Coach Discussion: Coaching thread

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Cup winners since 05 lockout (Year coaching)
CAR Laviolette (Y2)
ANH Carlyle (Y2)
DET Babcock (Y3)
PIT Bylsma (In-Season hire)
CHI Quennville (Y2, Y5, Y7)
BOS Julien (Y4)
LAK Sutter (In-Season, Y3)
PIT Sullivan (In-Season, Y2)
WSH Trotz (Y4)
STL Berube (in-season)

somehow Maurice about to finish 7 years with likely moving on from the first round once during his tenure

This is pretty damning to me honestly. Shows proof that all coaches have a rather short shelf life.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
If he was extended, why not announce it? I don't get it.
Management in denial about where the team really is and assumed things would get better when it was clear they would get worse. The deal was probably done before they plummeted in the standings but after they were feeling criticism for poor play. They probably still expected to make the playoffs and thought (incorrectly) they could hold off on the announcement until it was clear they were in the playoffs to avoid a backlash.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
Cup winners since 05 lockout (Year coaching that team)
CAR Laviolette (Y2)
ANH Carlyle (Y2)
DET Babcock (Y3)
PIT Bylsma (In-Season hire)
CHI Quennville (Y2, Y5, Y7)
BOS Julien (Y4)
LAK Sutter (In-Season, Y3)
PIT Sullivan (In-Season, Y2)
WSH Trotz (Y4)
STL Berube (in-season)

somehow Maurice about to finish 7 years with likely moving on from the first round once during his tenure
Wow that's actually pretty interesting. Thanks for the comparisons

Reactions: thegr8one66

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The latest advanced stats summary I saw in the Athletic - the Jets aren't as bad as they have been lately but also aren't as good as they were earlier. I think the wording was moving from "horrific" to "generally bad".

Reactions: Stumbledore

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
The latest advanced stats summary I saw in the Athletic - the Jets aren't as bad as they have been lately but also aren't as good as they were earlier. I think the wording was moving from "horrific" to "generally bad".
Maybe some improvement on special teams? McCurdy's charts still show us moving the wrong direction at 5v5 over the last 25 games.

shotPlot-25-5v5-xG.png

Reactions: hn777

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015

So the "real" Jets are somewhere between our decent-ish December and our historically terrible January. Is that progress?

Nothing like a system that eschews shot-suppression for shot-encouragement -- especially when other teams eschew the perimeter for the slot. It seems that nothing and no one has a clear sense of what the system is meant to achieve, including the players whose job it is to execute it. How do you model chaos?

Stumbledore

Jan 1, 2018
Canada
I am convinced that his extension is already a done deal. Otherwise it would be weird for so many in the media to speculate on that. What a weird thing to speculate on... I have never heard media talking about a coach already being extended. I am pretty sure Friedman and Burke have a source with the Jets that is telling them this.

Agreed.

Reactions: Teemusalami204

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002

Since jan1(last 11 games) 5v5:

31st in xGF% (40.87)
31st in hdcf% (34.88)
31st in SV% (88.42)

3 wins. Stats are as bad as always and the only difference is that the goalies aren't bailing them out anymore.

Edit. Special teams goal differential is also better: +5 after jan1 while it was -7 pre jan1.

Last edited:

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Since jan1(last 11 games) 5v5:

31st in xGF% (40.87)
31st in hdcf% (34.88)
31st in SV% (88.42)

3 wins. Stats are as bad as always and the only difference is that the goalies aren't bailing them out anymore.

Edit. Special teams goal differential is also better: +5 after jan1 while it was -7 pre jan1.

Damning indeed, tho I feel like there's been an uptick in protestations of "hard work," "being in the game," "unlucky bounces," "could have gone either ways" and scapegoating of Ehlers/Roslo.

With a week off we're going to see some quicker feet and better play, IMO, and hopefully a few good wins. It'll be interesting to see if there are any refinements in terms of overall systems/structure, given the constraints on practice time during the ASB.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Damning indeed, tho I feel like there's been an uptick in protestations of "hard work," "being in the game," "unlucky bounces," "could have gone either ways" and scapegoating of Ehlers/Roslo.

With a week off we're going to see some quicker feet and better play, IMO, and hopefully a few good wins. It'll be interesting to see if there are any refinements in terms of overall systems/structure, given the constraints on practice time during the ASB.

The only problem with the time off solution, is that every other team has had time off as well.

(Note: the rest of my rant is not related the post I quoted :) )

I'm finished holding my breath for refinements in our play. We have a very good roster up front and there is no reason in the world for them to playing like crap. None.

How long does it take to fix a PP or defensive structure? I see teams switch within games, and adjust to how their opponent is playing to take advantage and win games. It takes Maurice and the Jets YEARS so far to make changes. It's mind boggling and frustrating.

I'm completely in the 'Done with Maurice' camp now. We are wasting the good years of our core, with no one of their caliber in the pipeline.

I also don't see the point in being happy with getting a high draft pick, because that will be a single player who may take 3 years to develop while we flounder in no man's land.

/rant

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
The Jets have been far off of "league average", even off late. They have bounced back from "13-15 shamelessly tanking Buffalo Sabres" level of bad to "just a typical bottom-5 ish" level bad.

Yep, that's what I said. I was just pointing out that the last four games were bad by even Jets standards.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
More media speculation(Brian Burke on Tim & Did) that Maurice is being extended.

Definitely not going to renew my season tickets if a piss poor move like this is done.
Perhaps both Gallant and Laviolette turned down Chevy's offer to replace Maurice.

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Because it's TNSE and it's none of our business.

The same organization that still hasn't disclosed how much they even paid Maurice on his last contract, nor Chevy for that matter.
Considering how tight walleted Chipman and David Thomson are, Paul Maurice is being paid ashtray money like somewhere around $1.75M to $2.25M per annum.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Scotty bowman wasn't getting this team Chevy assembled into the playoffs but maurice should be fired for not getting them in. No one in hockey picked them to make playoffs. Maybe if Chevy did his job and gave him a playoff team to coach he might have been fired already.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad