Coaches

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
I think the new guy Gruden should get Pulock working in some kind of off-season training program to work on his PP skills.

Gruden's PPQB Camp if you will.

(I'll show myself out)

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Mitch Korn has been semi retired. I believe he didn’t travel with the team in Washington and was considered the “ head of goaltending” while the caps had another everyday coach.

I’d still love to get Korn in here in a similar capacity. The guys a guru.
I think the expectation is that if Korn comes aboard (with NYI or WASH) it would be as a consultant/overseer and there would be an everyday goalie coach. So I don't think this hire has any impact on Korn coming or not, unless this new guy is considered so good that Korn isn't deemed necessary.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think the expectation is that if Korn comes aboard (with NYI or WASH) it would be as a consultant/overseer and there would be an everyday goalie coach. So I don't think this hire has any impact on Korn coming or not, unless this new guy is considered so good that Korn isn't deemed necessary.

Yeah. That’s pretty much what I was getting at. Still wouldn’t mind Korn coming in as the director of goaltending

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Gomez was the only successful coach in terms of having a trackable stat of success. PP was top 10, only one left.

Think he stays?

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
Delete wrong board. Thought I was on the mains. Sorry guys.

Well, since I'm here anyway, Sparks DID have a pretty great season in the AHL last season for the Marlies so if things were as bad goaltending wise as what some of you guys are saying then it certainly won't hurt. Sparks heaped a lot of praise on him when he won goaltender on the year for the Marlies last season.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Maybe someone said Hunter was coming soon.

According to Ryan Pyatt who is very aware of Mark Hunter being he writes for the London Free Press. Hunter has many offers to consider but he is not in a position to be desperate for a job.

Where will former Maple Leafs assistant GM Mark Hunter land? Many in hockey — and London — have wondered since his contract with Toronto expired a week-and-half ago. There are, as expected, NHL offers on the table for him to consider. He is in a strong position right now. If one of those jobs aren’t the perfect fit, he can stay and help the Knights again on a full-time basis. But with his ability and experience, he belongs in the big leagues .

Knights forward lands fill-in role at world showcase tourney

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
Delete wrong board. Thought I was on the mains. Sorry guys.

Well, since I'm here anyway, Sparks DID have a pretty great season in the AHL last season for the Marlies so if things were as bad goaltending wise as what some of you guys are saying then it certainly won't hurt. Sparks heaped a lot of praise on him when he won goaltender on the year for the Marlies last season.
The Isles goaltending numbers last year we’re abominable. Unusually so. Greiss pulled a .892 and the last time was under .900 prior to that was his first year in the league. I know a lot of people wanted to bury him here but it was extremely unusual. If things are back to normal, both goaltenders should be close to .915.

Reactions: JadedLeaf

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
So now Trotz is the head coach, Lambert is the associate coach (which I assume is like the top assistant), Gruden will work with the defense, and Gomez will work with the forwards. Greco will work with the goalies.

I like the way that looks a lot more than last season.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
So now Trotz is the head coach, Lambert is the associate coach (which I assume is like the top assistant), Gruden will work with the defense, and Gomez will work with the forwards. Greco will work with the goalies.

I like the way that looks a lot more than last season.
People get hung up on names like Korn, but these guys are good. You can maybe question Gomez's coaching ability but all the others have proven coaching success. Miles better than last year where we had an incompetent head coach and abysmal PK and Goalie coaching

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
People get hung up on names like Korn, but these guys are good. You can maybe question Gomez's coaching ability but all the others have proven coaching success. Miles better than last year where we had an incompetent head coach and abysmal PK and Goalie coaching

Gomez is insulated by real coaching talent now too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riseonfire

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Went from possibly JTraitor, Kovy, top 4 D, korn, and a few trades to this. Aiy.

At least we have Trotz. Lol.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Who reported we were close to Korn?

Since our great draft, everything has gone sour.
Mitch Korn already stepped back from day to day coaching last year with the Capitals and was "Director of Goaltending" instead, as he wanted to cut back on the schedule demands of a full time goalie coach. So it's unlikely he was ever interested in this particular position, and still possible that he's in the running for a similar role with the Islanders as he had last year with the Caps.

That said, Greco seems a little green, but has already shown a lot with Sparks, so hopefully we grabbed an up and comer that is ready for the next step. At the very least, he can't be worse than Brathwaite.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Weird that we have a goaltending director and a coach.

In a good way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad