Value of: Cody Ceci

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
One of the reasons why Phaneuf was obtained was to get a veteran top-4 guy to play alongside Ceci - whose partner might well have been a musical chair (Wiercioch, Borowiecki, AHL guys).

Ceci has looked great since paired with Phaneuf, Ottawa needs Ceci especially since they might lose a player like Methot (Karlsson's partner) in the expansion draft. Before the Phaneuf trade, Ottawa was forever looking to have a decent top-4 and they finally have it now. The bottom pair (currently Boro-Wideman by default) is the biggest question mark going into the season.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He is a LH Dman that prefers the right side.
If I am not mistaken, he has looked quite lost when tried on the left side in the past.

Well he's looked great on the Left side in Ottawa, really anchoring the 2nd pair with Ceci.

Wonder how much AAV it would take to get Ottawa to not match a front-loaded 5 year offer sheet on Ceci.

Upwards of 5.5Mil.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
:laugh: Credibility = lost. Ceci is a 3rd pairing Dman like Crosby is a 2C .

Nooooo thank you.

I'm not sure how anyone could justify Ceci being a top 4 defenceman. He looked absolutely awful for 80% of the season. Then when he was paired with Phaneuf he went on a super unsustainable tear for a dozen games or so.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
I'm not sure how anyone could justify Ceci being a top 4 defenceman. He looked absolutely awful for 80% of the season. Then when he was paired with Phaneuf he went on a super unsustainable tear for a dozen games or so.

I'm not sure how anyone could justify Ceci NOT being a top 4 Dman. He carried scrubs like Cowen and Borowiecki, and once he had a legit top 4 Dman in Phaneuf to play with, he looked more like a 2/3 Dman. Try watching the man play. If you think Ceci is a bottom pairing Dman, then you are totally out to lunch.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

So...in other words, when he wasn't paired with the tire fire Jared Cowen or the almost as crappy Patrick Wiercioch? Who'd have thought?

Clamshells

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 11, 2009

Because a #4 defenceman isn't the one to carry that pairing, that job is for the #3 defenceman. If he were able to carry Wiercioch or Cowen and make it a respectable pairing, then he'd be better than a #4.

It's like putting a goal scorer next to two enforcers and then saying he's not a goal scorer because pucks aren't going in.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
I'm not sure how anyone could justify Ceci NOT being a top 4 Dman. He carried scrubs like Cowen and Borowiecki, and once he had a legit top 4 Dman in Phaneuf to play with, he looked more like a 2/3 Dman. Try watching the man play. If you think Ceci is a bottom pairing Dman, then you are totally out to lunch.

I did watch the games. ALL of the games, not just the few he was good in.

Of course you thought he looked like a 2/3 defenceman because he had a super unrepeatable 65% goals for percentage. That means of all the goals scored when that pairing was on the ice, the sens accounted for 65% of them. They looked like a very good pairing, but in reality they got super lucky with save percentage and shooting percentage (PDO). Looking at their shot proxies, you'll see that the pairing was pretty mediocre and was outshot frequently.

So...in other words, when he wasn't paired with the tire fire Jared Cowen or the almost as crappy Patrick Wiercioch? Who'd have thought?

He looked awful when paired with Methot, and he played with Methot more than he played with Cowen.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Adam Larsson is a good comparison money-wise but not the situation. He signed for 4 years with an AAv of $4.1m taking him to UFA ... but Ottawa won't do that:

For Ceci ... he will accrue 7 years of NHL service after the 2019-2020 season (4 seasons) making him a UFA.

Ottawa will either sign him for 2/3 years @ ~$3.5m, making him an RFA at the end of the contract, or they will buy some of those UFA years with a 6-8 year deal at $4m+. I think you can rule out a 4 or 5 year deal.

internetdotcom

11 + 15 + 19 = 666
Jun 23, 2009
Capital O
Looking at their shot proxies, you'll see that the pairing was pretty mediocre and was outshot frequently.

That's because our whole friggin' TEAM was routinely outshot, and badly so. The team gave up over 30 shots a game, pretty much every game, and sometimes much more than 30. That is a system issue, and a not blocking shots and not getting in the shooting lanes issue, team-wide. Again, a system issue. Ceci is in every way a top 4 Dman, and to say otherwise is uninformed and just plain wrong. But I've grown tired of your uninformed Sens posts in this and other threads. I'll likely just block you. Good day, sir.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
That's because our whole friggin' TEAM was routinely outshot, and badly so. The team gave up over 30 shots a game, pretty much every game, and sometimes much more than 30. That is a system issue, and a not blocking shots and not getting in the shooting lanes issue, team-wide. Again, a system issue. Ceci is in every way a top 4 Dman, and to say otherwise is uninformed and just plain wrong. But I've grown tired of your uninformed Sens posts in this and other threads. I'll likely just block you. Good day, sir.

This just shows how little you know about advanced stats. Relative stats show how the team fares when Ceci is on the ice versus when he is off the ice. It has nothing to do with how many shots the team gives up. By your logic Karlsson would have terrible shot proxies, but he is among the best in the nhl.

You just keep repeating the same sentiment, but aren't able to provide anything to back up your stubborn claim, except for 'because I said so!'. Grow up.

I'm not the uninformed one, you are. Good day.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
This just shows how little you know about advanced stats. Relative stats show how the team fares when Ceci is on the ice versus when he is off the ice. It has nothing to do with how many shots the team gives up. By your logic Karlsson would have terrible shot proxies, but he is among the best in the nhl.

You just keep repeating the same sentiment, but aren't able to provide anything to back up your stubborn claim, except for 'because I said so!'. Grow up.

It was a tough year for Ceci no doubt. Not that he has ever been great his shot based metrics to date but this season was a worse than the past two and it's not becuase he was expected to be play a bigger role either. He has been asked to carry that 2nd pairing pretty much since his first NHL game. In my eyes he isn't a number #3D and calling him a 3rd pairing guy is harsh. I think he can be a good #4, which he will be slotted to be with the trade for Dion. I guess we will have to wait and see but you can certainly expect those numbers to get better now that he will have more support to his left.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Advanced stats have spoken. :bow:

No need for an opinion. Commence mind closing.

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
Advanced stats have spoken. :bow:

No need for an opinion. Commence mind closing.

I think the reason why people are so allergic to advanced stats is because they don't understand them. In reality they are far less "advanced" and more over simple.

Btw, my whole opinion on Ceci isn't based on advanced stats, they just support my opinion.

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
Wow if a 3rd pairing dman gets more than 4mil and long term contract then

-______________________________-

While it was definitely less than ideal, he was counted on to anchor the 2nd pairing last year before the Phaneuf deal.

So it's tough to take your post seriously.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I think the reason why people are so allergic to advanced stats is because they don't understand them. In reality they are far less "advanced" and more over simple.

Btw, my whole opinion on Ceci isn't based on advanced stats, they just support my opinion.

Or confirmation bias. You use the stats to make yourself think your opinion is fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad