Coach Discussion: Coaching (Mod warning OP)

Should Paul Maurice be fired?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
one argument could be spreading out the line-drivers. Ehlers was still 4th of the fwds in 5v5 toi/gp, so it's not like he's getting completely wasted.

i just think when you have a player this productive, and efficient at putting up points, and drawing pp's (we've been a PP dependent team for nearly 2 years now), i think he should be playing more.

Agreed! Like I said, I really have no issues with his 5v5 usage. It's special teams and his overall role I think is being misused. The tying goal against toronto some years back is a great example imo. Draws a whole team with a fake slapper and sets up Laine. He adds some creativity I don't think other Jets do (hopeful Perfetti will) which is on full display on that goal. I think most other players take that slapper and hope for a rebound.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I don't disagree at all and don't have any line complaints (especially with Stas arriving). If we look at 5v5 distribution among the top 6 it's very even and Paul actually did a good job last season.

My biggest grief with his usage is 5v4 and 3v3 as well as using him in critical game situations. Before the arrival of Connor/Laine he was used on pp1, 3v3 and in the dying seconds of close games. IMO he didn't do anything that justified him losing those roles and outside of Laine on PP those two players haven't done much to "earn" slotting in before him. I'm obviously very biased but his usage is still a bit puzzling to me. One could argue he is a smaller guy and would be more injury prone but then what about Connor? I've come to the conclusion (rightly or wrongly) that Paul just doesn't like the type of game he plays and I think specifically the risks he takes. Now that's entirely fair and his prerogative but seems like a waste when you are paying the guy 6 mil a year and in need of defensemen.
First off Ehlers is one of my favourite Jets, and I switch up his Jersey with a Scheifele and Morrissey for games. I agree with you that Ehlers should be one of our go to guys 3-3 and agreed he should replace Connor when the opposition has an empty net as his speed could an occasion make a difference defending. I'd like to see our #2 PP go through Ehlers, rather than him just be a supporting piece. I'd switch out Connor for Stastny on the #1 unit, and then have a #2 unit where Ehlers sets up on the left wall supported by Morrissey with Connor the triggerman on the right side. A mirror image of our 1st unit.

DashingDane

Dutch boy
Dec 16, 2014
Los Angeles
First off Ehlers is one of my favourite Jets, and I switch up his Jersey with a Scheifele and Morrissey for games. I agree with you that Ehlers should be one of our go to guys 3-3 and agreed he should replace Connor when the opposition has an empty net as his speed could an occasion make a difference defending. I'd like to see our #2 PP go through Ehlers, rather than him just be a supporting piece. I'd switch out Connor for Stastny on the #1 unit, and then have a #2 unit where Ehlers sets up on the left wall supported by Morrissey with Connor the triggerman on the right side. A mirror image of our 1st unit.

I'm fully expecting that pp2 setup as well and am actually excited to see him and Connor as the go to guys! Only issue is the pessimist in me says that unit continues to only get 10-15 sec of the powerplay in which case it doesn't really matter who is out there.

3v3 I'd like to see Scheif/Ehlers, Stas/Connor and Wheels/Laine (in that order). Connor and Ehlers really need to both be used more in all 3v3 and 4v4 situations with their speed and puck handling at speed.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I'm fully expecting that pp2 setup as well and am actually excited to see him and Connor as the go to guys! Only issue is the pessimist in me says that unit continues to only get 10-15 sec of the powerplay in which case it doesn't really matter who is out there.

3v3 I'd like to see Scheif/Ehlers, Stas/Connor and Wheels/Laine (in that order). Connor and Ehlers really need to both be used more in all 3v3 and 4v4 situations with their speed and puck handling at speed.
Agreed that the #1 and #2 units should have as much balance on time as possible.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I don't dislike Roslovic I just don't think he is anything special as a player. He is a 3rd line winger that can occasionally get hot. I've long ago given up that he will be more than that. I soon expect for Chevy to put the squeeze on his RFA bridge deal to make him as tradable as possible and for him to be moved sometime in the next year.

I still think he can become a competent second line player but we have more talented players then him on the team and in the system so I expect he is squeezed out here and traded this summer. He is yet another player we have that would likely really benefit by a coach who would run more of a two-way third line.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I still think he can become a competent second line player but we have more talented players then him on the team and in the system so I expect he is squeezed out here and traded this summer. He is yet another player we have that would likely really benefit by a coach who would run more of a two-way third line.
I have a hard time blaming the coach for every player that doesn't develop ideally. The same coach was in charge as Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Lowry, Copp, Morrissey, Pionk, Poolman, Helly developed well. Some didn't develop as well like Petan, Niku, Roslovic. Personally I put more on the players even if I'm not onside with every move Maurice makes.

Reactions: Jets 31 and Ducky10

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I have a hard time blaming the coach for every player that doesn't develop ideally. The same coach was in charge as Scheifele, Connor, Ehlers, Laine, Lowry, Copp, Morrissey, Pionk, Poolman, Helly developed well. Some didn't develop as well like Petan, Niku, Roslovic. Personally I put more on the players even if I'm not onside with every move Maurice makes.

I really only have issues with how he uses players that don't easily fit into a defined role. He has issues with those types of players as he has a pretty rigid set of roles he wants filled on his playing roster so you will have a the players not good enough for the top 6 asked to really alter their games.

As far as the good players I think it might be fair to ask if development has stalled a bit. Some have gone backwards in their ability to play sound defense and in their ability to drive play. To me some appear way to complacent.

As mentioned I feel this is an important year for Maurice. The roster should be good enough for him to compete with and he is going to have come up with new things to really optimize what we have this season.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Wheeler was setting career highs with Scheifele. I expect he felt 55-26 was a better combo than 18-26.

The goal is optimizing the top 6 but a lot of the combos just seem to be putting Laine with Scheifele. It may well be that Laine is better with Scheifele than Wheeler is (I think it's close to even right now, but say Laine is better), but is that the best use of all of the top 6 forwards? Is the gain from putting Laine with Scheifele greater than the loss from moving Wheeler to the 2nd line?

A big part of Wheelers career years were Laine putting up 36 and 44 goals and the bulk of them being on the PP.

The Jets have been a mostly 1 line team. Even if what you said above is accurate(which again I question), would not having a second line that actually gelled and had offensive production not be for the betterment of the entire team?

Reactions: PhilJets and DeWho

pucka lucka

Apr 7, 2010
Ottawa
I really only have issues with how he uses players that don't easily fit into a defined role. He has issues with those types of players as he has a pretty rigid set of roles he wants filled on his playing roster so you will have a the players not good enough for the top 6 asked to really alter their games.

As far as the good players I think it might be fair to ask if development has stalled a bit. Some have gone backwards in their ability to play sound defense and in their ability to drive play. To me some appear way to complacent.

As mentioned I feel this is an important year for Maurice. The roster should be good enough for him to compete with and he is going to have come up with new things to really optimize what we have this season.

The PoMo era needs to come to an end. I hated it the day it started. It's gone just as predicted. Why is everyone OK that outside of Wheeler, Schefeile and Connor is a bad player that plays wrong and needs to be transformed into something less talented and low risk? It's f***ing insane.

A mediocre coach has delivered mediocre results. The big difference in Winnipeg over Carolina is hockey fans here pay much closer attention.

Scheifele55

Jun 22, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
And all of it is speculation. There isn't even a strong basis for the speculation.

I think Scheifele and Wheeler want to play together - having nothing to do with playing or not playing with Laine except that it precludes either of them playing with Laine.

If that is the case, then why not play Laine at LW and move Connor down? Laine plays LW on the power play.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If that is the case, then why not play Laine at LW and move Connor down? Laine plays LW on the power play.

Laine played LW in Europe. There was some whining here when Maurice moved him to RW. Not from him, just here. I suspect that he may have asked Maurice to play him at LW. That was tried, I think last year but not sure, maybe the year before. It didn't last long, maybe 2-3 games. He was really bad there. I haven't seen much mention of it since.

He doesn't play LW on the PP. It is more like LD - without the D. :laugh: PP is a whole other story where we ice 4 F's and only 1 Dman.

I think the problem goes away if the Stastny experiment succeeds. 5v5 time between our first 2 lines becomes closer to an even split.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
The PoMo era needs to come to an end. I hated it the day it started. It's gone just as predicted. Why is everyone OK that outside of Wheeler, Schefeile and Connor is a bad player that plays wrong and needs to be transformed into something less talented and low risk? It's f***ing insane.

A mediocre coach has delivered mediocre results. The big difference in Winnipeg over Carolina is hockey fans here pay much closer attention.
The message from other teams when he was hired included words like "mediocre" and "almost"

Also here is a call for his firing from the hockey writers in the form of a mad lib:
Maurice’s deficiencies have become transparent. Veterans seem to get a free pass with him, as____ continue to log big minutes despite their blatant inadequacies while younger players take a back seat. His constant line-juggling has given the ___s very little chance to develop chemistry with one another. Maurice actually made the right call to ____ only to push him back ____ several games later despite ____ improved play. The line of _____was far and away the most productive line ____ had this year, but they’ve been broken up.
One of the biggest and most consistent criticisms of the _____s this season has been their lack of emotion on the ice. They need a passionate, fiery coach who they can emulate. Maurice isn’t that guy.

Imcanadianeh

Nov 1, 2015
Laine struggles mightily the get to puck out of our zone at RW I can only imagine how much worse it would be if he was on his off hand.

Reactions: DRW204

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The message from other teams when he was hired included words like "mediocre" and "almost"

Also here is a call for his firing from the hockey writers in the form of a mad lib:

Come on, how can anyone say this guy isn't fiery and passionate? :laugh:

tenor.gif

Reactions: Neuf and Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Roslovic and Connor were very good together in their short time on the Moose, i know that's the AHL but they did play very well with each other.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Just wondering...
If/when a player gets called up or sent down, who makes the call?
Same question as per the end of TC?
Chevy? Maurice? By committee?
At the end of TC does Maurice give Chevy his suggestions and Chevy takes it from there or???

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Just wondering...
If/when a player gets called up or sent down, who makes the call?
Same question as per the end of TC?
Chevy? Maurice? By committee?
At the end of TC does Maurice give Chevy his suggestions and Chevy takes it from there or???

It's gotta be a collaboration - Mo makes up the lines and if someone is out and there is a shift in the line up, Mo needs to communicate his needs to the GM.
But I do believe the GM is the one who pulls the trigger.
In the end, you have to think these guys are working together in making these decisions

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It's gotta be a collaboration - Mo makes up the lines and if someone is out and there is a shift in the line up, Mo needs to communicate his needs to the GM.
But I do believe the GM is the one who pulls the trigger.
In the end, you have to think these guys are working together in making these decisions

I believe that there is a lot of collaboration but I think Moe has said that Chevy makes final call on the roster due to things like contracts etc.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Thanks for the responses.

So, it's entirely possible that Maurice wanted to keep KC and Chevy sent him down?
That seems like the more likely scenario to me.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Thanks for the responses.

So, it's entirely possible that Maurice wanted to keep KC and Chevy sent him down?
That seems like the more likely scenario to me.

Absolutely, when it comes to top prospects Chevy needs to balance optimal development with trying to win now whereas Maurice is more concerned with winning now.

Reactions: 10Ducky10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad