Waived: Cody Franson on waivers (clears)

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Why wouldnt the Hawks just trade him and get some asset for him?

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
He'll be an Islander id imagine. Injuries to the D and now the best possible callup from Bridgeport, Devon Toews is having season ending shoulder surgery. I don't want him, but I don't see Snow passing it up.

Reactions: MikeyMike01

MMC

Global Moderator
May 11, 2014
Orange County, CA
Can the Ducks get in on this? Swap him for Bieksa, he would be interesting with Fowler, a player considered very good with poor analytics with a player considered very bad with good analytics and would probably be a better partner for him than Bieksuck. I’d be perfectly fine giving:

Lindholm-Manson
Fowler-Franson
Beauchemin-Montour

don’t need to give Franson a big leash, we can waive him again if it doesn’t work, or he’d be fine as a 7th defenseman.

Reactions: Arthuros

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Why wouldnt the Hawks just trade him and get some asset for him?

Because there's no market for bottom pairing D-men ? It took Dallas almost 2 years to accept that fact . We had 8 and/or 9 defenseman for ages and to get rid of that we pretty much had to give away the 2 guys ( Oleksiak/Nemeth) we didn't want to keep.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
He really hasn't been terrible.
The younger defensemen on the Hawks have just been better than expected.

Forsling and Oesterle in particular.

Reactions: SoCalFan

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Can't see anyone taking a flyer, but who knows . . . every time I say that, a GM proves me wrong.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Glad to see him leave, seemed like a nice enough guy, but he made this team worse.

With Seabrook playing every night, we already had a slow RD who needed to be sheltered. Having Franson in the mix just made it a bigger challenge. Also, I'd rather see young guys like Murphy, Oesterle, and Rutta play and improve then watch Franson try to keep up.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Moral of the story kids....don't invest in players who made their name on Toronto.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe a team at the bottom puts in a claim in hopes of getting a free 6th/7th rounder for him at the deadline?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Sad state of affairs for Cody Franson. He's probably the only 6'5" RHD offensive defenseman in the past decade to not to ever seriously cash in on what he appears to be on paper. He should seriously fire his agent.

ThatSaid

May 31, 2015
Glendale Heights, IL
I know our record doesn't really indicate that we are set at D, but Franson is just the victim of young players developing fast. Oesterle's surge makes Franson expendable, especially when you consider we have Kempny who hasn't even played 20 games this year.

Someone should claim him. His possession numbers are pretty deceptive, but he's still good enough to skate down the middle and rip some wristers at the goalie. I think we'd have less PP problems this year if we actually made Franson the tip of the umbrella instead of Keith. Or maybe it would just be a RHD throwing futile pucks on net. Who knows?

If you're having D problems, Franson totally fits on the third paring with some 1st or 2nd unit PP time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad