Speculation: Coaching Staff

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
Since the seasons end people around the Oilers (mainly Stauffer) have been discussing the likelyhood of bringing in an experienced assistant/associate coach to help out.

One name that's been thrown around is former Oilers employee Rob Daum, but Daum is commited as an assistant coach for the Austrian national team and the Olympics next year.

Another option is long time Predators associate coach Peter Horachek, known for his tactical and strategical prowess, who was let go by the Preds today.

Is Todd Nelson ready to make the jump? He's done well with the troops in OKC.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Sean Simpson would make sense.

Coached the Swiss to 2nd this year

Although I wouldn't like it, Charlie Huddy could also come back, considering our club here.

Seedling

Tier 7 fan (ballcap)
Jul 16, 2009
Canada
So we're hiring our next head coach then. :lol:

I don't care as long as he adds something we do not have. We could use another guy.

Maxxed Out

Apr 29, 2013
Edmonton
If we can't get Quenneville then we should try for Mike Kitchen, their assistant coach. They have experience of bringing young, talented team (through draft) on a successful platform.

Groucho

Tier 1 Fan
Aug 17, 2010
Displaced

md1.jpg

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see the point unless Kreuger is the one that is saying he doesn't want a certain guy and has his own guy in mind.

Turrican*

Plus Bombay already has a history with coaching a "Hall".

Cake eaters.

brandon-adams-mighty-ducks-movie-1992-photo-GC.jpg

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Ideally, our coaching staff would be comprised of

1) the head coach

2) a primary assistant coach or associate coach who is second in command to the head coach, if the head coach is a good cop type of guy, this coach would ideally be a bad cop type, give things a little balance. If the head coach primarily focuses on forwards, this coach would focus primarily on D. The idea is to balance it out a little bit, somebody that will push the head coach to be better. They should have a healthy respect for one another, likely have worked together in the past at some point and are comfortable in knowing how to push each other without crossing each other.

3a) The second assistant coach would have a long track record of success on the penalty kill, like Dave Barr in New Jersey. At every level he's coached going back to OHL, Dave Barr has basically had a penalty kill at the class of the league. Seek out a guy like this. If year in year out he has devised a system that has adapted with changing times and still has the ability to be at the class of his respective league, I think you are pretty safe in selecting a guy like that.

3b) The third assistant coach would have a long track record of success on the powerplay, like Todd McLellan had in every team/league he ever coached in before he was brought on to Mike Babcock's staff. You're looking for someone similar to 3b but just with a different area of expertise.

Ideally, the philosophy of the team and management of individual player is disseminated from the head coach. The head coach sets the culture and how every team member and staff member is dealt with, I think a guy who appears to be great as a "people manager" first and foremost is Paul MacLean, that would be my primary consideration in choosing a head coach - is he a great leader of men. Each "department" would be ceded over to the defensive coordinator/penalty kill coordinator/powerplay coordinator. Obviously, the personalities have to fit, but this is what I believe would be the most ideal set-up. At the end of the day, a team is full of people not just players. This also allows the lower coaches to approach their systems with a more focused and obsessive approach.

Another thing I would LOVE to do is bring over a rising star from Sweden like Roger Ronnberg over (or someone of that ilk, maybe not him in particular, I'd probably have to do a little more research) and have him bring his views and approach to the game to North America and implement some more international philosophies. It can never hurt to bring in new voices and try to innovate.

Last edited:

McBold

Jan 22, 2005
If we get Bombay, maybe he can sway Basil McRae to join our scouting staff. He would be a solid hire.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
What's Guy Boucher doing now?

I want someone that can light a fire under these turkeys. Nothing made me angrier than seeing Hall, Smid, and Petrell as the only players actually giving a ****.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Who out there has ties to MacT or Lowe? That's really the question.

Heard something the other day Pisani is looking for work. Shouldn't be long until he gets hired on for something.

How long until KP back with the Oil?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
What's Guy Boucher doing now?

I want someone that can light a fire under these turkeys. Nothing made me angrier than seeing Hall, Smid, and Petrell as the only players actually giving a ****.

The guy was a one year wonder that had problems getting a better top 6 than ours going.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
@DarrenDreger: Going through old notes. Marlies coach Dallas Eakins is free to consider any NHL coaching gigs. Window opened last night with Marlies loss.

BowDangles

May 2, 2010
Edmonton
@LouisJean_TVA 44m
Source says Alain Vigneault, Rick Bowness and Newell Browne have been fired by Vancouver Canucks.

So when do the Oilers hire him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad