Coach Discussion: Coaching (Mod warning OP)

Should Paul Maurice be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
We'll get our chance to see that - I'd also like him to be the 'O" guy on D but I don't see a huge window for him offensively. But who knows - give him a shot - he's earned it.

Yup well he will be in a good spot to be stretched offensively this season with a partner he can trust to take care of his responsibilities.

I think if you get him out of his comfort zone enough then hopefully we see a Theodore type player. I think he has it in him but time will tell.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We'll get our chance to see that - I'd also like him to be the 'O" guy on D but I don't see a huge window for him offensively. But who knows - give him a shot - he's earned it.
I think Slamberg taking away minutes from him on the PK might open more PP minutes for JMo.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Slamberg taking away minutes from him on the PK might open more PP minutes for JMo.

Samberg should be taking minutes away from Beau on the PK. Morrissey has been one of our more effective PK defenders and should at least stay on the second unit.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Samberg should be taking minutes away from Beau on the PK. Morrissey has been one of our more effective PK defenders and should at least stay on the second unit.
Fortbort is the type of guy Maurice will most likely play, so that'd mean it's Samberg or Beau in the line-up. Unless someone is playing their off side over Poolman?

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I think Chevy re-signed Boolow because of his work on the PK.
Let Boolow have 2PK time and JMo time on the 1PP.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think Chevy re-signed Boolow because of his work on the PK.
Let Boolow have 2PK time and JMo time on the 1PP.

Well that would be a mistake given Boolow sucks on the PK but it wouldn't surprise me if that is the route Maurice wants to go.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Roslovic centring the 3rd line with Harkins & Appleton. Still 3rd line, but a lot more opportunity than on the shutdown 3rd line with Copp & Lowry.

That depends on how highly you rank Laine. He is not just a top line winger. Those can be 25-25 50 pt scorers, or 60 pt scorers. He is a 40+ goal scorer, maybe a 50 goal scorer. He still has a few too many flaws to use words like generational or even elite. And fixing those flaws may reduce his goal scoring. But even if that happens he should still be a 35 G, ppg winger. I think that kind of winger should and would return a top pairing Dman. Is Laine a half full glass of beer or a half empty glass of beer? That may end up depending on the strength and depth of the other team's D corps and the level of need for scoring.

You have to be careful when assessing the 2015 line. They didn't play together long. After Lowry and Perreault went down it was Apples with Wheeler-Ehlers, and Copp centering Roslovic-Harkins. To Maurice's credit he played Harkins over Bourque, which is not an endorsement for Bourque, but we had a 4th line of Bourque-Shore-Shaw for a good (or mediocre) month.

The 2015 line had 2 good games against Chicago and a L.A team that was in the midst of trading all UFAs and their starting goalie (with Quick out). Had a good but pointless game against Ottawa, so 3 non playoff teams they played well. Got scored against vs. Philly in a game we lost. Eakin was acquired before the Buffalo game, and at one point Harkins was promoted, to generate a goal with Scheifele-Wheeler. By the Washington back to back Eakin was centering Ehlers-Laine, which was going pretty good, and a player like Appleton was moved down to a more suitable 4th line role, over Shaw. Perreault came back to replace Bourque. Lowry came back and took Harkins out of the lineup. Each change continued our winning or point earning ways, minus the Oiler game that Laine sat out.

Lowry is going to get more minutes at centre than Roslovic. And if not Lowry than Copp will. Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic was good line against Calgary in the playins. Hard to say it wouldn't be a better line with Copp instead of Harkins. There's a lot of different line combos that can shake out of the bottom 6. Some can make the team more of a 4 line oriented attack, but Harkins and Appleton are yet to prove they are bigger scorers at the NHL level than Lowry-Copp. If I were a betting man, I would say that Harkins and Appleton still have to prove they can be regular top 9 players, but they will get some looks. Roslovic may play some centre, but I think he is more likely to be a RW, as the RW depth on the Jets is still thin. As it stands he's an injury away from being a top 6 replacement.

I like the Laine and beer reference. Sometimes Laine is a full beer's worth, sometimes Laine gives half a beer's worth, or looks like spilled beer out there. This year might be his final beer with the Jets.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
You have to be careful when assessing the 2015 line. They didn't play together long. After Lowry and Perreault went down it was Apples with Wheeler-Ehlers, and Copp centering Roslovic-Harkins. To Maurice's credit he played Harkins over Bourque, which is not an endorsement for Bourque, but we had a 4th line of Bourque-Shore-Shaw for a good (or mediocre) month.

The 2015 line had 2 good games against Chicago and a L.A team that was in the midst of trading all UFAs and their starting goalie (with Quick out). Had a good but pointless game against Ottawa, so 3 non playoff teams they played well. Got scored against vs. Philly in a game we lost. Eakin was acquired before the Buffalo game, and at one point Harkins was promoted, to generate a goal with Scheifele-Wheeler. By the Washington back to back Eakin was centering Ehlers-Laine, which was going pretty good, and a player like Appleton was moved down to a more suitable 4th line role, over Shaw. Perreault came back to replace Bourque. Lowry came back and took Harkins out of the lineup. Each change continued our winning or point earning ways, minus the Oiler game that Laine sat out.

Lowry is going to get more minutes at centre than Roslovic. And if not Lowry than Copp will. Harkins-Lowry-Roslovic was good line against Calgary in the playins. Hard to say it wouldn't be a better line with Copp instead of Harkins. There's a lot of different line combos that can shake out of the bottom 6. Some can make the team more of a 4 line oriented attack, but Harkins and Appleton are yet to prove they are bigger scorers at the NHL level than Lowry-Copp. If I were a betting man, I would say that Harkins and Appleton still have to prove they can be regular top 9 players, but they will get some looks. Roslovic may play some centre, but I think he is more likely to be a RW, as the RW depth on the Jets is still thin. As it stands he's an injury away from being a top 6 replacement.

I like the Laine and beer reference. Sometimes Laine is a full beer's worth, sometimes Laine gives half a beer's worth, or looks like spilled beer out there. This year might be his final beer with the Jets.

I'll drink to that! A beer that is. Saving my good stuff for watching Laine light 'em up again! Hopefully for the Jets for a loonngg time!

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think our 5 on 5 will improve with DeMelo's and Stastny's addition. Also, tweaking the lineup could result in some improvement.
There is no reason not to have at least a top 5 PP with the talent on this team. Gimme a break. Show some bloody creativity already.
Not sure if it will happen this season with fewer games and him being a rookie but Slamberg and DeMelo are going to be on our 1PK soon.
This will allow JMo to swing down to the 2nd PK and maybe pick up those minutes elsewhere.
Lowry Copper DeMelo Slamberg and Helle could be a deadly 1PK.
My biggest complaint about Maurice is the PP. It has to adapt as other team's adapt defending it. We should have a feared PP with the players on this team.
Oh, it is feared! Thus, all the successful PK units put out against our PP is because of the heavily studied and prepared for practising that has transpired, due to the fear previously. Key is to change our PPl attack and setup to gain the advantage again. Crazy it is now almost 2 seasons since the huge success with mostly the same players. Really only missing Buff from the 18/19 successful part year PPl. Moe is proving a little "slow" in addressing, adjusting and creating new success again.
New season "hope for better" again?

Reactions: Halberdier

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
Wheeler was setting career highs with Scheifele. I expect he felt 55-26 was a better combo than 18-26.

The goal is optimizing the top 6 but a lot of the combos just seem to be putting Laine with Scheifele. It may well be that Laine is better with Scheifele than Wheeler is (I think it's close to even right now, but say Laine is better), but is that the best use of all of the top 6 forwards? Is the gain from putting Laine with Scheifele greater than the loss from moving Wheeler to the 2nd line?

Has anybody given any serious thought to:
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers/ then,
Laine-Stastny-Wheels ??

Reactions: Halberdier

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

The 2015 line didn't play enough games but were successful given the time they got. Its something that should have been stretched out to see if it could remain successful. There was no reason to break it up, Moe could have derived a line around the returning injured players while leaving that line alone.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
The 2015 line didn't play enough games but were successful given the time they got. Its something that should have been stretched out to see if it could remain successful. There was no reason to break it up, Moe could have derived a line around the returning injured players while leaving that line alone.

You have to realize that they were a replacement line. That only had 2 excellent games against subpar teams. Struggled against a playoff team, with a good defense. Add to that our top 6 wasn't clicking at that time. Connor and Laine were struggling together, Wheeler was moved up with Ehlers to Scheifele's line, but Copp was still in the top 6, which wasn't ideal. Getting Eakin to centre Ehlers-Laine gave the team a spark. Keeping Copp and Roslovic in top 9 minutes was sensible.

It's one for the memory bank, as it could be a line to go to for a spark, assuming that Roslovic comes back. I think in hockey there is rarely one consistent winning combination, even Landeskog-Mackinnon-Rantanen have been broken up, and that's about as good of one as I can think. Coaches have to adapt. I have a hard time questioning a coach's decision that still earned us 11 of 14 points when we needed them most. But we having differing opinions on our coach and playing style.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
I think balanced top6 is the main thing to do. Yes EStL was very good in their stint in 17-18. But would like to see how Connor and Wheeler performs with Stastny. I don't have any argument why we woudn't use CSW and EStL if they get equal chance to play. I don't want to see CSW playing 24 mins and EStL 16 min.
Once again, I bring up trying : C-Sch-E/ L-St-Wh!
Here's why? Ehlers can be the carry-the-puck play driver, Scheifele, can concentrate on Center role zone pkay while driving to the net positioning for sniping his deceptive shot, Connor can be KC in hustling to rebounds, loose pucks, offensive tactfullness and getting off quick shots to beat a moving goalie.
They could compliment themselves pretty good with time together building chemistry.
Laine on his off-wing is more lethal and sets up for his lazer blast best, Stats in the middle is the key setup man, play feeder and strong zone player and with Wheels speed and playmaking could find Stats off to the side of draw a pinching Dman in and send a saucer to Laine to blast through everything or feed a following D of our own into the play for further setup.
It might be a new viable, productive way to get the most out of our top 6 with new looks and format to a degree, but still very effective? Could be as refreshing as a couple new high--end additions?

Roslovic should not be anywhere near the top 6. he's been given ample opportunity in a top 6 role and has produced squat. he's a fine 3rd line winger. id like too see Harkins-Copp-Roslovic as a line this year.

GumbyCan2

Jul 7, 2019
Warm & Sunny
First off Ehlers is one of my favourite Jets, and I switch up his Jersey with a Scheifele and Morrissey for games. I agree with you that Ehlers should be one of our go to guys 3-3 and agreed he should replace Connor when the opposition has an empty net as his speed could an occasion make a difference defending. I'd like to see our #2 PP go through Ehlers, rather than him just be a supporting piece. I'd switch out Connor for Stastny on the #1 unit, and then have a #2 unit where Ehlers sets up on the left wall supported by Morrissey with Connor the triggerman on the right side. A mirror image of our 1st unit.
This is all good except for...who Centers 2nd linePPl?
(Lowry again??) No thanks on that.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Has anybody given any serious thought to:
Connor-Scheifele-Ehlers/ then,
Laine-Stastny-Wheels ??

Worth experimenting, though I am little worried about the defensive side of that 1st line. Also there is no physicality on the 1st line in terms of hitting, but maybe that doesn't matter.

I guess Connor-Stastny-Wheeler and Ehlers-Scheifele-Laine (or Laine-Scheifele-Ehlers). Should be tried.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Yes, I know the 2015 line was not together long. I concede the small sample size every time I mention them. If they don't stand up over time, OK. But when you find something that works that well, you stick with it until it no longer works.

Yes Lowry is going to get more minutes than Rosie, or anyone else who is not in the top 6 and sometimes more than some who are. That is what I think is wrong. In spite of his positives, he is a 4th line C. I could see Harkins - Copp - Rosie/Appleton as an alternative to HRA. That line doesn't have to be written in stone, anymore than the Copp - Lowry pairing should be written in stone. I think it is less likely to be successful, but I wouldn't mind trying Harkins - Lowry - Rosie/Appleton either.

None of these players is ever going to shine if they are never given the opportunity. Too many of these possibilities are never tried, or are tried very briefly and discarded regardless of whether they worked or not. It appears that we may lose more players because they feel their careers are being blocked by Maurice. It is unacceptable to be losing good players because the coach won't give them opportunity. Coaches are a dime a dozen compared to players. Or to put it another way, easier to replace 1 coach than a dozen players.

Last edited:
Reactions: surixon

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
I am actually a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything on a potential Lowry extension. Given how much the coach loves him you would have thought that would be on the to do list this offseason.

Given COVID ans his lack of offense you would think Lowry would be jumping to sign an extension for security now.

The coach doesn't write the contracts and Lowry is getting expensive for what he does.
Our center situation is very different now than it was a few months ago - I'm sure the org is rethinking Lowry's role and what they can afford to pay a 4C.
Or blue line also changes things - it's better and depending on what they "might" be trying to do trade wise, could be even better again. This would have a huge impact on our need for a shut down line playing 3rd line minutes.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The coach doesn't write the contracts and Lowry is getting expensive for what he does.
Our center situation is very different now than it was a few months ago - I'm sure the org is rethinking Lowry's role and what they can afford to pay a 4C.
Or blue line also changes things - it's better and depending on what they "might" be trying to do trade wise, could be even better again. This would have a huge impact on our need for a shut down line playing 3rd line minutes.

I agree with all of that. But I am sure there is interaction between coach and GM with regards to what players the coach wants to keep. I am sure Mauroce would be pushing for Chevy to bring back Lowry.

It seems Chevy is angling for more of a skilled top 9 to me and we will just have to see how Maurice deploys his roster next year.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I agree with all of that. But I am sure there is interaction between coach and GM with regards to what players the coach wants to keep. I am sure Mauroce would be pushing for Chevy to bring back Lowry.

It seems Chevy is angling for more of a skilled top 9 to me and we will just have to see how Maurice deploys his roster next year.

He will deploy it exactly the same as other years.

top line the same.second line too. Lowry third line center and fourth line will play 5 min.

It’s been like this every single year. Why would it change now?

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I am actually a bit surprised that we haven't heard anything on a potential Lowry extension. Given how much the coach loves him you would have thought that would be on the to do list this offseason.

Given COVID ans his lack of offense you would think Lowry would be jumping to sign an extension for security now.

Good point about Lowry being motivated to sign. Maybe Chevy is grinding him a bit and that is why we haven't heard anything. Nothing is done yet.

I love Lowry. I don't love the way Maurice uses him. I would like to keep him but I wouldn't want to pay him too much or give him a lot of term. 2 years, 3 max and 3 mil, 3.2 max. With the flat cap, maybe make that 3.0 max.

I'm sure some will say he has earned a bigger raise and I wouldn't disagree. But I think he is a 3 mil player under an 81.5 cap.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Getting rid of Lowry would force Mau's hand on the bottom 6, at least to some extent.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Rather than debate who has moved out due to lack of opportunity so far, lets look at current unhappy players. Laine and Roslovic are already 2 too many. There are more. Copp is another probable.

Yes, you have to work your way up. And that is what players are not being allowed to do with the Jets. The only spots that are available require players who play a checking game. If you are not suited to that role, you don't stand a chance. If you are suited to it, you probably have a ceiling in the bottom 6.

I think there is a pretty good chance that Lowry moves on. Then Gus gets to replace him. Or we manage to keep Copp and Gus plays 4C.

I think superstars are a whole different story. Laine got plenty of ice time last year. Copp was playing top 6. Neither ran away with the responsibilities they were given. Roslovic was unhappy about 4th line roles, he was in the top 9 all year, got PP2 time, didn't hear any complaints at all.

If the only players who moved up required a checking game, Perreault would never be in the top 9. His checking game is gone. We'd have had guys like Lipon and Suess in 4th line roles, instead of Roslovic, Petan, Dano. Right now the struggle is to find effective PKers beyond Copp, Lowry and Appleton, that's more of an issue than people want to talk about, as our skilled guys have not been very good at it. Wheeler and Connor at least produced goals to somewhat counteract their high goals against.

I think Lowry is by far the most underrated player on these boards because of advanced stats. The quality of matchups he takes and the difference he makes, while not on the scoresheet, is lost in translation. Being a prairie boy, with his dad coaching in Brandon, I'd say there is a good chance he re-signs, while Copp moves on to a place where he gets a better paycheque. Gustafsson will be allowed time to grow into a pro.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Good point about Lowry being motivated to sign. Maybe Chevy is grinding him a bit and that is why we haven't heard anything. Nothing is done yet.

I love Lowry. I don't love the way Maurice uses him. I would like to keep him but I wouldn't want to pay him too much or give him a lot of term. 2 years, 3 max and 3 mil, 3.2 max. With the flat cap, maybe make that 3.0 max.

I'm sure some will say he has earned a bigger raise and I wouldn't disagree. But I think he is a 3 mil player under an 81.5 cap.

I think COVID has put breaks on a potential raise for him. I can't see him getting more then what he is currently making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad