Waived: Cody Franson on waivers (clears)

Jul 6, 2016
Habs badly need another RHD with Weber injured until at least the All Star Game.

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Doesn't Liljegren's entry-slide contract put them at 49 ?

Or does the fact that he plays in the AHL rather than a junior league negate that?

He still counts

That slide thing is a little misunderstood (mostly bc almost no slide players are sent to the AHL)

Simplifying some of the specifics, a player is slide eligible if they have a contract and under the age of 20. The term "slide" refers to the agreed upon contract "sliding" over to the next year if a player plays fewer than 10 games in the NHL in the season (this is in place so as not to punish the team or player for focusing on development)

Almost of these players, if they don't make the NHL, are sent back to either juniors or Europe. Liljegren is a unique case where he doesn't have to go to the juniors, and Toronto thinks the AHL is better for him than Europe.

This then gets tied into the other rule that a player in North American juniors does not count against the 50 contract limit (again, a rule to not punish teams for investing in developing players)

Technically they are 2 different rules, just they often get used together.

TL;DR: Liljegren's contract will still slide, but he does not qualify for contract-count exemption, since he's in the AHL.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Habs badly need another RHD with Weber injured until at least the All Star Game.

Ehh, who really cares about this season anymore? Petry's solid every now and then as a Weber replacement, we can use Benn there, call up Lernout and maybe Juulsen to get a taste of NHL. But yeah, Franson might be a decent stop gap for now so I'm not opposed to it.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
Franson is one of those guys that I have never understood why some people like his game. The most important part of playing defense is defense unless you are Karlsson and he's not.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Right handed guy that can move the puck around who isn't as good as he used to be...

No Oilers, no! Do NOT dive in that dumpster!

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
There are very few teams in this league that wouldn't benefit from getting a Cody Franson for free.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
Franson IMO is Hal Gill.

Big guy, pretty slow, eats up a lot of ice just in reach. Could he be the difference in depth for a Cup team? Hard to say. I don’t feel like anyone gave Hal Gill that credence until he won the Cup with the Pens.

Certainly they never said that while he was in Toronto.

I think Toronto will trade for him if he hits the AHL.

There was reportedly interest from the Leafs after his BUF contract was expiring.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Franson is one of those guys that I have never understood why some people like his game. The most important part of playing defense is defense unless you are Karlsson and he's not.
Because he has a hard shot and at one time scored a few goals on the powerplay. You're right though, he's awful.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
I really thought he'd fit in Chicago. Given his contract is low and a 1yr deal, I actually think it means there was no trade market for him. Either he gets claimed by a bottom feeder, or he will pass through. If a contending team wanted him they would have given up a pick.

Incetardis

Sep 17, 2013
I haven't seen him play this year so not sure if his game has fallen off significantly but Franson was always a divisive character in toronto because some people can't see the forest from the trees. Is he a complete player? Hell no but he has strengths that explain the strong anlalytic numbers. The eye test can be ugly with him. He moves like an iceberg and sometimes will get burnt by speed to the outside because he doesn't have the skating ability to recover. However, he is also smart enough to know he has to be near perfect positionally and uses his reach and stick effectively. He has a great first pass and a real knack for getting point shots on net which gives him some upside offensively. He would make a lot of teams better so I'd be shocked of someone doesn't take a shot, especially at his cap hit.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Just noticed the Red Wings have some cap space to burn and an open roster spot with Glendening on LTIR... Why do I feel like this guy has Ken Holland written all over him?

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I haven't seen him play this year so not sure if his game has fallen off significantly but Franson was always a divisive character in toronto because some people can't see the forest from the trees. Is he a complete player? Hell no but he has strengths that explain the strong anlalytic numbers. The eye test can be ugly with him. He moves like an iceberg and sometimes will get burnt by speed to the outside because he doesn't have the skating ability to recover. However, he is also smart enough to know he has to be near perfect positionally and uses his reach and stick effectively. He has a great first pass and a real knack for getting point shots on net which gives him some upside offensively. He would make a lot of teams better so I'd be shocked of someone doesn't take a shot, especially at his cap hit.

I feel exactly the same but exactly opposite.

Some people can't see the forest through the trees because they are blinded by some good offensive instincts. The problem is that what he is going to give his team vs what he is going to give the opposition can be perfectly illustrated by game 7 against Boston where he made a really nice offensive play and then proceeded to be one of, if not the main reason the Bruins were able to come back.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I guessing that if there is some interest, Chicago would have to be willing to take a contract back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad