Confirmed with Link: Coach Noel extended 1 year

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I'm not really anti-Noel like some here.
I've seen him do good things and I've seen him do things that make me really scratch my head...

The worst head scratcher was why our most common line combination after LLW was Kane-Jokinen-Miettinen.

Yeah I agree, I think Claude's a smart guy when he knows what he has but he struggles to find things that work. I love the way he uses LLW and Buff-Enstrom/Hainsey-Bogo when they are healthy, and I really don't think he is bad with young players like he gets knocked for (Redmond, Postma, Bogo, Kane, Burmi have all played well in big minutes at times for this team). However the jumble that has been our other lines the last two seasons and how he struggles to adapt when things aren't working (Kane-Joki-Miettinen/GST) have hurt us.

Overall, I think he has done a satisfactory job and given the horses he has been provided with (especially a ~.906 save percentage) we can't really expect anymore. Not every coach is Paul MacLean and even he had tremendous goaltending all year.

I'm happy to keep him around a while longer, if only for his post-game conferences :naughty:

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
I personally think Noel has done a pretty decent job considering the parts he has had of work with
Disagree...
  1. His waste of Kane's talent borders on criminal... Kane/Jokinen/Miettinen :shakehead:help: If he had consistently put any two of Burmistrov/Antropov/Wellwod with Kane, we'd probably be in the playoffs
  2. It is well known that while Pavelic is a bit sub-par to begin with, he is an unmitigated disaster on the 2nd night of back-to-back games. See http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013...ej-pavelec-al-montoya-claude-noel-goalie-2013 Fercryinoutloud Pasquale (let alone Montoya) could've done as well if not better than Pavelic in those 2nd nights.
For item 1, Miettinen is gone, but Jokinen should be 3rd or 4th line centre, assuming he's not heatlthy-scratched a lot. As for item 2, use the backup goalie, please. I wonder how many back-to-backs there'll be this season, with a normal, uncompressed schedule.

If Jokinen is still centring Kane, and Pavelic plays 70+ games, fire Noel.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
A 1 year extension seems fair. As others have mentioned the writing is on the wall for Noel. Get this team to the playoffs or you are gone. Now Chevy needs to add a few more pieces to give him/us a fighting chance.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Disagree...
  1. His waste of Kane's talent borders on criminal... Kane/Jokinen/Miettinen :shakehead:help: If he had consistently put any two of Burmistrov/Antropov/Wellwod with Kane, we'd probably be in the playoffs
  2. It is well known that while Pavelic is a bit sub-par to begin with, he is an unmitigated disaster on the 2nd night of back-to-back games. See http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2013...ej-pavelec-al-montoya-claude-noel-goalie-2013 Fercryinoutloud Pasquale (let alone Montoya) could've done as well if not better than Pavelic in those 2nd nights.
For item 1, Miettinen is gone, but Jokinen should be 3rd or 4th line centre, assuming he's not heatlthy-scratched a lot. As for item 2, use the backup goalie, please. I wonder how many back-to-backs there'll be this season, with a normal, uncompressed schedule.

If Jokinen is still centring Kane, and Pavelic plays 70+ games, fire Noel.

Agree with you in principle on the B2B's however one of our big challenges was Montoya got injured at least twice and it forced the coach's hand to overplay Pav's. Eddie was not an option IMHO he was emergency only based on his year in the AHL . I think Monty's injuries really hurt us last year because he was ok when he played.

Last edited:

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
I think 1 year extension, so 2 years remaining is fair. Coaches only get multiyear extensions when they have accomplished something. This gives him the time to prove he can do something with what he has.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Ha ha...I do have some sympathy for Noel. Chevy's stuck him with basically the same team that missed the playoffs in 2010-11 in Atlanta plus Jokinen and a bunch of 4th liners. "Claude - why can't you make the playoffs when I go out and sign you great players like Tanner Glass, Antti Miettinen and Randy Jones?"

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
Ha ha...I do have some sympathy for Noel. Chevy's stuck him with basically the same team that missed the playoffs in 2010-11 in Atlanta plus Jokinen and a bunch of 4th liners. "Claude - why can't you make the playoffs when I go out and sign you great players like Tanner Glass, Antti Miettinen and Randy Jones?"

I have to vehemently disagree!! Miettinen was a waiver wire pick up not a signing. Besides that I agree. It's not like the jets are a great team and they have shown improvement in the two years Noel has led them. A one year extension was fair. He didn't deserve to be fired but also didn't deserve a long term extension. Although bylsma got one for leading an all star team to a semi-final appearance. I could have done that.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I have to vehemently disagree!! Miettinen was a waiver wire pick up not a signing. Besides that I agree. It's not like the jets are a great team and they have shown improvement in the two years Noel has led them. A one year extension was fair. He didn't deserve to be fired but also didn't deserve a long term extension. Although bylsma got one for leading an all star team to a semi-final appearance. I could have done that.

I'm not sure how you can say they have shown improvement. I guess if you call the first year 2 games over 500 and the 2nd year 3 games over 500 an improvement. Really they are in the same place and statistically they are in the bottom 3rd in most categories.

winterpeg

Sharp Dressed Man
Feb 20, 2013
Winnipeg
I'm not sure how you can say they have shown improvement. I guess if you call the first year 2 games over 500 and the 2nd year 3 games over 500 an improvement. Really they are in the same place and statistically they are in the bottom 3rd in most categories.

But this year they were ACTUALLY a 500 team, including overtime losses. Breaking 500 because you lose a bunch in OT is a lot different than breaking 500 INCLUDING the games you lost in OT.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Don't like it. Noel should have been given a 2-3 year extension so that he can dig down and implement a system. This is a very wishy-washy move imo

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Tough to take your post seriously when you don't even spell the coaches name right, and I am aware of why you spelled it the way you did.

I personally think Noel has done a pretty decent job considering the parts he has had of work with

He's only slightly done better then Ramsey and with an older Kane, Bogosian, Burmi, Little, two years of Wheeler, etc. It's playoffs this year or he's gone. This organization should be set to a high standard and 3 years with this team and the smallest possible improvement each year while missing the playoffs won't cut it. He got more time then any coach since Bob Hartley coached the team. Show us you can coach this team to the playoffs if you want to stay.

Your bolded and my bolded from above are the reason it's not quite the same. Most of the core wasn't what they are now before the move. If they can improve, why can't Noel's track record?

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
As much as I like Noel, 4 years is enough time for a coach to prove himself, if he can't make the playoffs within 4, then well...

How about the GM, but right Chevy is building a team exclusively through the draft, no other winning team has done this exclusivley but Chevy will be the first, just ask him, in 6-7 years the Jets will be a playoff team just like the Oilers.:sarcasm:

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
How about the GM, but right Chevy is building a team exclusively through the draft, no other winning team has done this exclusivley but Chevy will be the first, just ask him, in 6-7 years the Jets will be a playoff team just like the Oilers.:sarcasm:

not sure how you can critique Chevy.
inherited a team last minute in his 1st season.
fielded a team in a strike-shortened season.
only had 2 years to draft and, so far, his record looks really, really good. if Scheifele can reach his potential and Trouba's as advertised, and you look at some of the gravy non-1st round picks that may be with the big club this season or next? Chevy gets a solid B+ if not an A.
waiver pick-ups: didn't do a bad job. used the system to its advantage. got Clitsome, which i think is an excellent acquisition. got Wright, who i like as a 3rd liner. got some filler crap players to populate line-up, so whatever.
he also re-signed our top players last off season.
this season, we just need him to match Kane up with talent, either from within or via trade, and needs to replace Hainsey with a good stay-at-home D-man. that's the big measuring stick. and that's the difference between playoffs and missing the playoffs.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
It doesn't take 4-5 years to implement a system with a roster that has most of it's core for the last 2.

I do agree with you Duke, and see your points here. I will say though that I do believe this falls squarely on Chevy's shoulders too. As a GM he really hasn't gotten legitimate, proven NHL'ers to fill roles and add key depth. Sure we have a core (Ladd, Little, Kane, Wheeler, Enstrom, Byguglien, Bogosian, Pavelec, etc), but truth be told, MOST of those guys have done their job or as good as could be expected, in my opinion. Sure we have some injuries, but all teams lose players here and there.

I'm with you Duke, but to me guys like Ladd, Little, Wheeler, Kane, Enstrom, Byfuglien, Bogosian, etc can all only do so much. We've got a pretty worthy top line trio, we've got a pretty good top 3 defence, we've got a young'ish goaltender with potential, but what else? Nothing too worthy, in my opinion. These guys such as Ladd - Little - Wheeler aren't talented or near good enough for us to be a one line offensive team, but truth be told that's really all we are + Kane.

I like Noel and some things he does, I question some things as a fan, as we do with nearly every coach in the league. At the end of the day in my opinion Kevin Cheveldayoff has to make some moves and acquisitions here to move this core and team along, because right now we're squeezing nearly everything out of them that we can.

... But, on the flip side, I personally thought we had some pretty good depth for last season, but it did not work out. Is that Noel's fault, maybe, he is the coach. I like that we had Ladd - Little - Wheeler, we had hopes that Kane - Jokinen would form 2/3 of a legitimate 2nd line, with perhaps Wellwood or Burmistrov filling the RW spot. We had saavy veterans in Antropov and Ponikarovsky anchoring the 3rd line, with hopes that one of Wellwood or Burmistorv would fill that 3rd line wing spot. We have Slater as our checking line C, some spare parts, etc.

Our defence on paper if healthy looked solid enough to get us by.

Pavelec runs hot and cold.

Etc, etc, etc. So ya, at the end of the day could Noel have done a better job bringing this group together even in a shortened season? Maybe. But, even though our depth failed us (again), our goaltending was hot/cold, injuries, lack of punch in the top 6, etc.. We still somehow managed to stay in the playoff race until the near end. I hoped and expected for that.

Last edited:

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I will say, it will be interesting to see what Chevy does here in the offseason or coming weeks in which will tie into what sort of roster the coaching staff is given. While we do have a handful of UFA and RFA, and Chevy has hinted at the possibility of some changes, we can probably bet that the majority of the team will be back. Is that a good thing? We'll see. I'm not looking for a makeover, that's unrealistic, but, if the roster (below) is close to what we go with, is it that much better, if at all, than last years? Of course the game is played on the ice, not on paper, so we could stand to improve, but how much? and will it be enough?

I would bet that this is a realistic roster headed forward, given what we know today.

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Jokinen -
Tangradi - Scheifele - Burmistrov
Wright - Slater - Peluso
Thorburn

Enstrom - Byfuglien
Clitsome - Bogosian
Stuart - Trouba/Redmond/Postma/Kulda

Pavelec
Montoya

I fully expect Chevy to add a winger of some sort to help out in the top 6, who that is is yet to be determined. So, depending on how good that player is, how that player fits in, etc.. barring a change or two from Chevy in the trade column/free agency, I do believe Noel will be dealt much of the same hand he was last season.

But... as I've said for a while here, my hunch is Chevy may make a bold move or two to turn the tide a bit here, and send things more to managements vision and direction.

Last edited:

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
not to focus on Chevy, but I assume the D will have Redmond and Trouba playing.
Hainseys gone, obviously, but I wouldn't be shocked if Buff or Stuart are also gone.

Thesaurus

Lyrical Wordsmith
Dec 14, 2011
The Cosmos
not to focus on Chevy, but I assume the D will have Redmond and Trouba playing.
Hainseys gone, obviously, but I wouldn't be shocked if Buff or Stuart are also gone.

I highly doubt Stuart gets moved, he's a LHD and he's a heart and soul guy. I wouldn't be surprised either if Hainsey doesn't get signed quickly if we re-signed him late midsummer.

meedle

May 17, 2011
Winnipeg
I highly doubt Stuart gets moved, he's a LHD and he's a heart and soul guy. I wouldn't be surprised either if Hainsey doesn't get signed quickly if we re-signed him late midsummer.

My bet is on Hainsey's rights get traded for like a 4th or 5th to someone.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think it was the perfect contract.

Noel deserves one more year. This is his show me contract. Get this group to the playoffs or so long.

Hopefully Chevy gives him a couple more tools to work with, and I also hope players like Byfuglien and Pavelec have enough respect for him to come in to camp in shape and in the proper mindset.

As an aside, I'm not exactly sure how Kane's talent has been wasted considering the amount of goals he's scored in the past 2 years and considering he is just 21.

I am pretty happy with this deal.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I think it was the perfect contract.

Noel deserves one more year. This is his show me contract. Get this group to the playoffs or so long.

Hopefully Chevy gives him a couple more tools to work with, and I also hope players like Byfuglien and Pavelec have enough respect for him to come in to camp in shape and in the proper mindset.

As an aside, I'm not exactly sure how Kane's talent has been wasted considering the amount of goals he's scored in the past 2 years and considering he is just 21.

I am pretty happy with this deal.

It's always a waste if someone isn't given the tools (team mates) to live up to their potential. In this case it's wasted potential, the difference between what he's putting up and what could be possible for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad