TSN: Cody Ceci + Hapur + Luchuk and pick for Nikita Zeitsev + Brown + Carcone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Are you telling me that the Sens are trading for a Russian?

Come on Zeitsev, use your ntc to say no to the Sens.

f*** the Leafs.

Helped them get out of the Phaneuf contract and now are helping them get out of the Zeitsev contract.

The rivalry really is dead between these two teams. No way this shit would have happened back in the day.

ChurchOfAlfie

Dec 4, 2016
I wonder if part of the potential “sweetener” is them talking Boedker and buying him out/burying him in the minors. Maybe Condon.

I legitimately forgot Boedker was even on this team. I can't keep track of all the mediocre players that have passed through town over the past year or two.

Reactions: NB613

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
This looks like a big mistake. Zaitsev is way overpaid for what he brings.

Leaf fan I come in peace. I wouldn't look at his stats in the NHL as an indicator as to what Zaitsev can do, he was an offensive d-man in Russia but used mainly in defensive match-up pairings against other teams top players. He was not given much opportunity to show his best skillset, which is driving play in the other end. He's littleish for a NHL defender but he is feisty and he tends to bring out the worst in his opponents, you often see other players losing their cool vs Zaitsev, going at him after the whistle, giving hacks and face washes after the whistle. If this reports is true and you do get him, I think you will grow to like the guy.

Reactions: NB613

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
As much as Ceci's defensive blunders are well noted, we would be getting a guy signed long term, who Toronto feels isn't a good enough defender to keep.

Let that sink in...

That's not quite accurate, Z asked to be moved for personal reasons.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I like it he will already be our second best defenseman when he arrives.

Leafs were really high on him need to clear cap and he's already locked up long term. Good pick up if we get him.

He's also a right shot.

Reactions: Duncstar

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Leaf fan here. Not happy about this deal because you guys are upgrading and getting a good player. If you watch him consistently like I have for the last three seasons you will see a solid, hard working, and tough player with some offensive spark. Zaitsev was misused since he came back from a brutal injury plagued season two years ago. This year he was solid and formed a pretty formidable tandem with Muzzin, especially in the playoffs.

I don't blame the guy for wanting to leave. Don Cherry is a dick. And Leaf fans are unforgiving. He is also a fairly young and cost controlled asset. You guys made our like bandits.
And if you watch ceci on a consistent basis you’d know that he is better than zaitsev in every way. Last year? Isn’t that the year zaitsev was making all those mistakes in the playoffs?
Ceci is also younger. He has also been misused here yet has much better numbers than zaitsev. Ceci has more potential to improve with better coaching. He has been playing FIRST pairing minutes. What do you expect?
I’m not saying I want ceci to stay but I wouldn’t want zaitsev here for 4 years at over 4mil either.
Don’t get why we’d be helping out a division rival. Unless something significant is coming back. Ie. not brown

Last edited:

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
And if you watch ceci on a consistent basis you’d know that he is better than zaitsev in every way. Last year? Isn’t that the year zaitsev was making all those mistakes in the playoffs?
Ceci is also younger. He has also been misused here yet has much better numbers than zaitsev.
I’m not saying I want ceci to stay but I wouldn’t want zaitsev here for 4 years at over 4mil either
Don’t get why we’d be helping out a division rival. Unless something significant is coming back. Ie. not brown
Zaitzev was good in the playoffs paired with muzzin

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Leaf fan I come in peace. I wouldn't look at his stats in the NHL as an indicator as to what Zaitsev can do, he was an offensive d-man in Russia but used mainly in defensive match-up pairings against other teams top players. He was not given much opportunity to show his best skillset, which is driving play in the other end. He's littleish for a NHL defender but he is feisty and he tends to bring out the worst in his opponents, you often see other players losing their cool vs Zaitsev, going at him after the whistle, giving hacks and face washes after the whistle. If this reports is true and you do get him, I think you will grow to like the guy.
Well the same can be said of ceci. Ceci has always been the better player with better numbers and higher upside. He needs better coaching and slotting.
Let’s keep in mind ceci has been playing on a last place terribly coached team

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
I’m aware that it’s not realistic, but hope it ends up being Ceci and Tierney for Zaitsev and Kadri. Those subtle nondescript +’s in Bob’s tweet end up being two arguably more significant players following dialogue build up till Monday :laugh:

Reactions: NB613 and BK201

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I’m aware that it’s not realistic, but hope it ends up being Ceci and Tierney for Zaitsev and Kadri. Those subtle nondescript +’s in Bob’s tweet end up being two arguably more significant players following dialogue build up till Monday :laugh:

That deal is still terrible for Ottawa.

Difference between Tierney and Kadri is not worth taking on Zaitsev for 5YRs.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
We need bracco or nylander coming back or else stop helping them get out of trouble.

Clayonator

Aug 11, 2018
Vancouver
That deal is still terrible for Ottawa.

Difference between Tierney and Kadri is not worth taking on Zaitsev for 5YRs.

Zaitsev and his 5 years alone are worth it when the alternative would be Pierre signing Ceci to a long term deal to hold down the #4 spot instead. He’s the better player. Think of it as separate parts. If Ceci extends for say as high as 4.5-5 million (assuming they keep him) that frees up 1-1.3 million of cap space. It doesn’t sound like much, but given there the Toronto’s at right now, it actually is. Kadri is better than Tierney but not to extend of the Leafs not valuing him over the financial flexibility they’d receive with the trade, plus Tierney is more disciplined and Dubas is anti truculence. Maybe they need more space, and so we take on Brown as well as a dump. Not a bad thing.

Tkachuk-Kadri-Batherson

Duclair-White-Ryan

Balcers-Brown/Chlapik/Norris-Brown

Smith-Pageau-Verronneau

Chabot-DeMelo

Wolanin-Zaitsev

Borowiecki-Jaros

EDIT: Math was wrong, Zaitsev makes 4.5 not 4.25 million which altered the numbers once, and then Dreger mentioned that Ceci’s projected to get around 5 million on his new deal. With a range of 4.5-5 million that creates a differential of 1.6-2.1 million saved/spent by Toronto and Ottawa respectively.

Last edited:

horner

May 22, 2007
I think the most likely scenarios are the Leafs try to trade his rights for peanuts or they simply walk away from whatever he's awarded from arbitration. This is about cap space to sign Marner, and for the second time in about 3 years the Leafs will use the Sens to dump a lackluster d-man to get out of cap trouble. And just like last time, the young d-man the Leafs take back will probably never suit up for the organization.

Side note: truly, it's going to be hard seeing Ceci go... :P

From the video clip, Zailsev is 100% better and people think the Leafs should add mmmmmmm.
I think Ottawa is lucky to be getting anything.
The only reason the Leafs are trading Zailsev is because he wants to be traded.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
You guys are all being too short-sighted here. Dorian is enacting a brilliant plan to get Zaitsev + for free. He’s just waiting for the inevitable where the Leafs walk away from Ceci’s arbitration award to swoop in and sign him up as a UFA at a lower price! Just imagine it. Zaitsev AND Ceci for nothing! This may be the greatest Dorian move ever.

Reactions: Duncstar

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Brown has a 500K signing bonus

On a combined 6.6 cap hit, Melnyk would save 3.5 in actual dollars this season

I’d say just let Ceci walk and you could spend 6.6 in cap better... but then Melnyk would not be saving 3.5 million

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad