Speculation: Cody Ceci Arbitration Ask

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison

Is it just me or is that an absolutely ludicrous ask from Ceci? The teams offer is exactly in line with what I see him earning. 3.5-4.5mil seems more than fair for him imo or am I way off?

With the market set by Trouba and Dumba.... yeah, that seems a little silly. The initial asks are always high, though.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
I understand the player is supposed to ask for more than what the team is offering but 6M just really makes him look silly... OTT offer looks pretty reasonable to me, maybe make it 4M.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
People react this way to all arbitration asks. It's basic stuff, team asks low, player asks high.

Ceci's ask also might be a pressure tactic to get a long term deal done. Even if his ask is unrealistic, arbitration can be unpredictable. Remember Hoffman getting 2M only? It goes both ways. By old school stats, Ceci was used and deployed like a 5M+ dman. Whether he excelled or not might be hard to illustrate.

In short, Ceci asking 6 pressures OTT to sign a 4 * 4.5 AAV extension when they'd probably prefer a 2 year term because they don't want to risk Ceci getting his ask, even if the risk is minor.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
People react this way to all arbitration asks. It's basic stuff, team asks low, player asks high.

Ceci's ask also might be a pressure tactic to get a long term deal done. Even if his ask is unrealistic, arbitration can be unpredictable. Remember Hoffman getting 2M only? It goes both ways. By old school stats, Ceci was used and deployed like a 5M+ dman. Whether he excelled or not might be hard to illustrate.

In short, Ceci asking 6 pressures OTT to sign a 4 * 4.5 AAV extension when they'd probably prefer a 2 year term because they don't want to risk Ceci getting his ask, even if the risk is minor.

I don't think it is that hard to illustrate he struggled mightily for a good while. I remember a tweet from Travis Jost that painted a damning picture of him from about two months into the season before the wheels really came off.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher and Dorion keep telling anyone who will listen he's great. I would really like to see him with a decent partner. Of course I would really like it if Ottawa had a few more decent players

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Sens offer looks like the most reasonable one in arbitration thus far. $4M is fair IMO, but within 10% either way is well done.

Setec Astronomy

Jun 15, 2012
I don't know if anyone gets to ask questions during the hearing, but if you're Ceci's camp you bring out the reports that the Sens turned down Hall in a one for one or close to one for one trade. Anyone who is too valuable to be traded for the reigning MVP is surely worth $6 million.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

he still isn't worth 4.5 million

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I don't know if anyone gets to ask questions during the hearing, but if you're Ceci's camp you bring out the reports that the Sens turned down Hall in a one for one or close to one for one trade. Anyone who is too valuable to be traded for the reigning MVP is surely worth $6 million.

wait what? That can't be real.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Pretty reasonable offer to Ceci from Ottawa. Sursprised he hasn’t signed.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I don't even know why initial offers get publicized. It's just a bargaining process and yes initial offers are always outrageous on one side or the other, and usually both.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I understand the player is supposed to ask for more than what the team is offering but 6M just really makes him look silly... OTT offer looks pretty reasonable to me, maybe make it 4M.

Maybe he's asking for so much because he doesn't want to be there so he's asking for his "f*** it" Price, every body has that Price that you can pay them to do something they don'twant to do but they will.

This could be his "f*** it" price

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad