that analytics is dead because a loser like Cody Franson cleared waivers and therefore all of the libraries can be burned down is also an objectively bad take...

A bad player cleared waivers. Das it.

Reactions: Rusty Razor

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
That said, charting Cody Franson as a "loss" or "death knell", as it were, for the analytics community is also quite foolish. Use all the tools at your disposal with the appropriate weight and you start to paint a clearer picture. Relying on one tool with a disproportionate amount of weight and you get left with egg on your face.

In other words, claiming that GMs are stupid because this poor skating, no hockey sense defenseman who shoots from anywhere and therefore possesses the puck is an objectively bad take. Just because you have statistics doesn't mean that they themselves are not biased towards certain players.

Similarly, claiming that analytics is dead because a loser like Cody Franson cleared waivers and therefore all of the libraries can be burned down is also an objectively bad take...

A bad player cleared waivers. Das it.
I wasn't meaning to imply that shot-based metrics have no value - but the HF analytics community is about as ignorant regarding the limitations of those statistics as those that complete discount shot-based stats are.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
You're not wrong in some instances. There's always a lunatic fringe on each side of an issue...how people get there? I haven't the slightest idea, but they generally ruin it for those that have good intentions.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

tbur4mu.gif

dk2k

recovering cynic
Jul 5, 2017
Yeah, he can definitely help a team. He wasn't bad, he just wasn't good enough to secure that final RD spot on our team.

In a perfect world, he would have been used to spell Seabrook games here and there, but god forbid Q ever scratch Seabrook.
Looks like you're getting your wish.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Shocked he passed through. Figured some teams needing offense from the blue line would have at least taken a flier on him

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Biggest problem is his speed. That said, I'm still surprised he cleared.

For people saying he'll probably be traded now, I disagree. It's true that a lot of trades do happen right after a player clears waivers, because then a contract can be sent out in exchange and the player can be assigned to the AHL freely. But I think Chicago is probably pretty happy that he is still with the organization. They didn't want rid of him, he just lost his job at the moment. If they still feel like they might be able to land a playoff spot, then they'll happily carry the contract in the minors as insurance in case they need to call him up later.

Beantown Beatdown

Sep 10, 2007
Hamilton
Shocked he passed through. Figured some teams needing offense from the blue line would have at least taken a flier on him

I just read a little article somewhere about the Bruins taking a shot at him and it mentioned that if he were to clear waivers and then a team traded for him after that, they wouldn't have to subject him to waivers again if they decided to send him down. I think it was something along those lines. Perhaps he may still be traded??

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
There is a reason teams keep getting rid of this guy. Hes terrible. Not surprised at all he cleared.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad