Coach Willie Desjardins Thread Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Yeah that's the hard part for me, seems like a good guy with a big heart, want to root for him and to his credit I thought the team did well last season to make the playoffs.

The last game in the Calgary series was where he started to lose me, some of the refusal to match lines, roster decisions, ice-time etc. are close to inexcusable imo. Not exactly thrilled it had to be Craig Simpson to call him out, but he wasn't wrong, the criticism is warranted.

I'm with you....there's nothing sadder than a guy in his late 50's who's toiled for years to get his shot at the NHL, has a great track record in junior as a teacher and mentor, yet must be finding that he's totally out of his depth in the NHL...and in probably one of the worst markets in the NHL for coaches anyway....but it is, what it is..and since they're paying Travis Green anyway, it's much like what the Sens did last year sacking McLean and promoting Cameron from Binghampton....seemed to work for them... Whenever the end comes though, I hope they do the right thing for Willie and keep him working the in the organization in some capacity...in the right position he could still be an asset.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
wtf dude. :shakehead

Quick question, have you heard him speak before on tsn1040?. He was on the radio for a good hour or two, and he was great, insightful, and just a great guy. He knows his hockey, he had no chance in Edmonton.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Pretty much. I don't feel sorry for man that sucks at his job and makes millions of dollars. he can **** right off.

I mean I hate to sound like the bad guy here, but in a business like sports, there is no time for sympathy, especially for a coach that hasn't even brought you any success.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Quick question, have you heard him speak before on tsn1040?. He was on the radio for a good hour or two, and he was great, insightful, and just a great guy. He knows his hockey, he had no chance in Edmonton.

Guy rode his vets near as I could tell on the Marlies (who had a solid group of vets). Seemed doomed to failure with the way the Oilers were constructed (not many vets).

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

Great, we can let another team make that mistake then. We don't need to embarrass ourselves any further.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

yes and I've also seen his coaching tactics. I don't want his "swarm" system anywhere near our prospects.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Well if Willie is gone and a new head coach is named before the end of May it'll be 4 different head coaches in less than 3 years... Which is nice.....

This gets paraded around a lot during coaching discussions but is the alternative better? Sticking with a bad coach for the sake of not wanting to make another change?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Honestly kinda feel bad for him, must feel like an eternity for this season to end for him.

I don't feel bad for him at all. He's choosing to play Vey in key situations over the Sedins, and there are many other reasons to question his thinking.

NuxFan09

Jun 8, 2008
Merritt, BC

It's embarrassing that we have an NHL head coach who sounds like he literally doesn't know what he's talking about. I mean, listen to him. No insight whatsoever. Benning may be awkward too but at least it seems like he knows for sure what he's trying to say. His delivery is just off.

What's utterly perplexing though is that this guy SHOULD be a smart hockey guy, given the success he's had at every level. It's not like the Canucks plucked him out of midget hockey or something. He's got two WHL championships and and a Calder Cup!

To be clear, I know success at lower levels doesn't always translate but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm just talking about the basic fundamentals of coaching and knowing what you're talking about to the media and such.

jigsaw99

Dec 20, 2010
Honestly kinda feel bad for him, must feel like an eternity for this season to end for him.

he's too stubborn and wants to do thing only his way. feels like he doesn't want to respond to criticism and change so can his ass. He's going to be doing things like playing Vey and Dorsett after TV timeouts his whole career.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Yikes. It's one thing to want a guy fired, but..the guy is a human being. You must have a big heart for other people.

A pro sports head coach is like a political figure.

He is almost meant to be hated by the right person.

I found myself questioning myself when I truly was seeing blind rage at Vey getting played over Virtanen but I did come to realize he's a human being and we all make mistakes.

That said, he's under qualified and the only thing that makes me feel good is making fun of him.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
he's too stubborn and wants to do thing only his way. feels like he doesn't want to respond to criticism and change so can his ass. He's going to be doing things like playing Vey and Dorsett after TV timeouts his whole career.

He definitely needs to be canned after the season is done, but the guy gets ripped to shreds after each loss lol. His voice is literally trembling in the post pressers.

Most of this anger should be towards Benning and especially Aquilini and Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad