Speculation: Coaching Staff

Oil In My Veins

May 27, 2007
Vancouver
www.OilInMyVeins.com
Exactly.

So Krueger gets promoted to head coach, but isn't allowed to pick his own assistants.

Now we're looking at an "associate" coach, but do he and Krueger get a chance to pick assistants?

I just don't get the logic here in co-coaches. And how does Krueger feel about this?

Where anywhere does it say that Krueger isn't involved in this process?

I think some of you are jumping to conclusions here based on nothing.

Krueger was involved in every other interview with players etc. up to this point, so do you really think that THIS is going to be the first situation where he's NOT going to be involved?

How do we know he isn't the driving force behind all of this?

If anything, he's going to be the key piece in convincing the right guys to join the Oilers coaching staff just like every other situation previously.

I highly doubt that Krueger is being told who he's going to be working with and is just sitting there waiting for word on who his assistants are going to be...if that's the case, then Krueger is gone too.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't know if this is old news or not, but Dreger just said on the 1st intermission of the Kings-Hawks game the Oilers have interest in Eakins as Associate Coach. Dreger believes Maurice is a good fit for the Oilers as well.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't know if this is old news or not, but Dreger just said on the 1st intermission of the Kings-Hawks game the Oilers have interest in Eakins as Associate Coach. Dreger believes Maurice is a good fit for the Oilers as well.
I saw that too. I'd imagine Eakins would rather be a head coach somewhere though.

tv14

Cam Dadbot
Feb 12, 2008
Alberta
I might be missing something here, but why would we go after Eakins when we have our own AHL coach in Nelson that we could just promote? I understand going after Maurice as he has experience, but from my view why not give Nelson a fair shake before looking outside the organization? Again, I could be missing some info here, but thats just my feelings.

freedomisamyth

Nov 10, 2010
Exactly.

So Krueger gets promoted to head coach, but isn't allowed to pick his own assistants.

Now we're looking at an "associate" coach, but do he and Krueger get a chance to pick assistants?

I just don't get the logic here in co-coaches. And how does Krueger feel about this?

I'd like to know where you get the idea that he wasn't allowed to pick his own assistants? Has anyone come out and said this? Or are you just assuming that because he went with the same guys that were here before. Couldn't possibly be that he was comfortable working with them and actually wanted to keep them could it?

Everyone here seems to make all sorts of crazy assumptions that have no basis in reality. Everyone just decided that Buchy and Smith are terrible coaches who are only here because they are K-lowe's buddies. Yet, you watch Oil Change and Krueger raves about the job they are doing.

Lastly, an Associate Coach isn't a co-coach. The head coach is the head coach. The associate coach is just the second in command.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I'd like to know where you get the idea that he wasn't allowed to pick his own assistants? Has anyone come out and said this? Or are you just assuming that because he went with the same guys that were here before. Couldn't possibly be that he was comfortable working with them and actually wanted to keep them could it?

Everyone here seems to make all sorts of crazy assumptions that have no basis in reality. Everyone just decided that Buchy and Smith are terrible coaches who are only here because they are K-lowe's buddies. Yet, you watch Oil Change and Krueger raves about the job they are doing.

Lastly, an Associate Coach isn't a co-coach. The head coach is the head coach. The associate coach is just the second in command.

Well, shortly after Mac_t was named GM, at his presser he did say he was going to talk with Krueger to get a feel of what his game plan or what system he plans on implementing for next season will be. If anything, if they hire Eakins or Maurice, my opinion is Krueger could be on a short leash.

Last edited:

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Where anywhere does it say that Krueger isn't involved in this process?

I think some of you are jumping to conclusions here based on nothing.

Krueger was involved in every other interview with players etc. up to this point, so do you really think that THIS is going to be the first situation where he's NOT going to be involved?

How do we know he isn't the driving force behind all of this?

If anything, he's going to be the key piece in convincing the right guys to join the Oilers coaching staff just like every other situation previously.

I highly doubt that Krueger is being told who he's going to be working with and is just sitting there waiting for word on who his assistants are going to be...if that's the case, then Krueger is gone too.

I think he is the driving force behind this, they both worked for Carolina at the same time some years ago. However, management sticks their head in and doesn't let him hire his own assistants essentially undermining him. If we're going to put the full buck on Krueger for the team's failure's at least give him the autonomy to dictate his everyday working environment and colleagues for his best chance at success instead of sticking him with Kevin Lowe's friends.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger 5m
Let's not forget Messier had extensive talks with the Oilers about coaching a year or so ago. He shouldn't be discounted as a NYR candidate.

What does extensive mean?

According to Elliot Friedman tonight on Hotstove, he stated Messier was offered the Oilers head coaching job last summer, but turned it down due to family reasons.

So Krueger wasn't their first choice...now with Mac-T at the helm, I really wonder how safe Krueger is. Like many have stated, he might only have a 25 game leash. As Mac-T said, he's not a patient person.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
According to Elliot Friedman tonight on Hotstove, he stated Messier was offered the Oilers head coaching job last summer, but turned it down due to family reasons.

So Krueger wasn't their first choice...now with Mac-T at the helm, I really wonder how safe Krueger is. Like many have stated, he might only have a 25 game leash. As Mac-T said, he's not a patient person.

And people said they never looked.

Oct 15, 2008

Are you telling me that Mactavish, Quinn, Renney and Krueger, all liked Buchberger so much that they "chose" him over any other possibilities?

If you can find even one instance where a team has went through four head coaches in succession and an assistant was there for the entire time through all four regimes, I will eat a brown banana.

urkel.gif

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I think he is the driving force behind this, they both worked for Carolina at the same time some years ago. However, management sticks their head in and doesn't let him hire his own assistants essentially undermining him. If we're going to put the full buck on Krueger for the team's failure's at least give him the autonomy to dictate his everyday working environment and colleagues for his best chance at success instead of sticking him with Kevin Lowe's friends.

Kreuger was a scouting consultant for the canes while he was coaching in the swiss league, it's unlikely Kreuger had much(if any) contact with Maurice during his time working for them.

I doubt they had even met each other before Maurice's interview with the Oilers this past week, let alone Kreuger pushing to get him hired.

The Perfect Human*

Are you telling me that Mactavish, Quinn, Renney and Krueger, all liked Buchberger so much that they "chose" him over any other possibilities?

If you can find even one instance where a team has went through four head coaches in succession and an assistant was there for the entire time through all four regimes, I will eat a brown banana.

urkel.gif

Dave Lewis was an assistant in Detroit under Jacques Demers, Bryan Murray, Barry Smith, and Scotty Bowman.

Jacques Cloutier was an assistant in Colorado under Marc Crawford, Joel Quenneville, Bob Hartley, and Tony Granato.

John MacLean was an assistant in NJD under Pat Burns, Larry Robinson, Lou Lamoriello, Claude Julien, and Brent Sutter

That being said, all 3 of these teams contended over those periods - this is definitely not a post made to defend Buchberger. Moreso in hope that the poster eats a brown banana

Last edited by a moderator:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Well, I guess somebody is going to be enjoying a brown banana soon.

I guess you could always make banana bread and call it a day.

Njoy Oilers

Aug 6, 2010
Southern Alberta.
Dave Lewis was an assistant in Detroit under Jacques Demers, Bryan Murray, Barry Smith, and Scotty Bowman.

Jacques Cloutier was an assistant in Colorado under Marc Crawford, Joel Quenneville, Bob Hartley, and Tony Granato.

John MacLean was an assistant in NJD under Pat Burns, Larry Robinson, Lou Lamoriello, Claude Julien, and Brent Sutter

That being said, all 3 of these teams contended over those periods - this is definitely not a post made to defend Buchberger. Moreso in hope that the poster eats a brown banana

Over ripe banana's provide excellent brain power. :D

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008

urkel.gif

Brad Shaw, who has been assistant coach under Mike Kitchen, Andy Murray, Davis Payne, and still currently there with Ken Hitchcock.

Do you eat a brown banana for each one we find?

Last edited:

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
Tortorella is awful in every sense of the word, and might be the worst possible fit for a team like the Oilers.

He's unemployed because his personality is **** and his systems are somehow even worse. Although "system" is a generous word for "put Lundqvist in net and have all 5 guys collapse to the slot."

I dont know if Tortorella are the answer for the Oilers, that Hank has saved that team of underperformers for a long time isnt any news.

But torts has made tryout Anton strahlman into a + 20 min stellar defender, he also took back smallish zuccarello and he looked great this season. Some players need their ass kicked to perform and not a kindergarten, i prefer something in the middle.

Comrade Blunderbore

Генерал Файлюра
Mar 30, 2010
КПЗ
wow, you really made a careful bet with banana, IAtL!

i dunno much about Kelly Buchberger and what he brings (not) to the table; but i sure do know that he needs to start shaving his head clean ASAP.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
I dont know if Tortorella are the answer for the Oilers, that Hank has saved that team of underperformers for a long time isnt any news.

But torts has made tryout Anton strahlman into a + 20 min stellar defender, he also took back smallish zuccarello and he looked great this season. Some players need their ass kicked to perform and not a kindergarten, i prefer something in the middle.

i think players like hall and yakupov thrive under a tortorella but i also think they will thrive regardless so im not sure a hard assed loud mouth is the best answer

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS 1m
Rick Bowness will now work with the Tampa Bay Lightning as an associate coach. #RDS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad