Confirmed with Link: Coburn Traded to Tampa Bay for Radko Gudas & 2 Picks (1st & 3rd)

MadFerIt95*

The TB fans I talk to on Twitter hate Gudas so Im not going to get too optimistic when it comes to him, although I do like watching big hits and the fact that he is right handed could help us.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Coburn fetched more than any other dman traded at the deadline not named Yandle. If you were hoping for more, you overvalued Coburn. Period.

As for the whole ''our draft picks could turn into players worse than Coburn'' concern, yes that could happen. That doesn't mean you should be afraid to move proven players for picks when your team is trash and in need of a rebuild.

See i don't buy that. Franson and sekera set the market. So if an expiring dman can get a first rounder we all know coburn can as well.

Now look at specifically at LA. They are not a shoe in for the playoffs and may not make it all together and if they do chances are they could be out by the first round.

That first rounder is going to be much higher than Tampa's first rounder.

Roland mckeown has a trade value of a 2nd at the least in this league, so for sake of convienves i am just going to rate that as a 2nd.

So an expiring dman got a first and a 2nd.

Now you have coburn who is a dman that brings more to the table than sekera. YEs he he doesnt score as much but I attribute the difference in scoring to pp time. the even strength pp game is very similar and not enough to give sekera any edge.

If there is an edge between the two its coburn because of his size and skating ability which allows him to be a great defensive dman and a great Pker.

but for sake of comparison lets say the two are the same.

Carolina got a first and a 2nd

WE got a first and a third and gudas.

The big difference here is that coburn has an extra year at a very nice cap hit on his deal and won't be expiring.

so does gudas make up the diffrence of an extra year of coburn and a later draft pick?

I don't think he does. In fact some of the things ive read about gudas are very troubling and compounds the problem we have on the defensive end which is immobility.

So i like the direction the trade puts us in, but in comparison to other trades out there we did ok. Nothing great, nothing bad. Just OK.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The TB fans I talk to on Twitter hate Gudas so Im not going to get too optimistic when it comes to him, although I do like watching big hits and the fact that he is right handed could help us.

wrecking ball.... right handed..... fans hate him..... wonder who that reminds me of.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Great. I'm not saying that Eberle for Coburn was option two and he made the wrong choice. I was using that as a reference because it was a deal that was previously discussed around here. I have no idea if that deal was ever discussed between the two orgs.

You say a player like Eberle then, surely someone or thing was available that you wanted in lieu of Gudas and draft picks.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
See i don't buy that. Franson and sekera set the market. So if an expiring dman can get a first rounder we all know coburn can as well.

Now look at specifically at LA. They are not a shoe in for the playoffs and may not make it all together and if they do chances are they could be out by the first round.

That first rounder is going to be much higher than Tampa's first rounder.

Roland mckeown has a trade value of a 2nd at the least in this league, so for sake of convienves i am just going to rate that as a 2nd.

I wouldn't trade a 2015 2nd for him.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1479615&page=4

Mckeown's trend the past 2 years has been alarming.

Number 2 pick in ohl projected to go top 20 in draft falls into late 2nd round, now this season he continues his decline. Just very weird.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
If we're going to look specifically at LA let's not leave out the fact that the unusual Voynov situation meant they were likely not looking to add anybody who had a significant cap hit next season as well.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
All things equal I would take Sekera over Coburn everyday of the week & like Coburn.

I know you're saying all this to get people riled up like usual so I'll let you continue your work here. :laugh:

im really not trying to get people riled up.

In fact i am trying to do the opposite. Everyone is happy about the trade, and the value we got. I am happy with the direction which this trade indicates we are going, but that is all. IN terms of value i think we should stop jumping for joy and maybe come to our senses and realize its a very fair deal, and it could even be suggested that we left some value on the table.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Sekera is just what LA needed. Coburn is just what TB needed.

Yep and they both should help their clubs. But if Tampa goes out in the 1st round again Steve Yzerman is going to start feeling the heat. That is one reason he over paid for Coburn. Trust me, when Dave Nonis saw what Ron got for Coburn the asking price for Phaneuf shot up and to a small degree that is one reason why he still is a Leaf today. I know it does not mean much, but look up the Flyer's record this year with and without Coburn in the lineup. It surprised me how much better they were with him OUT of the lineup VS in. I wish Coburn nothing but the best. But there is a new "Keith the Thief" in town and Ron Hextall is his name.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
im really not trying to get people riled up.

In fact i am trying to do the opposite. Everyone is happy about the trade, and the value we got. I am happy with the direction which this trade indicates we are going, but that is all. IN terms of value i think we should stop jumping for joy and maybe come to our senses and realize its a very fair deal, and it could even be suggested that we left some value on the table.

There's always going to be people who overrate draft picks that's a given on this board but that doesn't mean it wasn't a good trade. Most were expecting a 1st & something small or a fringe prospect at best we did better than that so I don't think we really left value on the table. I'm not saying it's highway robbery but it's still a pretty good deal for the Flyers.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
I would've assumed a vote as well, but who knows what the actual dynamics in the room are. Maybe Raffl has shown interest and been apprenticed in that spot.

This is from earlier today (Tuesday):

Raffl surprise new NHLPA union rep for Flyers: Luke Schenn will be his assistant. "I don't know about this stuff, so Luke will help.''

Source: Wayne Fish
https://twitter.com/waynefish1

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Yandle got a ton more than Coburn. He returned a 1st/2nd/one of the team's top prospects/and a very solid young NHL defenseman. I'm not expecting that. A 1st/3rd/bottom paid NHLer is nowhere near what Yandle returned. If TBL threw in a prospect or another pick or changed Gudas with a better NHLer, the return would still be nowhere near what Yandle got. Comparing it to Yandle is stupid as I am not saying Coburn should have gotten us what Yandle got the Yotes.

For the millionth ****ing time: I am not saying Coburn should not have been traded, I just think the return should have been more. There is a gamble in trading one of your best defensemen for futures, I would have liked to see more coming to the Flyers in the event those draft picks don't turn into NHLers of similar ilk of Coburn.

I dont know why you wasted your time typing the bolded. Either your reading comprehension sucks or you're just trolling. I know Yandle fecthed more, hence why I said ''every other dman not named Yandle''

Would I have liked to get more for Coburn? Sure. I would have loved if we got TB's 1st rnd drafts picks for the next 100 years, but that's not realistic.

You overvalued him. That's your problem.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yep and they both should help their clubs. But if Tampa goes out in the 1st round again Steve Yzerman is going to start feeling the heat. That is one reason he over paid for Coburn. Trust me, when Dave Nonis saw what Ron got for Coburn the asking price for Phaneuf shot up and to a small degree that is one reason why he still is a Leaf today. I know it does not mean much, but look up the Flyer's record this year with and without Coburn in the lineup. It surprised me how much better they were with him OUT of the lineup VS in. I wish Coburn nothing but the best. But there is a new "Keith the Thief" in town and Ron Hextall is his name.

I like the trades over the weekend but I would hold off on that one considering we have no clue what's going to happen on our end for a while with the picks.

"We've got picks," Hextall said. "We need to make them count now. This is only the first part. That's what excites us, when you're trying to build a top team moving forward. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Yes! Then everyone can be happy that the Flyers have the most draft picks and we can win the draft pick Cup! The dreams of HFBoard posters are finally coming true!

As opposed to the multitude of Cups we've had over the last several decades and the dynasty Paul Holmgren brought us.

I legitimately wonder whether you take the purely contrarian stance to almost everything for your own form of amusement or if you actually believe what you say or if you believe what you say at first then just end up spinning your wheels in an attempt to defend opinions completely opposite to general opinion.

It's strange someone who thinks that Paul Holmgren was always the smartest guy in the room despite never having any kind of plan, doesn't trust Ron Hextall when he does.

Eberle, apparently.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ron can get the thief nickname if he figures out a way to lose some of MacDonald, Umberger, Lecavalier, Rinaldo or Grossmann and not take a loss this summer. Not all of them.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He could easily send Rinaldo to the Phantoms, that doesn't take any thieving.

I think I'd rather have him there than on another NHL team where he could possibly injure a Flyer.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You say a player like Eberle then, surely someone or thing was available that you wanted in lieu of Gudas and draft picks.

There isn't anyone specific, and I have made abundantly clear what I would have liked to see as a return (please refer to prior posts where I respond to the question of what else I would have liked to see and I mention what I would have liked to see and why). The only reason Eberle's name is coming up is because that trade was previously discussed. I do not know his availability and I am not saying Hextall should have traded for Eberle instead and somehow bungled that deal (though, if that was an option, I'd prefer Eberle to the package we got).

I dont know why you wasted your time typing the bolded. Either your reading comprehension sucks or you're just trolling. I know Yandle fecthed more, hence why I said ''every other dman not named Yandle''

I was pointing out that Yandle fetched a ton more than Coburn and that adding another piece would not have suddenly put the two trades on equal footing, which seemed to be the point of your post. If that wasn't your point, then why compare the trade to the Yandle trade? I know Yandle got more than Coburn.

Would I have liked to get more for Coburn? Sure. I would have loved if we got TB's 1st rnd drafts picks for the next 100 years, but that's not realistic.

You overvalued him. That's your problem.

Yes, and asking for a prospect, another pick, or a better NHLer than Gudas is tantamount to some outrageous demand.

If I overvalued him, it was a slight overvaluing, which is pretty good considering the demands people make on trades all over HFBoards (including right here on our very own Flyers board). But whatever, I'm a crazy contrarian.

As opposed to the multitude of Cups we've had over the last several decades and the dynasty Paul Holmgren brought us.

I legitimately wonder whether you take the purely contrarian stance to almost everything for your own form of amusement or if you actually believe what you say or if you believe what you say at first then just end up spinning your wheels in an attempt to defend opinions completely opposite to general opinion.

I don't really know what to tell you. I don't disagree with everything on here, and have been pretty well in the majority as of late. I'm just not as thrilled with this trade as everyone else is, I'm not even really against it. All I said was I was not a fan and I think he could have gotten more. It is not my fault then when I posted this people decided to push it further. I started with a ten word post and people wanted me to explain. I explained (in a completely reasonable and level-headed manner) and apparently that is not good enough. I'm not making outrageous statements saying Coburn should have returned something crazy, I'm just saying I think there could have been another pick, a prospect, or an upgrade on Gudas. But whatever, I'm a crazy contrarian and I am just stoking the fires and pretending to hate Hextall or something like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad