Value of: Cody Ceci

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
Wow...8 games as a Leaf...playing with an all-star partner..has looked decent to me! Not many glaring errors! He has been steady,which is mostly what is required because Rielly is usually in the 'doing too much mode' anyway. He has a new coach and team to adapt to. I really don't think 8 games is a good enough benchmark or fair assessment. I'm thinking he stays a Leaf . But time will tell.

Reactions: decaguard

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Has he been good? To say he hasn’t been bad is not the greatest compliment.
Never said he was good and I wasnt complimenting him. He hasn't been a tire fire and that's fine as the teams 4th best dman and soon to be the teams 5th best when Dermott comes back. Probably the #6 by seasons end. He still hasn't been that bad though. Better than advertised.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Leafs fans thinking they could get a pick for Ceci, lmao. These are the same fans that thought they could move Marleau for a 2nd+ :laugh:.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
No one is saying he is ideal, but 5v5 for D he is 6th in the league in points, 4th P1. CF% is 55th. QOC is 10th (5th for RHD). and 13th in league for minutes.
For all situations he is 25th in points, 19th P1.

His zone start ratio is 15th worst in the league at 35.6

(all numbers reference corsica, 100 minutes, D)

So I'm not sure what people want. He plays insane minutes both on the ice and for toughness of competition, gets no PP time and is absolutely set up to fail, yet still produces top pairing points and really solid Corsi for his deployment. And at the position that may be hardest to fill in the NHL.

I agree there are times you ask yourself what was he doing (although far far less than Reilly), but to think someone with those kind of number is waiver wire fodder is foolish.
Yeah but its cody ceci. None of that on ice success matters

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The Leafs are not going to trade him for a 5th. They probably won't trade him for less than a 2nd+. He has value to this team and fills a crucial role.

He probably should not be playing 22+ minutes a night, but you can blame that on Holl, Marincin, Sandin, etc. for not being good enough to handle more than 12 minutes a night.

Once Dermott returns, his minutes will likely go down. Until then, Ceci has been fine.

Right now he has nowhere near 2nd round value. He is a currently under performing and overpaid blueliner. He needs to have a good season, and if he does the Leafs likely want to keep him if they can. More than likely he plays with the Leafs and is just ok and moves on as an unqualified RFA making him UFA.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Mike Green would rather retire than play for Babcock again. Not going to happen.

Ceci has been fine. There's no reason for Toronto to trade him unless they add significantly for an upgrade coming back. But losing him without getting a different RHD just kills the slot allocation for the whole blueline.

When did Mike Green play for Babcock? He joined the Wings the first season that Babcock coached the Leafs, and pretty sure Babcock wasn't the coach of the Caps at any point.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I think they should try and resign him cheap.
And try and resign muzzin.

Let Barrie walk, he's going to want too much money.
Next season:

Reilly - Ceci
Muzzin - Dermott
Sandin - Liljegren

Not ideal, but it is much more feasible than trying to fit in Barrie at 7M+

Barrie would fit in at 7

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Right now he has nowhere near 2nd round value. He is a currently under performing and overpaid blueliner. He needs to have a good season, and if he does the Leafs likely want to keep him if they can. More than likely he plays with the Leafs and is just ok and moves on as an unqualified RFA making him UFA.

He actually hasn’t been that bad. Not great. But if we are being honest. Rielly was the worst part of that pair up until the last 2-3 games.

Mo was garbage. Getting walked by shattenkirk. Turning the wrong way.

He has settled down. Ceci isn’t a long term leaf. But he’s better than Z was for about 65 games last year. Until paired with muzz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad