Coach Discussion: Coaching thread

YetAnotherGM

Jan 8, 2014
I wouldn't suppose missing one of (and for much of the time both) buff and jomo in the second half of last season had anyghing to do with that? (Lol)

OMG, you are right ....the Jets had to deal with injuries and every other team never had to deal with injuries. Get a grip!.

The same problems this team had last year are evident this year ...predictable power play, struggle to exit the d-zone, allowing lots of shots in the penalty kill etc. The Jets were a one line offensive team because the little, Laine and Conner line was in-effective. Everyone was calling for Wheeler and Scheif to be split up for years. It took an injury to little for them to be split up and Jets suddenly had two very dangerous lines.

Keep using the lack of NHL calibre defencemen to cover for Maurice's inabilty as a coach.

Mbraunm

Oct 19, 2016
OMG, you are right ....the Jets had to deal with injuries and every other team never had to deal with injuries. Get a grip!.

The same problems this team had last year are evident this year ...predictable power play, struggle to exit the d-zone, allowing lots of shots in the penalty kill etc. The Jets were a one line offensive team because the little, Laine and Conner line was in-effective. Everyone was calling for Wheeler and Scheif to be split up for years. It took an injury to little for them to be split up and Jets suddenly had two very dangerous lines.

Keep using the lack of NHL calibre defencemen to cover for Maurice's inabilty as a coach.
I couldn’t agree more!

Furthermore, what we have lost is D-men with both size and enough skill to move the puck. It was purely a coach’s decision to sacrifice skill and puck moving ability in favor of size.

Mauric and Chevy had access to players with at least as much skill but DECIDED to select and play guys like Sbisa, Beaulieu, Dahlstrom and Bitetto instead.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

I've got lots of grips, dude.

If having an ahl d corps isn't a reason to struggle for an nhl coach, what is?

My whole point here is to say that the jets struggleds aren't univariable. The discussion is more nuanced than "bro, we'd be 3x Stanley cup champs if we had a REAL coach that split up 55 and 26 two years ago".

Believe it or not, there are lots of issues at play. Coaching could be better. Defense could be WAY better (personnel wise). Injuries hurt.

It all adds up and takes a toll

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Maurice deserves a lot of scrutiny for some of the challenges this team is facing, there is plenty of justifiable criticism.

To blame him for the blue line and minimize its impact though, is just obtuse.

This is chevys fault. Not maurice.

We should be scrutinizing maurice for not getting us to a cup final again. Not wondering why we will miss the playoffs

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
This is chevys fault. Not maurice.

We should be scrutinizing maurice for not getting us to a cup final again. Not wondering why we will miss the playoffs
Cup Final again? When were we in a Cup final?:sarcasm:
I Wonder why Jon Cooper still has a job?

While I think it’s time for the Jets and Maurice to part ways, he’s not the first or last coach to not take a team to a Cup final that many thought he should. I wasn’t overly surprised the team took a bit of a step back last year tbh. The rise in 17-18 was meteoric for such a young team. It definitely created a sense of false entitlement among a lot of people.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
My criticism of Maurice actually stems more from last year when we had a great, complete team and looked like hell. It’s just magnified this year with our D lacking.

schief two years ago was the 5th best player in the league and laine was a rocket competitor. What the hell happened? Not just to these two players but the whole team? Even Morrissey isn’t playing as well and not all because of his d partner.

we need someone to right this ship because it’s not very fun to watch right now.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Cup Final again? When were we in a Cup final?:sarcasm:
I Wonder why Jon Cooper still has a job?

While I think it’s time for the Jets and Maurice to part ways, he’s not the first or last coach to not take a team to a Cup final that many thought he should. I wasn’t overly surprised the team took a bit of a step back last year tbh. The rise in 17-18 was meteoric for such a young team. It definitely created a sense of false entitlement among a lot of people.

Losing in the WCF I should of said. I worded it wrong

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
My criticism of Maurice actually stems more from last year when we had a great, complete team and looked like hell. It’s just magnified this year with our D lacking.

schief two years ago was the 5th best player in the league and laine was a rocket competitor. What the hell happened? Not just to these two players but the whole team? Even Morrissey isn’t playing as well and not all because of his d partner.

we need someone to right this ship because it’s not very fun to watch right now.

Agree. The team lost it’s spark in the Vegas series.
Do we have personnel issues? You bet.
Have the players long ago given up on this coach’s systems? I think so.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Agree. The team lost it’s spark in the Vegas series.
Do we have personnel issues? You bet.
Have the players long ago given up on this coach’s systems? I think so.

Yes, we are done for the foreseeable future unless big changes happen. Coaching, roster or both. I really dislike just wallowing and doing nothing. Every fan, every media person, probably all coaches/GMs have seen what has happened since our WCF appearance, yet we have done nothing. Not only have we not made changes (that weren't forced), but we haven't changed our special teams or our team systems.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm extremely frustrated with the team, the coaching and the management right now. How can they do nothing for almost two years? They just keep saying the same things and trotting out the same old product hoping something will miraculously change spontaneously.

0cea5417-e0f8-405c-f3f1-08216346cbe7.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad