Coaching options if Bruce leaves?

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
I’m all in on Barry Trotz , if Bruce isn’t brought back Aquaman should offer Trotz a blank check

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Subtract a Miller and it already looks grim... Our top 4 defence besides QH is one of the worst looking in the league
Even if Miller is gone, (there's going to be something substantial coming back)..and the D is substandard..Our goaltending is outstanding (although, thats foolhardy to absolutely depend on that)..Throughout the last 57 games ,they played close to a .650 clip...If Boudreau comes back, I expect more of the same.

Miller,Horvat may not replicate their numbers from this season, but I expect improved performances from Boeser,Garland ,Pettersson,Podz, Hogz,OEL.

Despite having players out with injuries and covid protocol this season (especially in january), the team held together very well...(the players have discussed their 'next man up' rally in the dressing room.)

They will be in the bubble area again next season, along with a pack of other teams..They wont be a bottom feeder...Too good for that.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Slightly off topic, but I wonder if a team takes a chance on Travis Green this off season. He has some ties to the Islanders.

Canucks management gave support to Cull and his staff coming back, but some of that had to do with not wanting to be paying coaches not to coach. If Green is hired somewhere that's his money off the books and perhaps a change somewhere else in the organization might come as a result.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
There is actually a riches. Babcock, Quenneville, Trotz, AV, Maurice etc.

Even if we got the 5th guy on that list it would be better than our coach was for 8 years.

Reactions: biturbo19

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Quenneville is not getting a job again. His career is over. Babcock is still living down the embarrassment of mishandling the young Leafs in such a hideous way. Maurice fired himself.

Trotz will obviously get hired somewhere. AV may take a year off or something.

Canucks, and I believe Boudreau will be back, aren’t getting any of those guys. The whole point of Boudreau walking would be to bringing someone who could grow with the team. Gronborg is a good example but there’s so many others.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Because you knew someone had to do this meme.

6fjm3d.jpg

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
A lot people gloss over the fact that the team was unusually healthy this year. Outside of a couple missed games due to covid, there wasn't any serious time missed due to injury. Given the teams history and travel, I don't see this repeating but who knows. (The Canucks man games lost to injury numbers were inflated by Ferland, Sutter, etc.)

Trade Miller in the off season, an injury to Hughes or OEL at some point and things fall apart pretty quickly.

And what do you call Brandon sutter?!? Or Ferdland?!? :sarcasm:

Paulinbc

Sep 5, 2015
They don’t seem to want bb again in the option year. The deal would have been done already. In which case, I’m Hotz for Trotz.
you want defensive structure? There’s your defensive structure.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
A chant was created to do with a coach. Has that ever happened before?

Management are gonna be real liked if you kill the "Bruce there it is".

Idiots

Godkolzin

Oct 19, 2021
Even if Miller is gone, (there's going to be something substantial coming back)..and the D is substandard..Our goaltending is outstanding (although, thats foolhardy to absolutely depend on that)..Throughout the last 57 games ,they played close to a .650 clip...If Boudreau comes back, I expect more of the same.

Miller,Horvat may not replicate their numbers from this season, but I expect improved performances from Boeser,Garland ,Pettersson,Podz, Hogz,OEL.

Despite having players out with injuries and covid protocol this season (especially in january), the team held together very well...(the players have discussed their 'next man up' rally in the dressing room.)

They will be in the bubble area again next season, along with a pack of other teams..They wont be a bottom feeder...Too good for that.

With that lineup, sure... But I expect at least 2 of those names to be gone by season start. They really don't have a choice with the impending cap hell on our non-playoff team.

I don't want us to be a bottom feeder, but I don't see it as an impossibility considering the mess JB left. Gotta start fixing it now instead of going for first round exits and middle round picks. Look where that's got us.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
A lot people gloss over the fact that the team was unusually healthy this year. Outside of a couple missed games due to covid, there wasn't any serious time missed due to injury. Given the teams history and travel, I don't see this repeating but who knows. (The Canucks man games lost to injury numbers were inflated by Ferland, Sutter, etc.)

Trade Miller in the off season, an injury to Hughes or OEL at some point and things fall apart pretty quickly.

Ferland, Sutter, and Keeper were 246 man-games lost.

The top half of the roster, which is :

Pettersson
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Garland

Hughes
OEL
Myers

Demko

... missed about 45 games.

It's unlikely to be that good again next year.

Reactions: rypper and timw33

Tomatoes11

Dec 25, 2021
Ferland, Sutter, and Keeper were 246 man-games lost.

The top half of the roster, which is :

Pettersson
Boeser
Horvat
Miller
Garland

Hughes
OEL
Myers

Demko

... missed about 45 games.

It's unlikely to be that good again next year.

Yup. People are failing to grasp just how poor our current situation is. It's like grimm. Pitch black grimm.

hookshott

Dec 13, 2016
Thinking Lou is after Gronberg as well and knows he needs to make that happen this month in case Boudreau decides to leave and the Canucks go after him.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
With that lineup, sure... But I expect at least 2 of those names to be gone by season start. They really don't have a choice with the impending cap hell on our non-playoff team.

I don't want us to be a bottom feeder, but I don't see it as an impossibility considering the mess JB left. Gotta start fixing it now instead of going for first round exits and middle round picks. Look where that's got us.
Agreed that its a tough spot when you're stuck in the middle of the pack..Too good to be a bottom feeder, and not good enough to be a consistent playoff team..You wind up on that wheel of mediocrity.

I am expecting some names to be gone..Boeser, Garland, Myers..?.I think they are going to take a run at signing Miller....Even with that happening, and this transition period, I'm expecting the team to at least be as good they were this season..A team on the bubble.

Reactions: Godkolzin

deckercky

Oct 27, 2010
Quenneville is not getting a job again. His career is over. Babcock is still living down the embarrassment of mishandling the young Leafs in such a hideous way. Maurice fired himself.

Trotz will obviously get hired somewhere. AV may take a year off or something.

Canucks, and I believe Boudreau will be back, aren’t getting any of those guys. The whole point of Boudreau walking would be to bringing someone who could grow with the team. Gronborg is a good example but there’s so many others.

Maurice decided his time had run out with the Jets. He's still interested in coaching and is a solid enough coach.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
There seems to be a number of good coaches out there...proven vet coaches, AV, Trotz, Julien, Maurice, even Tippett...You cant go wrong with any of these guys.

Still, to me ..Boudreau seems like a fit... the right guy, at the right place, at the right time.

Its starting to sound that he will indeed be back next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad