Coach Willie Desjardins Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Does he have one year left on his contract? Or is this the last year?

Either way, fire him and get Travis Green up here STAT

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Does he have one year left on his contract? Or is this the last year?

Either way, fire him and get Travis Green up here STAT

You do realize Travis Green coaches the exact same way, right?

I don't get what people expected. We hired a rookie coach and essentially gave him a line of kids, underperformers and aged veterans. What the hell is he supposed to do? Go watch Montreal for a while. A few games of Michel Therrien will have you appreciating what an actual incompetent coach looks like.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I don't get what people expected. We hired a rookie coach and essentially gave him a line of kids, underperformers and aged veterans.

While true, you also have to take into consideration that we hired Desjardins out of Dallas' farm system. If we're going to employ this type of coach, I'd rather it be the guy that's familiar with and coached the young players coming up through our system, rather than the guy who asks the GM to go and get him some of his former Medicine Hat players from other organizations.

Also you say he coaches the exact same way... I can't say I've exactly been watching the Comets, but apart from the farm club mirroring the pro club how can you say he'll coach exactly the same (ex: 1-2-3-4, no zone starts, etc) when both guys have come up through different organizations? Green went from the Portland Winterhawks to the Utica Comets, Desjardin from Medicine Hat to the Texas Stars.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

I don't get what people expected. We hired a rookie coach and essentially gave him a line of kids, underperformers and aged veterans. What the hell is he supposed to do? Go watch Montreal for a while. A few games of Michel Therrien will have you appreciating what an actual incompetent coach looks like.

Lol...I don't see much correlation between the way the two guys coach....Comets appear to have an real system of zone exits; and Green actually tries to get the line match-ups he wants, particularly on home ice...and virtually every player that plays under him gets better...he's worked with wonders with so many prospects in Utica it's time he was given the same opportunity in VanCity.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

so you're saying Willie D is competent?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Normally I[m indifferent to coaching decisions...in terms of overall impact it's usually a big meh...sort of like replacing Carlyle in TO with Peter Horachek, or tying a can to Todd Richards for Torts in Columbus....but in VanCity I believe a coaching change would actually make a world of difference...that's just how bad this guy is.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow!...and I doubt these guys have even been following the HF boards for the last year and half....if Willie drives the commentators nuts, what's it doing to the Canuck faithful or even the players?...Come on Jimbo, gong this guy.:help:

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
After today's microphone leak, I think he's toast, and that Travis Green will replace him. Not mid-season, though. They're gonna let things ride out.

I sympathize with him because he's a teacher and social worker by training - a totally good dude who has toiled for years to get to the NHL - but he's clearly in over his head. Guy looks like he's going to have a heart attack on the bench. Que sera sera.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
After today's microphone leak, I think he's toast, and that Travis Green will replace him. Not mid-season, though. They're gonna let things ride out.

I sympathize with him because he's a teacher and social worker by training - a totally good dude who has toiled for years to get to the NHL - but he's clearly in over his head. Guy looks like he's going to have a heart attack on the bench. Que sera sera.

Can't agree more. Incredible person, seems like a good guy, but he seems badly overwhelmed. It showed in the playoffs the year before.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Travis green's interviews seem just as boring as WD tho, which is unfortunate.

I wish we had a guy like Jon Cooper, or Trotz. Those guys can talk hockey ALL day.

Even Dallas Eakins loves hockey, I would like to see him get a shot in utica.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
As sports fans the head coach is so critical and so vital a role. Any team can look great with one.

Most toronto losses this year are on goaltending.

Willie is done

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I don't give any ****s if WD is a nice guy or not, I really don't care. Fire his ass. He sucks at his job.

It's embarrassing when commentators are saying WD sucks too.

Canucks just jad to be the team to hire a rookie GM, rookie head coach and rookie president, didn't they?

This franchise just loves embarassing themselves.

vcanuck

Feb 7, 2011
I don't give any ****s if WD is a nice guy or not, I really don't care. Fire his ass. He sucks at his job.

It's embarrassing when commentators are saying WD sucks too.

Canucks just jad to be the team to hire a rookie GM, rookie head coach and rookie president, didn't they?

This franchise just loves embarassing themselves.

we've mastered the art of embarrassing ourselves.

yoss

May 25, 2011

Yeah that's the hard part for me, seems like a good guy with a big heart, want to root for him and to his credit I thought the team did well last season to make the playoffs under him.

The last game in the Calgary series was where he started to lose me, some of the refusal to match lines, roster decisions, ice-time etc. are close to inexcusable imo. Not exactly thrilled it had to be Craig Simpson to call him out, but he wasn't wrong, the criticism is warranted.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
Well if Willie is gone and a new head coach is named before the end of May it'll be 4 different head coaches in less than 3 years... Which is nice.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad