Coachella Firebirds: News and Discussion

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This was such a good game 7, it’s a shame the Firebirds couldn’t pull it off. The Bears had the advantage of being a much more established team, so hard to get mad about the outcome.

I really like Daccord as a potential backup for the Kraken going forward. The dude has been so good in the AHL for them. Beyond that, watching Evans makes me so excited for him going forward. The Kraken PP is going to be lethal when he comes up.

fivehole32

Kicking rebounds to the slot
Jan 11, 2015
Great game and great atmosphere. The third period looked like a team of scared young kids that gave up a two goal lead. Had they gotten a cycle game going in the third, I think the ending may have been different. Instead they pressed the play and handled the puck like a live grenade.

Evans is a gem. He has a very accurate first pass, but he can also carry it out of trouble if he has to.

Wright needs some seasoning. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't start down here next year.

Daccord will be in the NHL next year whether it is backing up in Seattle or somewhere else. His GF is a nurse and I know she quit her job here locally at the beginning of the playoffs telling someone I know at the hospital that they are expecting to move.

Extremely bummed out, however a great start to getting an area crazy for hockey.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
This was such a good game 7, it’s a shame the Firebirds couldn’t pull it off. The Bears had the advantage of being a much more established team, so hard to get mad about the outcome.

I really like Daccord as a potential backup for the Kraken going forward. The dude has been so good in the AHL for them. Beyond that, watching Evans makes me so excited for him going forward. The Kraken PP is going to be lethal when he comes up.
I like Daccord, but I was a little too worried last game, seeing how often he leaves the net to make plays. Does he normally play that way?

Reactions: brewski420

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I like Daccord, but I was a little too worried last game, seeing how often he leaves the net to make plays. Does he normally play that way?
Yes He gets a little reckless for my liking at times. He does handle the puck pretty well but gets over confident.

I thought Wright played a strong game. Seems like he was getting sheltered by HCDB for whatever reason imo.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yes He gets a little reckless for my liking at times. He does handle the puck pretty well but gets over confident.

I thought Wright played a strong game. Seems like he was getting sheltered by HCDB for whatever reason imo.
Yeah. He looked solid whenever on the ice. I get the coaches not wanting to play a 19-year-old in game 7 that much but I am really hoping he can get more playing time next season. He has got better with the playoffs.

Reactions: brewski420

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Very true. You need a balanced roster, which is what I think the Kraken are trying to create. Kraken were lucky to have a guy like Gourde available and they need to develop some younger versions of him and other 2-way pests to balance out the Beniers type top end guys.
It also serves as a better building model when it comes time to balance the salary cap. Big "talent" means big money, and you don't want to end up being the Leafs with not enough money left over to round out a roster properly.
People need to be careful assuming AHL stars will instantly be NHL players. There are quite a few goalies in play this off season and I wouldn't make the assumption that Daccord is a good enough back up.

All that being said though, there's talent on the Firebirds roster and really, what more could you ask for from such a new team? the future is bright.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
Very true. You need a balanced roster, which is what I think the Kraken are trying to create. Kraken were lucky to have a guy like Gourde available and they need to develop some younger versions of him and other 2-way pests to balance out the Beniers type top end guys.
It also serves as a better building model when it comes time to balance the salary cap. Big "talent" means big money, and you don't want to end up being the Leafs with not enough money left over to round out a roster properly.
People need to be careful assuming AHL stars will instantly be NHL players. There are quite a few goalies in play this off season and I wouldn't make the assumption that Daccord is a good enough back up.

All that being said though, there's talent on the Firebirds roster and really, what more could you ask for from such a new team? the future is bright.

It’s a much different look than Vegas, who sure, got a Stanley Cup, but they definitely sacrificed their future for it. Their prospect pool is not good.

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
It’s a much different look than Vegas, who sure, got a Stanley Cup, but they definitely sacrificed their future for it. Their prospect pool is not good.
It's surprising that their goaltending wasn't their Achilles heal but their D was so good and what they had rose to the challenge and I think gained new confidence behind that D. Those guys like Brayden McNabb are underrated and Pieterangelo is near flawless in his defensive game. Very solid D. Eichel seized the moment, and of course they spent way over cap with their Tampa style shenanigans.

It was surprising to hear that they only had 1 of their own draft picks on their roster and you're absolutely right, they will have a hard time keeping their window open.

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
It's surprising that their goaltending wasn't their Achilles heal but their D was so good and what they had rose to the challenge and I think gained new confidence behind that D. Those guys like Brayden McNabb are underrated and Pieterangelo is near flawless in his defensive game. Very solid D. Eichel seized the moment, and of course they spent way over cap with their Tampa style shenanigans.

It was surprising to hear that they only had 1 of their own draft picks on their roster and you're absolutely right, they will have a hard time keeping their window open.

And they won't care one bit.

At the end of the day winning the cup is exactly what every team tries to do and every owner, front office, coach and player tells you to be their goals.

The Vegas owner said "Cup in six" and kept his word and now they have their name(and the players) on that thing forever.

I hope we can find a way to make that happen as well, fully understanding how tough that is and that we couldn't get as much from the expansion draft as Vegas got.

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
And they won't care one bit.

At the end of the day winning the cup is exactly what every team tries to do and every owner, front office, coach and player tells you to be their goals.

The Vegas owner said "Cup in six" and kept his word and now they have their name(and the players) on that thing forever.

I hope we can find a way to make that happen as well, fully understanding how tough that is and that we couldn't get as much from the expansion draft as Vegas got.
I agree with that. You win the cup, your talked about in the city forever. I'd take a stanley cup, super bowl, world series win now even if it meant stinking or being mediocre for the next decade.

Heck Pete Carroll survived a lot of bad drafts and mediocrity after the super bowl win. Last season was their best draft in years partly due to Wilson leaving but before that it wasn't great.

Only issue is if you gamble and don't win. Very much either going to look like a genius or idiot.

Reactions: Hocktopus

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
Should be interesting to see how Acrisure fares with all the water that will be gushing down the Coachella Valley. There's a huge wash on the south side of 10 that runs east and it's flooded several times in the last 5 years.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014
Has anyone heard what’s up with Tucker Robertson? He was sent to coachella valley after Kraken camp but has yet to play an AHL game. Healthy scratch or hurt?? Thanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad