Coach Discussion: Coaching Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Based on your post, you can't credit him for anything - somehow a coach that can do absolutely nothing right, but still manages to hang around as long as he has.

Regardless, I was just having a little fun with Mort - there was really no need for you to prove my point

The Jets have had a decade of mediocre hockey and defensive system yet fans still continue to make excuses for the guy

Don't you ever think it's time to move on and a new hockey mind? Starting with the defensive coordinator

It's incredibly frustrating listening to fans basically tell other fans to just wait and he'll prove us wrong

He does get credit where credit is due here and there, but

He's had one good season and that lead to getting bodied in the WCF
But nah, let's just keep waiting because time isn't ticking or anything

I guess it'll never be on thr coaching and staffinf system and always because of the rosters short comings.
I guess we'll have to wait when the Jets have
This forward group with a defensive core like
Trouba, buff, Myers and Morrissey again
Until then it's on the roster, not the most losingest coach in the history of the sport

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The Jets have had a decade of mediocre hockey and defensive system yet fans still continue to make excuses for the guy

Don't you ever think it's time to move on and a new hockey mind? Starting with the defensive coordinator

It's incredibly frustrating listening to fans basically tell other fans to just wait and he'll prove us wrong

I guess it'll never be on thr coaching and staffinf system and always because of the rosters short comings.
Until then it's on the roster, not the most losingest coach in the history of the sport
My view is that most people overestimate the difference a coach makes. Cooper was pilloried for an underperforming TB team, and then they won the Cup. Heck, Rick Bowness took the Stars to the cup final.

On the other side of the equation, the Jets are in a unique market and can't afford a ton of upheaval in their coaching and management ranks. If the team's core is happy with Maurice, and the team is playing hard, I can see why they'd be averse to the risk of shaking things up. There are plenty of situations around the NHL where instability in hockey ops has had a negative effect on the overall franchise and the ability to retain top players. I'm also pretty sure that it wouldn't take very long for HF Jets to turn on a new coach for any of a number of decisions that are contrary to posters' ideas.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
My view is that most people overestimate the difference a coach makes. Cooper was pilloried for an underperforming TB team, and then they won the Cup. Heck, Rick Bowness took the Stars to the cup final.

On the other side of the equation, the Jets are in a unique market and can't afford a ton of upheaval in their coaching and management ranks. If the team's core is happy with Maurice, and the team is playing hard, I can see why they'd be averse to the risk of shaking things up. There are plenty of situations around the NHL where instability in hockey ops has had a negative effect on the overall franchise and the ability to retain top players. I'm also pretty sure that it wouldn't take very long for HF Jets to turn on a new coach for any of a number of decisions that are contrary to posters' ideas.

So your argument is, changing coaches may not change anything so why bother

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I think that's a very overly simplistic way of boiling down his argument. I read it as a coaching change won't necessarily have as big an impact as many would like it to have.

Yes, so in other words, it may not change anything so why bother trying lol

If coaches don't matter than why bother paying paying millions of dollars

Just a weak argument not to change staff. "it might not change much"..

Reactions: HHel and Eyeseeing

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
While I agree changing coaches can be a bit overrated and many times not bring better results, I still think it can make a drastic difference. Most notably when you likely have what is a legitimate roster that is under performing. Maybe it's catching lightning in a bottle, but a coaching change to an under performing roster can make a worlds difference, I think.

For me pre-Jets going back to 2008-09, Laviolette was fired in December at 12-11-0-2, Maurice hired and took the same identical roster to 33-19-0-5 and a trip to the Western Conference Finals.

2008-09 Pens are 27-25-0-5 under Therrien but 18-3-0-5 under Bylsma and win the Cup.

2011-12 LA doesn't win without firing Murray and hiring Sutter.

2013-14 Jets under Noel were 19-23-0-5 but the same roster under Maurice when he took over was 18-12-0-5.

2015-16 Pens got on track when Johnston was fired and Sullivan hired; won cup.

2018-19 Blues were bad under Yeo, then Berube was hired; won cup.

Barry Trotz in NYI is a classic example of what an elite (though rarely available) head coach can do, the opposite was Doug Weight.

Sometimes I think making a coaching change to the right coach at the right time with the right roster, can make a big, big difference.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I think that's a very overly simplistic way of boiling down his argument. I read it as a coaching change won't necessarily have as big an impact as many would like it to have.

And, is it worth the risk of potentially breaking the better parts of what Maurice appears to have going for him - happy core playing well

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016

I'm taking the high level approach - team appears to be doing OK - I have better things to do that list all the reasons to change something that might not need a lot of change right now

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Yes, so in other words, it may not change anything so why bother trying lol

If coaches don't matter than why bother paying paying millions of dollars

Just a weak argument not to change staff. "it might not change much"..

No one is saying they don't matter and no one is saying why bother trying. You're putting it very black and white when it really isn't.

A) The team is 12-6-1. Even if the metrics don't bear out that record, teams on winning streaks never fire the coach.
B) There are posts that think the only thing standing between this team and a Cup is the coach - while a new coach may bring some improvement, I don't think they're a coaching change away from being vaulted into top tier contender status either.

And, is it worth the risk of potentially breaking the better parts of what Maurice appears to have going for him - happy core playing well

Not when they're winning - obviously if they have a freefall like Vancouver or Montreal, that changes it all.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I will say, given our results to date and the roster, my own opinion is Maurice gets this season to get us back to what is a hopeful long playoff run (2018) and next season to go for it.

If we're not satisfied with our results by the end of next season (2021-22), I think you have to make a change in order to try and capitalize on this core.

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Not when they're winning - obviously if they have a freefall like Vancouver or Montreal, that changes it all.

Of course -
The tide can rise and fall any given day based on a sample the size of a GDT - but I feel like we're heading in the right direction and I'm optimistic.

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm taking the high level approach - team appears to be doing OK - I have better things to do that list all the reasons to change something that might not need a lot of change right now

I don't consider it a high level approach. This whole post is pretentious
You have better things to do yet take the time to reply
Half glass full or half glass empty.. half is half. Hige level approach is just ignoring the reality of the situation. I'd love to live to see the day where Winnipeg is is recognized as the greatest hockey team in North America

This high level approach is just fence sitting

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
No one is saying they don't matter and no one is saying why bother trying. You're putting it very black and white when it really isn't.

A) The team is 12-6-1. Even if the metrics don't bear out that record, teams on winning streaks never fire the coach.
B) There are posts that think the only thing standing between this team and a Cup is the coach - while a new coach may bring some improvement, I don't think they're a coaching change away from being vaulted into top tier contender status either.

No I'm not..he's suggesting a coach may not change much..how else are you supposed to put it? This is why I need a break from the internet. People just want to argue with their own words

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I don't consider it a high level approach. This whole post is pretentious
You have better things to do yet take the time to reply
Half glass full or half glass empty.. half is half. Hige level approach is just ignoring the reality of the situation. I'd love to live to see the day where Winnipeg is is recognized as the greatest hockey team in North America

This high level approach is just fence sitting

Apologies - maybe a bit pretentious.
But the point stands -

You're setting a high water mark and that's fine - but I wouldn't benchmark our current success around being the greatest at some point.
Doesn't leave a lot of room for actually enjoying what the team is bringing now.

And no, the high level approach is simply anther view beyond the approach you are taking. I take it a day at a time actually and I see it coming together nicely.

Reactions: JetsJets

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg

Pretty much disagree with everything you say, but your last comment about Maurice being the "losingiest" coach is grossly out of context. By winning percentage Maurice is 124 of 378 head coaches that have ever stood behind the bench of a NHL game. But what you are saying is he is the "losingiest" coach because he has lost the most games not considering the length of his 23 year career. By this standard you are implying he is the worst coach in history because he has the most loses. But by the same standard the 2nd, 3rd and 4th worst coaches in NHL history are Trotz, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman. Interesting argument you are making.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
So your argument is, changing coaches may not change anything so why bother
And your argument is lets fire our coach when we are 12-6-1 ? If we miss the playoffs then you might move in another direction but no GM is firing a coach when they are winning games unless they are completely stupid and want to get fired too .

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

He's not going to bash his player but man Beau has not been good and he is totally miscast in the top 4 especially as it pushes Morrissey to his offside where he is less effective.

I can't understand the thought process here by the coach especially now that it looks like DeMelo has got his game in order.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
And your argument is lets fire our coach when we are 12-6-1 ? If we miss the playoffs then you might move in another direction but no GM is firing a coach when they are winning games unless they are completely stupid and want to get fired too .

What we need on here -- is a double like button, for exceptionally good posts, that you really like. Maybe put this "double sized" like button, beside the normal sized one. Also the maker of the post, gets 2 like credits, instead of just one. :nod:

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad