Coaching Discussion: Jon Cooper - Part 2

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hopefully they suck less next year since they will be on tv contract. NHL Tonight was great back in the day, but they've gone downhill since then.

Yeah maybe you're right. So far ESPN's analysis of hockey is "I know the puck is black" and to say I'm reluctant to even give them a dime is an understatement. Maybe things have changed and maybe for the better

Zwui21

Aug 31, 2019
The last bit where Coop, with what seems to be some kind of watery eyes, says "'cause this ain't over yet. But f***ing rights you guys are special."
I truly felt that. Holy f***.
Let's close it out tonight boys.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
When I saw that tweet involving the gum comment, I immediately thought about our gum jokes and memes here. He's onto us.

Coop - if you're reading this, let the record show I've never said a bad word about you. Definitely never bad mouthed you, criticized you for getting worked over by opposing coaches in the playoffs, complained when you got a contract extension and then got swept in the first round...none of that ever happened.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: CupsOverCash

PJ817

Jan 27, 2019
Been gone a bit - busy with some rink time :naughty: and a little thing about a cup or silver thingy

I was 1000000% on the #FireCoop starting in late 2016 when it was clear, imo, that he'd lost the locker room; when they traded Boyle it went to 100000010% and then in 2019, it went to infinity and beyond.

Vegas friends asked me about Pete DeBoer and I said the difference that I see between that coach Coop is the following:

Coop was not changing a damn thing during the prime years of our core; he went with the same ole, same stuff and other coaches caught onto it; he got his chops busted up by Trotz and then Torts manhandled him "that" year

what'd Coopdapoop (my term until --- I'll get to it) do?

He changed. He grew, I believe, as a coach; he learned from his mistakes, changed his tactics and wallah?! We had Cup #1.

Coop - always affable, always humble - became less milquetoast and more fire. Maybe he was always that way - but that's not what I heard from people who would know.

Coop learned from his lazy, lack of line changes and lack of "anything" to make the other coaches start guessing at what he'd do next.

That Coop just won Cup #2.

Pete DeBoer? Too arrogant, too head strong, thinks he knows it all. Don't think he'll change. And it's why, imo, VGK will not win the cup with him as coach.

Last, Coop poking fun at standing around gum-chewing was funny once - it poked fun at all of us who slammed him on Twitter, reddit, IG, LinkedIn and anywhere else. He got to laugh in our faces and hoist the cup.

It's not funny anymore and honestly, it's beneath him to keep thinking it is.

I no longer detest Coop - I like this fire and brimstone coupled with even keel coach. I'd actually probably choke on my vomit and say, I like the guy. I like that he was willing to change and therefore, so am I.

PS: If JBB brings back my fave player, I'm taking out a full page ad in TBT to apologize and thank him for not flying a kite in a thunderstorm :D

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
*Remembers back to the good old days when I was the stupid one for defending him against years of mentally soft rosters with garbage chemistry at forward prior to the Point Era and poor defensive attacking prior to Cernak and Sergachev's maturation and were otherwise unfit to execute the systems he implemented*

Kiss my asterisks boys

/heel turn

Reactions: Hoek

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think it's fun to say ironically. He's gonna have to miss the playoffs like two seasons in a row at least to get canned now I would think, or a longer trend of relative mediocrity.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

DMB06

Jun 3, 2015
We have to be honest about Cooper. We had two ECF collapses, with a season of missing the playoffs between them, followed up by our first round choke against Columbus. Not one single person would have been surprised if Cooper was fired after that series. Many coaches across all sports have been fired for less, it's a small miracle he wasn't shown the door and honestly, at the time, would have deserved it.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
You've got to give it both to Cooper and the front office, because Coop tremendously improved since the CBJ collapse and Vinik/Brisebois stick to him knowing he was still, in fact, on a learning curve.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->